The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones, who was called for a roughing the passer penalty last night that was as bad as the one called on Grady Jarrett on Sunday, has a very simple (and sensible) idea to address the issue of overzealous penalty calling, which in both recent cases could have had an effect on the final score.

The simple fix? Let it be a reviewable play. They already have it with Pass Interference, so if a team believes that the incorrect call was made on Roughing the Passer, let them throw the Challenge Flag.

Somewhat lost in the game last night was the fact that the Raiders had a very questionable call go against them as well. When I heard the call of "Defensive Holding" on an attempted field goal, I was struck by how odd is sounded.....and for good reason. Apparently, that was the first time the call had been made in 7 years....

Not only was the call debatable, it actually turned a missed FG into an extended drive, which eventually ended up as one of Travis Kelce's 4 TD receptions.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones, who was called for a roughing the passer penalty last night that was as bad as the one called on Grady Jarrett on Sunday, has a very simple (and sensible) idea to address the issue of overzealous penalty calling, which in both recent cases could have had an effect on the final score.

The simple fix? Let it be a reviewable play. They already have it with Pass Interference, so if a team believes that the incorrect call was made on Roughing the Passer, let them throw the Challenge Flag.

Somewhat lost in the game last night was the fact that the Raiders had a very questionable call go against them as well. When I heard the call of "Defensive Holding" on an attempted field goal, I was struck by how odd is sounded.....and for good reason. Apparently, that was the first time the call had been made in 7 years....

Not only was the call debatable, it actually turned a missed FG into an extended drive, which eventually ended up as one of Travis Kelce's 4 TD receptions.....

I'm not the only one who is perplexed.

Some NSFW language.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Would also like to point out that I was screaming at the TV when this happened.....unbelievable that a ref could be right there and not see such an obvious trip:

As it turned out, it didn't cost the Bills the game....but it could have. The correct call would have given Buffalo a first down and extended the drive. As it was, they were forced to punt...<_<

• Upvote 1

Ryan suffered a Grade 2 shoulder separation and might sit for the rest of the season.  Maybe next year Colts.  DAMN

Colts' Matt Ryan benched amid injury: Frank Reich calls Sam Ehlinger 'starter for the rest of the season'

Indy is making a change at quarterback

The Indianapolis Colts are making a change at quarterback, as the team announced Monday that Sam Ehlinger will now start in place of the veteran Matt Ryan. Per the team, Ryan suffered a Grade 2 shoulder separation in the 19-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday. While Ryan is injured, the Colts plan to make Ehlinger the starting quarterback for the rest of the season -- starting this Sunday against the Washington Commanders.

"Right now the move is for Sam to be the starter for the rest of the season," head coach Frank Reich said, via the Colts' official website.

The Colts fell to 3-3-1 with their loss to the Titans on Sunday. Ryan completed 33 of 44 passes for 243 yards and one touchdown, but also threw back-to-back interceptions in the second quarter -- including a 76-yard pick six that ended up being Tennessee's only touchdown of the game. The Colts sent the Atlanta Falcons a third-round pick this offseason for their longtime quarterback. 

In seven games played this season, Ryan threw for 2,008 yards, nine touchdowns and a league-leading nine interceptions. He's also been sacked 24 times, which is tied for most in the NFL

Coach Reich said it was "extremely difficult" to make this quarterback change. He also said he's been "particularly impressed with Ehlinger this year in practice," and the "special sauce" he brings to the offense.

Ehlinger was a sixth-round pick of the Colts in 2021 out of Texas. He played in three games last year, but did not throw a pass. In the preseason this year, Ehlinger completed 24 of 29 passes for 289 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. He also rushed for a touchdown. 

Reich is in his fifth season as head coach of the Colts, and Ehlinger will be his seventh starting quarterback. 

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ryan suffered a Grade 2 shoulder separation and might sit for the rest of the season.  Maybe next year Colts.  DAMN

Colts' Matt Ryan benched amid injury: Frank Reich calls Sam Ehlinger 'starter for the rest of the season'

Indy is making a change at quarterback

The Indianapolis Colts are making a change at quarterback, as the team announced Monday that Sam Ehlinger will now start in place of the veteran Matt Ryan. Per the team, Ryan suffered a Grade 2 shoulder separation in the 19-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday. While Ryan is injured, the Colts plan to make Ehlinger the starting quarterback for the rest of the season -- starting this Sunday against the Washington Commanders.

"Right now the move is for Sam to be the starter for the rest of the season," head coach Frank Reich said, via the Colts' official website.

The Colts fell to 3-3-1 with their loss to the Titans on Sunday. Ryan completed 33 of 44 passes for 243 yards and one touchdown, but also threw back-to-back interceptions in the second quarter -- including a 76-yard pick six that ended up being Tennessee's only touchdown of the game. The Colts sent the Atlanta Falcons a third-round pick this offseason for their longtime quarterback. 

In seven games played this season, Ryan threw for 2,008 yards, nine touchdowns and a league-leading nine interceptions. He's also been sacked 24 times, which is tied for most in the NFL

Coach Reich said it was "extremely difficult" to make this quarterback change. He also said he's been "particularly impressed with Ehlinger this year in practice," and the "special sauce" he brings to the offense.

Ehlinger was a sixth-round pick of the Colts in 2021 out of Texas. He played in three games last year, but did not throw a pass. In the preseason this year, Ehlinger completed 24 of 29 passes for 289 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. He also rushed for a touchdown. 

Reich is in his fifth season as head coach of the Colts, and Ehlinger will be his seventh starting quarterback.

Maybe Frank should get in there himself....

If anyone knows about engineering a comeback, it's Frank Reich....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Both a CFL and NFL question:

When was the last time you saw a fake field goal or punt, that wasn't in the last couple minutes, of a tie/ish game?

something the BC Lions- of Lui Passaglia  era, would do.

It's been a while.....

I remember Lui doing the fake punt a few times.... he would start the kicking motion and 90% of the time, the defenders turn around and try and get in position to block for the returner. Lui wouldn't even run hard, he'd basically just follow the pack as it made it's way down field.

Always wondered why nobody else ever tries that....

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1467609538555617282?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1467609538555617282|twgr^0554a0efd1076e79e3dd2ad75673c95cce01288c|twcon^s1

Got it

_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seahawks.com%2Fnews%2Finstant-lookback-fake-it-til-you-make-it-travis-homer-scores-on-fake-punt

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

Just now, gurn said:

Just thinking I'd like my special teams to be more creative/special.

Was always exciting to watch.

I think simply going for it and running an offensive play probably has a better conversion rate.  With coaches being more aggressive, I don't see this becoming more frequent.

• Cheers 1