The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Pete Carroll: Seahawks have talked to Cam Newton

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2021, 12:55 PM EDT

The Seahawks reached out to free agent quarterback Cam Newton after Russell Wilson went down with a finger injury last week.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll confirmed today that the Seahawks and Newton touched base, although Carroll indicated that it was more about doing their due diligence with every available quarterback than an indication that Newton was likely to sign.

“Just so you know, we have talked to him. We’re talking to everybody that could help us,” Carroll said to Mike Salk of 710 ESPN.

Newton’s departure from New England was preceded by him missing five days of practice when he was out of town and missed daily testing at the team facility — an issue that wouldn’t have come up if he had been vaccinated at the time. Newton got the COVID-19 vaccine since then, and he said he wants to play.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

The Seahawks reached out to free agent quarterback Cam Newton after Russell Wilson went down with a finger injury last week.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll confirmed today that the Seahawks and Newton touched base, although Carroll indicated that it was more about doing their due diligence with every available quarterback than an indication that Newton was likely to sign.

“Just so you know, we have talked to him. We’re talking to everybody that could help us,” Carroll said to Mike Salk of 710 ESPN.

Newton’s departure from New England was preceded by him missing five days of practice when he was out of town and missed daily testing at the team facility — an issue that wouldn’t have come up if he had been vaccinated at the time. Newton got the COVID-19 vaccine since then, and he said he wants to play.

I guess Pete wasn’t too impressed with Eugene Smith.

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I still think Newton can be an NFL QB. He won't ever be the player he was in 2015, but he's definitely an option if a team needs a QB.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:30 AM, McBackup said:

I still think Newton can be an NFL QB. He won't ever be the player he was in 2015, but he's definitely an option if a team needs a QB.

He would be a good stop gap for Seattle played his best game of the season against them just last year in Seattle.

His quirky laid back personality would fit great with Caroll.

He can't be a huge downgrade from Geno Smith even though he doesn't know the offence.

Probably just use him to run and playaction deep shots to Lockett and Metcalf and co.

l am wondering why Cam Newton hasn't been signed by the Miami Dolphins? I mean Tua Tagovailoa got injured early in the season (week 2 or week 3). If I remember correctly he has an rib- injury which means that he will be out for at least several weeks (could be even 1 - 2 months). Interestingly Dolphins decided to give Tagovailoas' back - up a chance to prove himself even though Cam Newton was available.

I think one of the reasons might be that the back- up is familiar with the system and knows the routes wide-receivers and  tight ends are running. I watched lots of Pats games last season and Newton was for sure one of the reasons why Pats didn't make the playoffs. He threw too many interceptions  and  got sacked too many times. I am not a Cam Newton fan.

How long will Wilson be out with his finger injury?

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Pats finally got a dominant win - I know, only the Jets...

Brady, 1st / only QB with 600 TDs.  We (Pats) are missing him big time.

that's quite a relief for Pats fans after 4 straight losses at Gillette Stadium. I am convinced that Mac Jones is going to be a great QB. He needs more time to develop and learn how to play in the NFL. Pats were the team that spent the most money in free agency. Based on the players they added in free agency with Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith and Judon especially expectations were high for this season. I expect two more losses against the Bills. I can't see them making the playoffs this season.