The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

On 3/31/2021 at 3:47 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Where does Kyle Pitts go? The pro day and everybody’s write up on the guy I’m on the hype train. Only problem as a Cowboys fan it’s very unlikely he’d fall that far and that’d be way too much of a luxury with so many other needs to be filled.

Cowboys are either drafting Rashawn Slater, Patrick Surtain or Jaycee Horn if they stick and pick.

Though Jerrah loves his athletes and stars.

If for some reason the Broncos,Lions,Falcons,Dolphins all pass on Pitts the Cowboys would have the best offensive weapons in the league along with the Bucs.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:47 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Where does Kyle Pitts go? The pro day and everybody’s write up on the guy I’m on the hype train. Only problem as a Cowboys fan it’s very unlikely he’d fall that far and that’d be way too much of a luxury with so many other needs to be filled.

He's a guaranteed catch on 3rd and short with that wing span and vertical. Insane. You'd need the tallest CB in the league to compete on jump balls with him

On 4/3/2021 at 12:48 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Cowboys are either drafting Rashawn Slater, Patrick Surtain or Jaycee Horn if they stick and pick.

Though Jerrah loves his athletes and stars.

If for some reason the Broncos,Lions,Falcons,Dolphins all pass on Pitts the Cowboys would have the best offensive weapons in the league along with the Bucs.

The smart pick would be one of the CBs like you mentioned but Jerry loves to make a splash pick. Geez Pitts, Gallup, Elliot, Cooper, Lamb and Prescott on the field at the same time, its TDs galore. Watching Pitts in the combine, he's very impressive. His routes are pretty solid for a guy thats 6'5 245 lbs, just judging from his cone drills. Pretty fast feet and smooth transitions. The most telling is the way he catches the ball. Hands are in front of him, catches balls that aren't even perfectly placed, just all mitts. The right system, right QB, he can be in the upper echelon with Kittle and Kelce in year 1.

• Upvote 1

Watched Aaron Rodgers on Jeopardy last night

The Canadian contestant in final jeopardy answered

"Who wanted to kick that field goal??"

Made me laugh out loud!!

Rodgers response was

“That is a great question. Should be correct, but unfortunately for this game today it’s incorrect.”

Edited by Mackcanuck

Would like to see everyone post a 3 round mock draft for their own team(s).

Think it's a pretty fun way to pass the time until the actual draft to see where guys may potentially end up based on needs.

Of course a trade up or down by more teams totally ruins draft slotting but it is still a fun exercise regardless imo.

I have a run a handful of simulations using a couple of different mock draft simulators without accounting for trades of course.

For the Eagles they need young talent all over the place. But their trade down telegraphed Hurts getting a chance to start next season without competition.

So that leaves me to think either the Eagles will draft an OL,CB, or WR.

At 12 they should still get a shot at one of Sewell,Slater,Horn,Surtain,Smith, or Waddle incredibly thanks to teams desperate to jockey up for a starting potential franchise qb.

These guys are all instant day 1 impact starters with potential to be good for a while if they can stay healthy.

White Pitts is an anomaly thanks to great size and speed, Devonta Smith imo is still a risk to be just a glorified slot WR thanks to his beanpole frame that is one of the skinniest in NFL history.

Soooo.....add Brett Favre to the list of former athletes who don't like current athletes making political statements:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/brett-favre-wants-politics-out-of-sports-says-kneeling-for-national-anthem-has-created-more-turmoil/ar-BB1fF31h?li=AAggXBR

Pro Football Hall of Famer Brett Favre said he does not want politics involved in sports because it's hurting the games.

Favre made his comments Sunday on "The Andrew Klavan Show," on The Daily Wire. He added that he believes most fans want sports to remain about sports, not politics. 

"I know when I turn on a game, I want to watch a game. I want to watch players play and teams win, lose, come from behind," Favre said. "I want to watch all the important parts of the game, not what's going on outside of the game, and I think the general fan feels the same way,

"I can't tell you how many people, have said to me, 'I don't watch anymore, it's not about the game anymore,' and I tend to agree."

Favre's comments came days after Major League Baseball decided to move the league's All-Star Game to Coors Field in Denver, Colorado after pulling it from Truist Park near Atlanta, Georgia. The decision to pull the game from the Atlanta Braves' stadium came after Georgia passed voting laws likened to Jim Crow-era laws.

This week, athletes have spoken out about the death of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man who was shot by a white police officer in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.

The 20-year NFL veteran and Super Bowl 31 winner was open about voting for former president Donald Trump in the 2020 election. When asked why it was controversial for him to support Trump, but not for athletes to kneel for the national anthem, Favre said the controversary was very lopsided and kneeling for the anthem has "created more turmoil, than good."

"It's really a shame that we've come to this," he said. "Something has to unify us, and I felt like the flag, standing patriotically — because Blacks and whites and Hispanics have fought for this country and died for this country. It’s too bad."

Let me start by saying how shocked I am that a good ol Mississippi boy and Trump fan has this opinion.....:rolleyes:

Also, I just have to say that anyone who "stops watching sports" because an athlete takes a knee, or wears something with "Say her name" on it, wasn't much of a fan to begin with....<_<

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Soooo.....add Brett Favre to the list of former athletes who don't like current athletes making political statements:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/brett-favre-wants-politics-out-of-sports-says-kneeling-for-national-anthem-has-created-more-turmoil/ar-BB1fF31h?li=AAggXBR

Let me start by saying how shocked I am that a good ol Mississippi boy and Trump fan has this opinion.....:rolleyes:

Also, I just have to say that anyone who "stops watching sports" because an athlete takes a knee, or wears something with "Say her name" on it, wasn't much of a fan to begin with....<_<

So I take it he thinks champions should no longer visit the White House.  Probably also has an issue with this picture:

268183ff-e445-4be6-afdb-2e6de2051701-AP_Smith__Carlos-50_Years_Later.JPG

• Cheers 1

As we all know, Trevor Lawrence is going to be one of the big stories in the next NFL season.  Many of us will actually watch some Jacksonville Jaguar games.

If you haven't already heard enough about Lawrence, here's another article from Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover?suid=5cc1babffc942d7988391785&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 041421&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

An excerpt and a photo from the article (gotta love the aura around him):

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Lawrence is not just a great quarterback who went 34–2 in three seasons as a starter at Clemson, including a national championship victory over Alabama as a freshman. He is the rare prospect whose talent is beyond debate. Quarterback trainer Jordan Palmer, who first saw Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp when he was a rising high school senior, says, “Every year there is zero, one or two kids who you go, ‘Well, all right, that guy is going to be a star in the NFL.’ ”

Lawrence was one of those, and he has only improved. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. ranks him the fourth-best quarterback prospect since 1979, behind only John Elway, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. Last fall NFL fans wondered which team would win the Championship of Suck, finish with the league’s worst record and win the 6' 6", 220-pound Trevor Lawrence Trophy. Lawrence’s future is tantalizing to everybody, it seems, except him.

Trevor Lawrence portrait for Sports Illustrated

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

As we all know, Trevor Lawrence is going to be one of the big stories in the next NFL season.  Many of us will actually watch some Jacksonville Jaguar games.

If you haven't already heard enough about Lawrence, here's another article from Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/14/trevor-lawrence-magazine-cover-story-daily-cover?suid=5cc1babffc942d7988391785&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 041421&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

An excerpt and a photo from the article (gotta love the aura around him):

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Lawrence is not just a great quarterback who went 34–2 in three seasons as a starter at Clemson, including a national championship victory over Alabama as a freshman. He is the rare prospect whose talent is beyond debate. Quarterback trainer Jordan Palmer, who first saw Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp when he was a rising high school senior, says, “Every year there is zero, one or two kids who you go, ‘Well, all right, that guy is going to be a star in the NFL.’ ”

Lawrence was one of those, and he has only improved. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. ranks him the fourth-best quarterback prospect since 1979, behind only John Elway, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. Last fall NFL fans wondered which team would win the Championship of Suck, finish with the league’s worst record and win the 6' 6", 220-pound Trevor Lawrence Trophy. Lawrence’s future is tantalizing to everybody, it seems, except him.

Trevor Lawrence portrait for Sports Illustrated

He would have gone first overall after his freshman year if he'd been eligible.  Strong, accurate arm, and one of the highest football IQs I've ever seen.  He's been playing the first half of most games over the last two years and putting up those stats.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, King Heffy said:

He would have gone first overall after his freshman year if he'd been eligible.  Strong, accurate arm, and one of the highest football IQs I've ever seen.  He's been playing the first half of most games over the last two years and putting up those stats.

Let's see your 3 round mock draft for the Broncos. 

I know how people gripe about Benning in Vancouver.  Can someone explain how Schneider has kept his job in Seattle? I know he's good with late round picks. But he refuses to get linemen to protect his QB which is one of his best assets. He also struggles to get more receivers for his team as well. I know you need a strong defence, but you need a strong offence too, to have a balanced attack. 

I guess winning a Super Bowl gives you lots of leeway? 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know how people gripe about Benning in Vancouver.  Can someone explain how Schneider has kept his job in Seattle? I know he's good with late round picks. But he refuses to get linemen to protect his QB which is one of his best assets. He also struggles to get more receivers for his team as well. I know you need a strong defence, but you need a strong offence too, to have a balanced attack. 

Wasted years of excellence by their qb.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know how people gripe about Benning in Vancouver.  Can someone explain how Schneider has kept his job in Seattle? I know he's good with late round picks. But he refuses to get linemen to protect his QB which is one of his best assets. He also struggles to get more receivers for his team as well. I know you need a strong defence, but you need a strong 

Well yes and no... ask Doug Pederson how much leeway a coach gets.

On the other hand Howie Roseman has been protected pretty well by the Eagles owner from any heat. This is despite the fact the Super Bowl season was truly catching lighting in a bottle with Foles and having major output from veteran pieces acquired in free agency in LeGarette Blount, Chris Long and Patrick Robinson to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Unfortunately NFL.com's simulator doesn't allow for trades.

draft1.png

This would be awful for the Eagles lol.

Justin Fields is a guy that could slide, so I'm curious to see where he ends up.

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

From what I've read around online, sounds like Eagles need a stud O lineman

TBH we need everything lol. Eagles have to take BPA, whether that be a CB, WR, O-lineman, or a star who slides down. I suppose BPA isn't black and white. The other thing I don't like is seeing the Cowboys and Giants get better defensively (I'm hoping for Surtain to fall).

The good thing about having a lot of holes, is that you can be more flexible at the draft (and those ahead of you don't automatically know who you are drafting), but it means it takes several solid drafts to get there.

Ideally the Eagles wouldn't have passed on Jefferson last time, and wouldn't have needed a WR so early either.

Draft Day is finally here.  Interesting to see where this years crop of QBs end up, considering the many top QB prospects.

We know who is the top 2 picks are:  Lawrence and Wilson.

The question is who will SF will chose as their QB.  Will it be Jones as predicted or someone else.

Also, will NE pick a QB in first round.  Will they move up the draft to do so,

And how far Fields drop in the draft, considering he was once touted as #2 pick.