The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Isn't he playing with a recently broken thumb on his throwing hand?

Yes and props for that but he routinely fails to rise to the occasion when the team needs a play. McVay makes him look much better than he actually is.

9 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Put Trace McSorely in!

The meme lord is inactive himself.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It wasn't an oil painting, but I'll take the W....

Chris Collinsworth was blaming the wind, but I wonder if Allen was a little too amped up. He was missing badly on the deep ball and twice put too much on the ball with the short crossing pattern in the end zone. Those could easily have been costly misses.

I was definitely happy with the defense. Even though LJ's athleticism resulted in some big plays for the Ravens, we managed to hold them in check for the most part. It makes me feel slightly better about facing Mahomes next week. (Yes I know, the Chiefs still have to beat the Browns, but ....you know...)

@Van40 Your boys deserved better. The game boiled down to that 100 yd pick six. I was thinking OT, before that play happened. The play right before  should have been a TD as well, if not for the Bills putting extra pressure on Lamar at exactly the time they needed it.

Going to sit back and enjoy the games today, sans my blood pressure meds. Lets go Browns and Saints!

Edited by RUPERTKBD

BTW: I've mentioned this before, but in 2016 Baker Mayfiled's Oklahoma Sooners beat Patrick Mahomes' Tech Tech Red Raiders 66-59 in what is considered one of the most epic offensive performance by tow college QBs ever:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/revisiting-the-epic-patrick-mahomes-vs-baker-mayfield-college-qb-duel-between-texas-tech-oklahoma/ar-BB1cP8Wz?li=AAggXBR

Completions Attempts Yards Touchdowns Interceptions
Baker Mayfield 27 36 545 7 0
Patrick Mahomes 52 88 734 5 1

I watched this game live and it was just ridiculous. I don't remember seeing a single punt, although I suppose I could have missed one among all the TDs....I remember the late pick that sealed the deal for the Sooners.

Joe Mixon also had a huge game on the ground for Oklahoma. With over 200 yards gained, he pretty much made up the difference between the passing totals for the two QBs.

Lets hope that today's matchup is half as entertaining....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: I've mentioned this before, but in 2016 Baker Mayfiled's Oklahoma Sooners beat Patrick Mahomes' Tech Tech Red Raiders 66-59 in what is considered one of the most epic offensive performance by tow college QBs ever:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/revisiting-the-epic-patrick-mahomes-vs-baker-mayfield-college-qb-duel-between-texas-tech-oklahoma/ar-BB1cP8Wz?li=AAggXBR

Completions Attempts Yards Touchdowns Interceptions
Baker Mayfield 27 36 545 7 0
Patrick Mahomes 52 88 734 5 1

I watched this game live and it was just ridiculous. I don't remember seeing a single punt, although I suppose I could have missed one among all the TDs....I remember the late pick that sealed the deal for the Sooners.

Joe Mixon also had a huge game on the ground for Oklahoma. With over 200 yards gained, he pretty much made up the difference between the passing totals for the two QBs.

Lets hope that today's matchup is half as entertaining....

Unfortunately I think KC routes Cleveland 38-24

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Van40 said:

What a sorry way to lose. Qb and offense need to get better.

Get Lamar some weapons either a smaller faster or quick route runner who can get separation,  or a taller contested catch guy like Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay to start.

Lamar Jackson deserves better from Greg Roman and John Harbaugh he is a better passer than the numbers would suggest. He is not a RB playing QB like Kaepernick or Tebow and Taysom Hill.

They need to incorporate more passing concepts in the offensive script instead of just qb designed runs and zone read option type stuff.

You can't win in the modern NFL without a potent pass game if you want to compete with the legit offences in the NFL.

QB,CB,WR are the 3 most important positions imo that can take a team to the next level of you get the right piece there.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It wasn't an oil painting, but I'll take the W....

Chris Collinsworth was blaming the wind, but I wonder if Allen was a little too amped up. He was missing badly on the deep ball and twice put too much on the ball with the short crossing pattern in the end zone. Those could easily have been costly misses.

I was definitely happy with the defense. Even though LJ's athleticism resulted in some big plays for the Ravens, we managed to hold them in check for the most part. It makes me feel slightly better about facing Mahomes next week. (Yes I know, the Chiefs still have to beat the Browns, but ....you know...)

@Van40 Your boys deserved better. The game boiled down to that 100 yd pick six. I was thinking OT, before that play happened. The play right before  should have been a TD as well, if not for the Bills putting extra pressure on Lamar at exactly the time they needed it.

Going to sit back and enjoy the games today, sans my blood pressure meds. Lets go Browns and Saints!

Wind was a huge factor forsure. Tucker missing 2 fgs in the same game just never happens. Allen had Diggs for a td and the wind just takes it away. Our backup Huntley had Hollywood for a td too but again the wind...

The pick by Lamar awful. He started forcing things cause of the poor line play and the fact they only had 3 on the board. LJ not being able to finish that game stings. Didn't wanna go out like that. 

Good for the Bills though! Great fanbase and you guys deserve it. I hope you guys win the sb!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I certainly don't expect anything like what I saw in 2016, but hope springs eternal....

It's incredible to me how quickly things have changed in the NFL. In the past being able to win with just a strong run game and run defence was a sound strategy especially come playoff time, but it doesn't seem enough anymore.

Pass first offences and a focus on being sound in pass coverage defensively even if it means you have to leave the boxes lighter and you give up some 5 yard runs from time to time has become preferable to giving up pass plays over 15-20 yards.

16 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Get Lamar some weapons either a smaller faster or quick route runner who can get separation,  or a taller contested catch guy like Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay to start.

Lamar Jackson deserves better from Greg Roman and John Harbaugh he is a better passer than the numbers would suggest. He is not a RB playing QB like Kaepernick or Tebow and Taysom Hill.

They need to incorporate more passing concepts in the offensive script instead of just qb designed runs and zone read option type stuff.

You can't win in the modern NFL without a potent pass game if you want to compete with the legit offences in the NFL.

QB,CB,WR are the 3 most important positions imo that can take a team to the next level of you get the right piece there.

True. But if you are honest with yourself you have to admit that the Ravens running game was pretty weak against the Bills. It was not just the missing passing concepts it was also the running game.

I was quite surprised that Allen had very little options to pass to, because the Bills receivers were fully covered by the Ravens CB*s. Ravens QB and CB are strong. They really need one or two really good WR. 

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

@c00kies Who do you want as the next Eagles HC and OC?

I am assuming whoever the Eagles can get to take the job will have to be able to massage Wentz's huge ego because it doesn't look he has positive trade value at this point.

The fact he got Pederson fired in part because he didn't want to run his plays and his style of offence while always blaming anything but himself for his bad play this season has really turned me off him as a player.

Whoever the new coach is will have to be fine with a meddling Owner and GM pulling the strings while he tries to keep the locker room from falling apart.

With how things stand I could see the Eagles picking in the top 10 next year as well...

26 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ronnie Stanley coming back should make the oline elite again and that should help the offense right away. Need a center that knows how to snap the ball properly too. Snaps were a issue all year. 

The biggest improvement this team could make is like u said a true #1 receiving threat. Could be WR or a elite TE (Kyle Pitts). 

Most importantly, someone please take Greg Roman off our hands. Praying he gets fired.  His run game concepts are awesome but that's all he brings and he reached his limit. He's horrible in the passing game. He has no clue what to do. On 3rd and 4th downs his goto is qb option/power. Doesn't utilize screens or the deep passing game. Even if it stinks, you have to push the ball downfield to keep the D honest. 

Anyways the Ravens have a young core of about 10 guys that they are building around. The team is still young and has cap space for another yr or 2 to make a long run. 

It's mock draft season! 

Edited by Van40
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

True. But if you are honest with yourself you have to admit that the Ravens running game was pretty weak against the Bills. It was not just the missing passing concepts it was also the running game.

I was quite surprised that Allen had very little options to pass to, because the Bills receivers were fully covered by the Ravens CB*s. Ravens QB and CB are strong. They really need one or two really good WR. 

I would put that more on the OL for not providing adequate protection and opening up holes against a Buffalo defence that you can run the ball on.

Lamar needs to get better too. If he can take a step forward as a passer he will be much more dangerous if he can prove to defences he doesn't necessarily need to always run to be a threat.

I am waiting for him to have more games where he passes for over 250-300 yards more consistently.

The is also a failure of the Ravens game plan. When you rely so heavily on one aspect of offence such as running and it doesn't work you should have a backup plan.

The Ravens clearly are not built to play from behind and throw the ball as currently constructed. They are built to get a lead and force the other team to catch up against their excellent defence.

37 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

@c00kies Who do you want as the next Eagles HC and OC?

I am assuming whoever the Eagles can get to take the job will have to be able to massage Wentz's huge ego because it doesn't look he has positive trade value at this point.

The fact he got Pederson fired in part because he didn't want to run his plays and his style of offence while always blaming anything but himself for his bad play this season has really turned me off him as a player.

Whoever the new coach is will have to be fine with a meddling Owner and GM pulling the strings while he tries to keep the locker room from falling apart.

With how things stand I could see the Eagles picking in the top 10 next year as well...

I guess we need a new DC now too haha.

I'm not even sure tbh, as none of the candidates really excite me. We have so many holes and uncertainty in our lineup that we won't really see a huge improvement without a roster shakeup anyway.

I'm hoping for a more dynamic offense with the ability to spread the ball around and keep teams on their toes.

The Eagles need a lot of help on both sides of the ball, and it will take a few years to get that.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

It's incredible to me how quickly things have changed in the NFL. In the past being able to win with just a strong run game and run defence was a sound strategy especially come playoff time, but it doesn't seem enough anymore.

Pass first offences and a focus on being sound in pass coverage defensively even if it means you have to leave the boxes lighter and you give up some 5 yard runs from time to time has become preferable to giving up pass plays over 15-20 yards.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but other than Allen scrambling, I think I saw one or two running plays, (both to Singletary) before half time.

TBH, I was surprised that the Ravens didn't blitz more often....

50 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

They did a fantastic job, IMO. Diggs is Diggs, so he's going to get his catches, but I think Brown might have been the most targeted receiver for Allen. I don't have the stats in front of me (and I'm too lazy to look them up) but I don't think Beasley had a single catch...