The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Rate this topic

Tony Romo

Wow, I mean I was a Brady fan when he was a Patriot, but come on, he's going to make more money as an analyst then he will as a player?
(after this next season, Brady is @ $333 million or so as a player).

Tom Brady Gets a 10-year, $375 million deal as lead Fox NFL analyst

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady has signed a 10-year $375 million deal with Fox.

•  
  •  
  •  

Tom Brady has already figured out what he's going to be doing after his playing days are over as Fox Sports announced on Tuesday that he will be the lead NFL analyst for their broadcast team.

Brady has made nearly $500 million throughout his long NFL career. He signed a deal with Fox Sports on Tuesday that is going to have him almost make more money than he did during his playing days. At $375 million for a 10-year deal, Brady is now going to be the highest-paid analyst in all of sports.

CCA0F153-6B0A-4937-8DE8-B485A7CE1B0B

READ MORE: Todd Bowles Says Tom Brady Still Has 'It Factor'

Fox Sports lost Joe Buck this year and Troy Aikman to ESPN, which led them to go out and try to make a huge splash. They did exactly that by going out and getting the greatest quarterback of all time.

It's still uncertain when Tom Brady is going to retire, but this deal definitely adds some more skepticism to this situation. Considering that he already retired once and came back nearly two months later, this could be a sign that this is actually going to be his final year.

Tom Brady, Buccaneers3

One thing to keep in mind here is that nobody knows how long until he is officially going to start with Fox Sports. We would figure that this deal is going to be taking place in the next few years, but nobody truly knows the full details about that. The details should come out within the next few days.

https://www.si.com/nfl/buccaneers/news/tom-brady-gets-a-10-year-375-million-deal-as-lead-fox-nfl-analyst#gid=ci02a0d56cc0002795&pid=tom-brady-buccaneers2

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Tom Brady has already figured out what he's going to be doing after his playing days are over as Fox Sports announced on Tuesday that he will be the lead NFL analyst for their broadcast team.

Has he already figured out a way to cheat the system; like he did while playing for the Pats?

On 5/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, Heretic said:

Wow, I mean I was a Brady fan when he was a Patriot, but come on, he's going to make more money as an analyst then he will as a player?
(after this next season, Brady is @ $333 million or so as a player).

Tom Brady Gets a 10-year, $375 million deal as lead Fox NFL analyst

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady has signed a 10-year $375 million deal with Fox.

•  
  •  
  •  

Brady has made nearly $500 million throughout his long NFL career. He signed a deal with Fox Sports on Tuesday that is going to have him almost make more money than he did during his playing days. At $375 million for a 10-year deal, Brady is now going to be the highest-paid analyst in all of sports.

CCA0F153-6B0A-4937-8DE8-B485A7CE1B0B

READ MORE: Todd Bowles Says Tom Brady Still Has 'It Factor'

Fox Sports lost Joe Buck this year and Troy Aikman to ESPN, which led them to go out and try to make a huge splash. They did exactly that by going out and getting the greatest quarterback of all time.

It's still uncertain when Tom Brady is going to retire, but this deal definitely adds some more skepticism to this situation. Considering that he already retired once and came back nearly two months later, this could be a sign that this is actually going to be his final year.

Tom Brady, Buccaneers3

One thing to keep in mind here is that nobody knows how long until he is officially going to start with Fox Sports. We would figure that this deal is going to be taking place in the next few years, but nobody truly knows the full details about that. The details should come out within the next few days.

https://www.si.com/nfl/buccaneers/news/tom-brady-gets-a-10-year-375-million-deal-as-lead-fox-nfl-analyst#gid=ci02a0d56cc0002795&pid=tom-brady-buccaneers2

How do we even know he is going to be any good? Last I checked he is pretty a sore guy and doesn't really like to compliment players

especially if they are a qb.

Brees is leaving NBC after just 1 season maybe trying to jump ship to Fox with Buck and Aikman chasing the big money at ESPN with Monday Night Football.

Peyton Manning could be a great analyst if he wanted to do it seriously.

He should jump ship to NBC instead of clowning around on the Manning cast.

Sunday Night Football needs a replacement for Collingsworth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Peyton Manning could be a great analyst if he wanted to do it seriously.

He should jump ship to NBC instead of clowning around on the Manning cast.

Sunday Night Football needs a replacement for Collingsworth.

He'd be brilliant but I don't think he wants to travel for a full season, which is what led to the Manning cast in the first place.  I personally prefer it to the regular broadcast but I'm also a big fan of his from his playing days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Honestly think the media is hyping up the Eagles draft too much. Howie yet again like always failed to land a quality talent at CB or S despite the glaring need and the opportunity to do so with Kyle Hamilton sitting there.

I would have liked Hamilton but the Eagles to a fault only draft OL and DL with premium picks.

Getting AJ Brown saved the Eagles draft class but that contract is top 5 WR money so he better stay healthy and produce more consistently or the fans will turn on him.

How is a @gmen81 feeling about Treylon Burks to replace Brown?

I love how the Ravens draft every year. They want want tough and athletic players. They don't reach they get good value by sticking to the consensus board and big time players who produced I college at big programs and also have the mental and physical tools to be a sucess in the pros.

Their only weakness is they seem to struggle to evaluate the WR position.

Maybe they should sign OBJ or Antonio Brown?

The Chiefs and Bills do a real good job of late as well at drafting guys who fit.

Not to mention the Rams, and Bucs, and Packers. Coincidence they are all top trams and annual contenders? I think not.

The Steelers got some studs at WR with George Pickens and Calvin Austin too though.

Well still not happy we traded Brown, but I get it.  Regarding Burks he was one of the players I was hoping for when we had our original pick and still had AJ Brown.  Guess we will see how he does as the #2 behind Woods. 

• Upvote 1

Sad news for the Cardinals and for football in general:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10037249-cardinals-cb-jeff-gladney-dies-at-age-25-in-car-crash-former-1st-round-draft-pick?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Arizona Cardinals cornerback Jeff Gladney died on Monday morning in a car crash, his agent Brian Overstreet confirmed to Drew Davison and Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

He was 25. 

"We are asking prayers for the family and privacy at this most difficult time," Overstreet said.

A number of Gladney's former TCU and NFL teammates reacted to the news of his death, including Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jalen Reagor and Minnesota Vikings wideout Justin Jefferson:

"We are devastated to learn of Jeff Gladney’s passing," the Cardinals wrote in a statement. "Our hearts go out to his family, friends and all who are mourning this tremendous loss."

Gladney was a first-round pick of the Vikings in 2020, appearing in all 16 games his rookie season (15 starts) while registering 81 tackles, three passes defensed and a forced fumble. 

• Sad 1

Carolina- money problems;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/panthers-practice-facility-dead-after-chapter-11-filing/ar-AAXZ4gC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ffefe1b608f8448e900f9443b47e1644

he Carolina Panthers' proposed $800 million practice facility project in Rock Hill, South Carolina, is officially dead after team owner David Tepper’s real estate company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware on Wednesday night.

Tepper, who made billions in hedge funds, is the NFL’s wealthiest owner. The filing will not affect the NFL’s Panthers or Major League Soccer’s Charlotte FC in any way.

t’s unclear at this point what will happen to the half-built practice facility.

Tepper has invested more than $175 million into the facility, which is located about 25 miles south of the team’s current downtown stadium and headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina.

GT Real Estate Holdings, LLC (GTRE), a Delaware limited liability company, announced to The Associated Press in a statement late Wednesday night that is has begun a court-led financial restructuring process in Delaware to effect an orderly wind-down of the project. The action follows the termination and rescission of the agreements with the City of Rock Hill that related to the project, which GTRE previously announced.

GTRE also announced that it has received a commitment for $20 million in financing from DT Sports Holding, LLC, subject to court approval, which will allow the company to fund a process to address its legitimate creditor claims, as well as to preserve, protect and enhance the Rock Hill site for the benefit of all stakeholders.

“In recent weeks, GTRE has been confronted with various claims, some valid and some not, from vendors, contractors and other third parties, including York County, SC," GT Real Estate Holdings said in a statement. "GTRE is taking this action to ensure legitimate claims are processed as fairly and expeditiously as possible under a court supervised process, and to achieve the project’s orderly and safe wind-down. GTRE intends to resolve its legitimate obligations.”

The City of Rock Hill does not plan to make a statement until it has had a chance to review the bankruptcy filing Thursday, a city spokesperson said.

The Panthers announced on April 19 they had terminated their agreement with the City of Rock Hill, South Carolina.

The bankruptcy ends a bitter back-and-forth public disagreement between Tepper and the city of Rock Hill.

Tepper’s company said it negotiated with the city for more than a year, warning them in March they had 30 days or the Panthers would pull out. They said in a statement in April that is “unfortunate that some recently decided to conduct a misguided, destructive public relations campaign to obscure their failures.”

Rock Hill officials responded to the announcement, saying the Panthers' announcement was “misleading and erroneous” and that they embraced the Panthers, welcomed their headquarters to South Carolina and “did everything to make this project a success and has not defaulted on any of our obligations.”

“It was and remains our intention to continue negotiating in good faith while protecting the interests of our taxpayers,” the City of Rock Hill had said. “In fact, in the past few weeks we have attempted to meet with the Panthers on numerous occasions to no avail.”

The city also claimed that it had met all obligations required under the agreement, but could not provide the Panthers unlimited resources and had to protect taxpayers.

The Panthers' headquarters and practice facility had been expected to be completed in 2023.

It is unclear if Tepper will attempt to build another practice in the future and, if so, where that will be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

The filing will not affect the NFL’s Panthers or Major League Soccer’s Charlotte FC in any way.

This is false:

The Panther's do not have a new practice facility being built anymore.

Thus they are affected.

Former NFL'er does a very, very good thing at his current college job:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ncaafb/jim-harbaugh-said-his-bonus-money-would-go-to-michigan-athletics-employees-here-s-what-happened/ar-AAYfFEl?bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cca190064f2444dba62253bffc9bcc9e

In late January, money that had been intended for Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh began showing up in the bank accounts of other Michigan athletics department employees.

Just less than $1,000 here. Between $2,000 and $4,500 there. More than 30 five-figure amounts, and one that reached six figures.

They all resulted from Harbaugh’s late-November pledge that incentive bonuses he would be owed for the football team’s success during the 2021 season would be redirected to members of the department who had taken pandemic-related pay cuts during an 11-month stretch of 2020 and 2021 and had remained on the payroll.

Altogether, 210 employees received a combined total of just over $1.5 million, according to information USA TODAY Sports obtained from the university under an open-records request.

Harbaugh told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday he was inspired to take action by two of his players’ charitable use of money they had received from deals for the use of their name, image and likeness. 

“I think one of the things that really kind of made me think about it — kind of motivated me to do it — was our running back Blake Corum, over Thanksgiving, took some of his NIL money and did a really neat thing, buying turkeys and food for folks over in Ypsilanti and went and handed them out on Thanksgiving,” Harbaugh said. “J.J. McCarthy, our young quarterback, he did something similar in giving some of his NIL money.

“And (wife) Sarah and I talked about it and (it was) something that we felt inspired to do. … When there were pay reductions during the pandemic, I knew that … it was hard on people. ... I mean my dad worked for Michigan in the athletic department (as a football assistant coach). And I just thought it would be something that would be a very good, positive thing.”

In the aftermath, Harbaugh said: “I got some really nice thank-you letters. Thank-you texts, calls. People even stopped by in person to say thank you.”

Michigan athletics spokesman Kurt Svoboda indicated by email Wednesday that the payments to department employees fully covered those who wanted their pay restored. “I am confident in our calculations that the figures provided in your recent FOIA request accurately reflect the names of individuals who took pay reductions, were eligible to receive and who did not object to receiving reimbursements,” Svoboda wrote.

In total, Harbaugh was set to receive $2.075 million, not including any bonus based on the team’s NCAA Academic Progress Rate figures, and, according to a separate open-records request, actually has been paid $575,000. 

Harbaugh made his pledge during his appearance on Michigan’s weekly football radio show Nov. 29, the Monday evening after the Wolverines defeated Ohio State to win the Big Ten Conference East Division and a place in the Big Ten championship game. That triggered the first $500,000.

The size of the bonus was set under a contract terms that took effect in January 2021 and cut Harbaugh’s basic annual compensation from a scheduled $8.05 million to $4 million. As part of the pandemic-related reductions, Harbaugh gave up nearly $265,000.

On the show, Harbaugh said: “Sarah and I were talking about it last night, and we decided any bonus money that I am to receive through this season will be redirected to reimburse U of M athletic department employees who have stayed while taking a voluntary or mandatory pay reduction during the last 18 months during the pandemic.”

Harbaugh told USA TODAY Sports that he made the announcement “before I discussed (it) with Warde” Manuel, the school’s athletics director.

Svoboda said Manuel declined to comment.

Svoboda said Harbaugh was paid the $75,000 bonus called for under Harbaugh’s contract if he wins the Associated Press national coach of the year award — an honor that was announced about 10 days after Harbaugh’s comments.

Michigan’s victory over Iowa in the Big Ten championship game meant Harbaugh was due a $1 million bonus, and the team being selected to play in the College Football Playoff resulted in him being owed $500,000 more.

Harbaugh said in the interview that when he went on the radio show: “I knew … what had been earned and what it could be.”

“I didn't know at the time how much would reimburse the whole athletic department,” he said later in the interview. “And I was really happy that we ended up — our team ended up — earning enough to cover, to make it make it a total reimbursement.”

In February, Harbaugh and the university signed another new contract, one that restored his basic annual compensation to $8.05 million for the 2022 season, set up scheduled increases and maintained the same bonus structure that was put in place for the 2021 season.

Michigan’s athletics department had salary reductions in place from Aug. 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. Employees making less than $50,000 and union employees were exempt, Svoboda said, and the participation of employees under contract was voluntary. For others, the cuts were 5%, 7.5% or 10%, depending on salary and/or job status. To be eligible for reimbursement, an employee who took a pay cut still had to be working for Michigan's athletics department as of Jan. 14, 2022, Svoboda said.

Almost 70% of the reimbursement payments were for amounts of less than $4,500. Men’s basketball coach Juwan Howard received the largest amount — nearly $133,000. Based on calculations by USA TODAY Sports in conjunction with its 2020-21 men’s basketball coaches’ pay survey that were confirmed by Michigan, Howard had been due to take a total reduction of nearly $195,000.

Svoboda said Howard declined to comment.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Former NFL linebacker and current assistant with the Washington Commanders, Jack del Rio is in hot water for comments he made downplaying the severity of the Jan 6th insurrection and trying to draw parallels to the riots following the murder of George Floyd....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/del-rio-says-calling-capitol-insurrection-a-dust-up-was-irresponsible-and-negligent/

As the article linked above points out, de Rio's comments could have an impact beyond the reputation of him and the team. Virginia lawmakers are currently considering an tax incentives for a new stadium, and it appears as though his comments have had an impact on those considerations:

The remarks generated a prompt backlash from some Virginia lawmakers, who for months have been considering whether to pass legislation intended to incentivize the team to build a new stadium in the commonwealth by offering generous tax incentives. Two northern Virginia Democratic senators who had previously been enthusiastic supporters of the measure expressed concerns about Del Rio's comments.

Jeremy McPike tweeted a clip of Del Rio speaking with the message: “Yup. Just sealed the deal to cast my vote as a NO. I think what’s burning down today is the stadium bill." Scott Surovell predicted there would be no more “votes on stadium bills this year.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news for the Ravens and the NFL....

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/sport/jaylon-ferguson-death-baltimore-ravens-nfl-spt-intl/index.html

Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Jaylon Ferguson has died, the NFL team announced on Wednesday. He was 26.

"We are profoundly saddened by the tragic passing of Jaylon Ferguson," the Ravens said on Twitter. "He was a kind, respectful young man with a big smile and infectious personality. We express our heartfelt condolences to Jaylon's family and friends as we mourn a life lost much too soon."
No cause of death was given.
Ferguson's agent, Safarrah Lawson, said in a statement to NFL.com: "The family asks for your prayers and privacy during this trying time."
In a statement on Twitter, the NFL said: "We are heartbroken to hear of the tragic loss of Jaylon Ferguson. The NFL family sends our deepest condolences to his loved ones."
The Louisiana Tech prospect was drafted by Baltimore in the third round in 2019. In 38 games with the team, 10 of which were starts, Ferguson had 67 tackles and 4.5 sacks in three seasons.
Nicknamed "Sack Daddy," in college he broke the all-time NCAA record for career sacks with 45.
During the 2019 draft week, Ferguson lent his support to relief efforts in his college community of Ruston, Louisiana, after a deadly tornado struck the city.
"The LA Tech Family mourns this morning's tragic news of the sudden death of former Bulldog great, Jaylon Ferguson," said a statement from Ferguson's alma mater.
"We will remember his God-given talents on the field and his infectious personality off of it. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. RIP, 45."

https://www.tsn.ca/tony-siragusa-dead-at-55-baltimore-ravens-indianapolis-colts-1.1816303

The man nicknamed "Goose" is gone.

Tony Siragusa has died at the age of 55, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay confirmed on Wednesday.

A defensive tackle, Siragusa played 12 seasons in the NFL from 1990 to 2001 with the Colts and Baltimore Ravens. Siragusa was a member of the Ravens' Super Bowl XXXV-winning team that defeated the New York Giants 34-7 in 2001.

Undrafted out of Pittsburgh, the native of Kenilworth, NJ appeared in 169 career games, recording 564 tackles, 22.0 sacks and five forced fumbles.

In retirement, Siragusa worked as a sideline reporter for Fox Sports and played Frankie Cortese, a bodyguard and driver for Tony Soprano, on The Sopranos.

• Sad 2