The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tony-siragusa-dead-at-55-baltimore-ravens-indianapolis-colts-1.1816303

The man nicknamed "Goose" is gone.

Tony Siragusa has died at the age of 55, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay confirmed on Wednesday.

A defensive tackle, Siragusa played 12 seasons in the NFL from 1990 to 2001 with the Colts and Baltimore Ravens. Siragusa was a member of the Ravens' Super Bowl XXXV-winning team that defeated the New York Giants 34-7 in 2001.

Undrafted out of Pittsburgh, the native of Kenilworth, NJ appeared in 169 career games, recording 564 tackles, 22.0 sacks and five forced fumbles.

In retirement, Siragusa worked as a sideline reporter for Fox Sports and played Frankie Cortese, a bodyguard and driver for Tony Soprano, on The Sopranos.

I'm the same age, this is scary.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only the Browns can trade a 1st overall for a 5th rounder.....

Man is that team cursed or what? 

And just for good measure they're going to pay most of Mayfield's salary this season.

As the article notes, the Browns play Carolina in the first week of the season.  If Mayfields starts for the Panthers do you think he's going to be incentivized to have a good game?

And I have to wonder about the Browns' trade for DeShaun Watson.  From the article that Mj2345 cited:

"The Mayfield trade comes on the heels of Cleveland's blockbuster deal with the Houston Texans that landed quarterback Deshaun Watson. The Browns gave Watson a new five-year deal worth $230 million fully guaranteed, the richest deal in guaranteed money in NFL history by an $80 million margin. Cleveland also surrendered three first-round picks in the deal, the first team to do so for a single player since the Minnesota Vikings traded three first-rounders to the Dallas Cowboys for running back Herschel Walker in 1989."

Three first rounders and a guaranteed $230 million dollar contract for a guy who may be suspended for a season by the NFL?!  There has to be escape clauses for the Browns in the deal.   Doesn't there?

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Three first rounders and a guaranteed $230 million dollar contract for a guy who may be suspended for a season by the NFL?!  There has to be escape clauses for the Browns in the deal.   Doesn't there?

Maybe they'll move and change their name again.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Kyler Murray contract extension: Cardinals star now among top-paid QBs (usatoday.com)

Further proof that being rich does not mean being smart at the same time.  Kyle Murray gets a $230 contract for 2nd highest paid QB.   The owners must have a lot of money to throw around a QB that has not proven himself.  Sure, he is an exciting QB that runs around a lot but can he win big games?    Plus he just is too short to play in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Kyler Murray contract extension: Cardinals star now among top-paid QBs (usatoday.com)

Further proof that being rich does not mean being smart at the same time.  Kyle Murray gets a $230 contract for 2nd highest paid QB.   The owners must have a lot of money to throw around a QB that has not proven himself.  Sure, he is an exciting QB that runs around a lot but can he win big games?    Plus he just is too short to play in the NFL.

He'll never win a Super Bowl with that work ethic.  Imagine a guy like Brady, Manning, or Wilson needing a clause in their contract to watch 4 hours of tape a week.  They're going to regret that contract a lot sooner than later.

Still have to wonder why it was there in the first place:

Cardinals Remove Kyler Murray Contract ‘Independent Study’ Clause

The Cardinals removed the controversial “independent study” mandate in Kyler Murray’s $230.5 million contract extension, the team confirmed on Thursday. The news was first reported by NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

The team released a statement Thursday evening saying that the clause in Murray's contract became a "distraction."

"It was clearly perceived in ways that never intended," the statement read. "Our confidence in Murray is as high as it's ever been and nothing demonstrates our belief in his ability to lead this team more than the commitment reflected in his contract."

The removal of the language comes after Murray held a surprise press conference earlier Thursday, discussing the clause and calling it “disrespectful” and “almost a joke.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/07/29/cardinals-remove-kyler-murray-contract-independent-study-clause-statement#:~:text=Murray is the NFL's second,per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

• Haha 1

Browns get some clarity on Deshaun Watson, await closure (msn.com)

Deshsaun Watson gets 6 game suspension for sexual misconduct.  See pretty light to me but what do I know.

To put put it in perspective, some sport commentators compare it to the suspension Tom Brady got for deflating footballs: 4 games.  Watson got only 2 more games in what should be a more serious misdeed.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm the same age, this is scary.

As long as you didn't spend 12 years of paid work slamming your body and head into a 260 lb object running at you, you will likely be fine for a lot of years yet.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

As long as you didn't spend 12 years of paid work slamming your body and head into a 260 lb object running at you, you will likely be fine for a lot of years yet.

I had a stroke 7 years ago. I played one year of football in high school. 

But yes, I'm trying to take better care of myself. Docs said the biggest risk was the first 2 years. If I stay with my meds the chances of having another stroke is less than 1%. 

Eat right and exercise improves those odds. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

Aaron Rodgers has to be one of the most interesting players in the NFL:

Aaron Rodgers says taking ayahuasca helped improve mental health and spurred MVP seasons

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers revealed on the Aubrey Marcus Podcast that he consumed ayahuasca prior to his back-to-back MVP seasons, crediting the plant-based psychedelic for helping produce two of the best seasons of his career thanks to a change in mindset and improvement of his mental health.

"I don't think it's a coincidence," Rodgers said about winning his third and fourth MVPs in 2020 and 2021 following an ayahuasca experience in South America. "I really don't. I don't really believe in coincidences at this point. It's the universe bringing things to happen when they're supposed to happen.

"There's signs and synchronicities all around us at all times if we're awake enough to see them and to take them in and to listen to our intuition when it's speaking to us or pounding us in the head saying, 'Hey dummy, this is what you're supposed to be doing.'"

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-rodgers-says-taking-ayahuasca-021911398.html

4 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Aaron Rodgers has to be one of the most interesting players in the NFL:

Aaron Rodgers says taking ayahuasca helped improve mental health and spurred MVP seasons

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers revealed on the Aubrey Marcus Podcast that he consumed ayahuasca prior to his back-to-back MVP seasons, crediting the plant-based psychedelic for helping produce two of the best seasons of his career thanks to a change in mindset and improvement of his mental health.

"I don't think it's a coincidence," Rodgers said about winning his third and fourth MVPs in 2020 and 2021 following an ayahuasca experience in South America. "I really don't. I don't really believe in coincidences at this point. It's the universe bringing things to happen when they're supposed to happen.

"There's signs and synchronicities all around us at all times if we're awake enough to see them and to take them in and to listen to our intuition when it's speaking to us or pounding us in the head saying, 'Hey dummy, this is what you're supposed to be doing.'"

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-rodgers-says-taking-ayahuasca-021911398.html

So all of his idiocy off the field can be blamed on drugs?

SI's Jimmy Traina muses about how the television networks will handle Rodgers this season:

Aaron Rodgers’s Psychedelic Drug Admission Will Put NFL Broadcasters in a Tough Spot

Do you think Roger Goodell wants Mike Tirico discussing ayahuasca in front of 20 million viewers in Week 2 when the Packers play the Bears on Sunday Night Football?

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/08/04/aaron-rodgers-ayahuasca-green-bay-packers-nfl