The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toews said:

The Jets are and will always remain a joke. I am not even anti-Rodgers as a lot of folks seem to be but trading that for a soon to be 40 year old QB is lunacy. 

You would think they learned their lesson bringing in an old former Packers QB the first time.  We will see if A A Ron Rod Gers can rebound from last year or if father time has already took him to remain undefeated.

one more day to draft day. Seahawks looking to reload here with 10 picks and 5 in the top 83. The future is looking good in Seattle.

Im hoping they draft Jalen Carter and rebuild that ferocious Defense.

Unless the QB Richardson drops to 5 I think thats where they will go.

a D lineman, a Corner and an O line man and Im a happy guy. Go Hawks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

one more day to draft day. Seahawks looking to reload here with 10 picks and 5 in the top 83. The future is looking good in Seattle.

Im hoping they draft Jalen Carter and rebuild that ferocious Defense.

Unless the QB Richardson drops to 5 I think thats where they will go.

a D lineman, a Corner and an O line man and Im a happy guy. Go Hawks

Seahawks 2023 draft rumors: Jalen Carter ‘isn’t expected to be the pick’ for Seattle at No. 5

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/4/25/23698136/seattle-seahawks-2023-nfl-draft-rumors-not-expected-to-pick-jalen-carter-no-5

We are two days away from the NFL Draft, which means you’re almost freed from the endless cycle of mock drafts and rumors for another year. In the meantime, let’s see what the rumor mill has for the Seattle Seahawks!

Former Georgia star Jalen Carter has been linked to the Seahawks pretty much since Carter was still in college, and it’s only logical given Seattle’s need to improve a defensive line that has not generated any consistent pass rush over the past four seasons. But concerns about Carter’s character, conditioning, and his recent legal troubles have called into question where Jalen will be drafted.

ESPN’s Todd McShay, who pretty much kickstarted the “character concerns” storyline for Carter last year, has a draft buzz article behind the ESPN+ paywall, and his piece on the Seahawks has a couple of lines on Carter and also whether they will take a quarterback by the end of Round 1.

I have a strong sense Seattle won’t leave Round 1 without a quarterback. The more I talk to execs, scouts, coaches and agents, the more I think the Seahawks could be targeting Stroud or even Florida’s Anthony Richardson at this spot, depending on who is there. Stroud is 21 years old and Richardson is 20, and the idea is either could sit behind Geno Smith in the short term and develop into the answer for the long term.

If both are gone, that means either Anderson or Wilson will be there, and I expect that’d be the direction Seattle goes. Multiple sources have told me Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter isn’t expected be the pick. I don’t see Carter falling out of the top 10, but it’s reasonable he could slide to the back end of it.

One final note on Seattle: If it doesn’t take a quarterback at No. 5, keep an eye on Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker at No. 20, the team’s other first-round slot. He’s older (25), but it’s another option for a team thinking about the future under center.

It should be noted that Peter King’s Football Morning in America newsletter from last week said “It’s become almost a cliché, how many team officials think the Seahawks will take Carter with the fifth overall pick.” At this point, I trust no one outside of VMAC to have a firm grip on what the Seahawks plan to do at No. 5.

I’ve discussed the Hendon Hooker situation already and while I don’t deny his talent, I question his learning curve given the spread offense he operated at Tennessee, not to mention the ACL injury and already being 25 years old. That does not typically sound like first-round material no matter his productivity in college, and that speaks more to how this class isn’t really all that stacked.

Hang tight, because there will be more rumors surrounding this place than at Timex Social Club.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

22 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Seahawks 2023 draft rumors: Jalen Carter ‘isn’t expected to be the pick’ for Seattle at No. 5

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/4/25/23698136/seattle-seahawks-2023-nfl-draft-rumors-not-expected-to-pick-jalen-carter-no-5

We are two days away from the NFL Draft, which means you’re almost freed from the endless cycle of mock drafts and rumors for another year. In the meantime, let’s see what the rumor mill has for the Seattle Seahawks!

Former Georgia star Jalen Carter has been linked to the Seahawks pretty much since Carter was still in college, and it’s only logical given Seattle’s need to improve a defensive line that has not generated any consistent pass rush over the past four seasons. But concerns about Carter’s character, conditioning, and his recent legal troubles have called into question where Jalen will be drafted.

ESPN’s Todd McShay, who pretty much kickstarted the “character concerns” storyline for Carter last year, has a draft buzz article behind the ESPN+ paywall, and his piece on the Seahawks has a couple of lines on Carter and also whether they will take a quarterback by the end of Round 1.

I have a strong sense Seattle won’t leave Round 1 without a quarterback. The more I talk to execs, scouts, coaches and agents, the more I think the Seahawks could be targeting Stroud or even Florida’s Anthony Richardson at this spot, depending on who is there. Stroud is 21 years old and Richardson is 20, and the idea is either could sit behind Geno Smith in the short term and develop into the answer for the long term.

If both are gone, that means either Anderson or Wilson will be there, and I expect that’d be the direction Seattle goes. Multiple sources have told me Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter isn’t expected be the pick. I don’t see Carter falling out of the top 10, but it’s reasonable he could slide to the back end of it.

One final note on Seattle: If it doesn’t take a quarterback at No. 5, keep an eye on Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker at No. 20, the team’s other first-round slot. He’s older (25), but it’s another option for a team thinking about the future under center.

It should be noted that Peter King’s Football Morning in America newsletter from last week said “It’s become almost a cliché, how many team officials think the Seahawks will take Carter with the fifth overall pick.” At this point, I trust no one outside of VMAC to have a firm grip on what the Seahawks plan to do at No. 5.

I’ve discussed the Hendon Hooker situation already and while I don’t deny his talent, I question his learning curve given the spread offense he operated at Tennessee, not to mention the ACL injury and already being 25 years old. That does not typically sound like first-round material no matter his productivity in college, and that speaks more to how this class isn’t really all that stacked.

Hang tight, because there will be more rumors surrounding this place than at Timex Social Club.

read that article but still not sold they will pass on a guy who fits right into what they need most. especially if QBs go 1-4.

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have no idea what they will do.  Pete loves projects so Carter fits the bill.   We will find out very soon.

Look at Metcaf. I thought they would get rid of him last summer but they didn't. He had a good year last year. 

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I know the draft is going on.

Lamar gets his deal done.  5 years $ 260 million with $185 guaranteed.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/reports-ravens-qb-jackson-agree-to-terms-on-contract-extension/

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson signs largest annual contract in NFL history

And they went out and got him another target to throw to with their 1st round selection of Zay Flowers from Boston College.

I was hoping the Bills could find a wideout with their first pick, but they instead went with TE Dalton Kincaid. At first I was a bit confused, as I believe Dawson Knox has been fine in the position. (He's no Travis Kelce or George Kittle, but he's still an asset to the Bills offense) But then I see that Utah often used Kincaid in the slot, so he might end up being a 4th option for Allen to throw to...

Still hoping we can find a running back too....

• Cheers 1

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/30/us/shaquil-barrett-tampa-buccaneers-daughter-drowning/index.html

The 2-year-old daughter of Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Shaquil Barrett drowned in a swimming pool Sunday at the family’s Florida home, police said.

Officers responded to a Beach Park home in Tampa at 9:30 a.m. after a child had fallen into a pool, the Tampa Police Department said. The child was taken to an area hospital but could not be revived and was pronounced dead shortly after, authorities said.

It was a tragic accident and no foul play was involved, police said.

The Buccaneers released a statement in support of Barrett and his family.

“Today’s tragic news is heartbreaking for all members of the Buccaneers family. Our thoughts and prayers are with Shaq, Jordanna and the entire Barrett family during this unimaginably difficult time,” the team said. “While no words can provide true comfort at a time such as this, we offer our support and love as they begin to process this very profound loss of their beloved Arrayah.”

:(

• 2 weeks later...

PFF ranks Seahawks roster just outside the top 10

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/5/13/23720913/pff-ranks-seattle-seahawks-roster-just-outside-top-10

Biggest strength in 2023: Vertical Passing

Geno Smith was the NFL’s premier deep passer in 2022, carrying a 99.2 passing grade on 20-plus yards throws. He made 32 big-time throws to just seven turnover-worthy plays on deep balls. Tyler Lockett, D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Goodwin all finished with 95.0-plus receiving grades on deep balls, as well. This was a big-play offense that now adds dynamic rookie Jaxon Smith-Njigba and is supplemented by a healthy Kenneth Walker III. This could be a really dangerous offense again in 2023 if Smith keeps the momentum going.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Run Defense

Most of Seattle’s poor efforts on defense came against run-heavy teams. Their defense was overmatched three times against the 49ers, as well as in games against the Raiders and Falcons. They even allowed 161 yards on the ground to the Buccaneers’ feeble attack. Reuniting with Bobby Wagner should be a massive boon to a front seven that was too often gashed last year.

X-Factor for 2023: QB Geno Smith

The Comeback Player of the Year had an excellent 2022, but there are signs that regression could be coming. It’s challenging to repeat outlier-level deep ball performance year over year. The Seahawks should lean more on the run game and easier throws if they want to improve on last season’s success. Smith will also have to be more consistent. His passing grade in Weeks 1-8 last season was 84.4, third best in the NFL, but that number dropped to 64.0 in his last 10 games.

Rookie to watch: CB Devon Witherspoon

The fifth pick in the draft creates a potentially fearsome duo with Tariq Woolen. Woolen led the league with six interceptions last year. Witherspoon brings rare aggression on the outside and fits seamlessly into a defense that generally operates with one high safety. Witherspoon’s excellence in man coverage was nearly unmatched in this draft class. Seattle could have the best pair of cornerbacks in football very soon.

Over/Under 8.5 win total: Over

The gap will widen between the haves and have-nots in the NFC West. Seattle had an excellent offseason. The rookie class and Bobby Wagner fit in seamlessly. They should secure four wins against the Cardinals and Rams. They don’t match up well with the 49ers and Geno Smith may regress a bit, but there’s enough talent here to post a winning record and contend for a wild-card berth.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

PFF ranks Seahawks roster just outside the top 10

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/5/13/23720913/pff-ranks-seattle-seahawks-roster-just-outside-top-10

Biggest strength in 2023: Vertical Passing

Geno Smith was the NFL’s premier deep passer in 2022, carrying a 99.2 passing grade on 20-plus yards throws. He made 32 big-time throws to just seven turnover-worthy plays on deep balls. Tyler Lockett, D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Goodwin all finished with 95.0-plus receiving grades on deep balls, as well. This was a big-play offense that now adds dynamic rookie Jaxon Smith-Njigba and is supplemented by a healthy Kenneth Walker III. This could be a really dangerous offense again in 2023 if Smith keeps the momentum going.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Run Defense

Most of Seattle’s poor efforts on defense came against run-heavy teams. Their defense was overmatched three times against the 49ers, as well as in games against the Raiders and Falcons. They even allowed 161 yards on the ground to the Buccaneers’ feeble attack. Reuniting with Bobby Wagner should be a massive boon to a front seven that was too often gashed last year.

X-Factor for 2023: QB Geno Smith

The Comeback Player of the Year had an excellent 2022, but there are signs that regression could be coming. It’s challenging to repeat outlier-level deep ball performance year over year. The Seahawks should lean more on the run game and easier throws if they want to improve on last season’s success. Smith will also have to be more consistent. His passing grade in Weeks 1-8 last season was 84.4, third best in the NFL, but that number dropped to 64.0 in his last 10 games.

Rookie to watch: CB Devon Witherspoon

The fifth pick in the draft creates a potentially fearsome duo with Tariq Woolen. Woolen led the league with six interceptions last year. Witherspoon brings rare aggression on the outside and fits seamlessly into a defense that generally operates with one high safety. Witherspoon’s excellence in man coverage was nearly unmatched in this draft class. Seattle could have the best pair of cornerbacks in football very soon.

Over/Under 8.5 win total: Over

The gap will widen between the haves and have-nots in the NFC West. Seattle had an excellent offseason. The rookie class and Bobby Wagner fit in seamlessly. They should secure four wins against the Cardinals and Rams. They don’t match up well with the 49ers and Geno Smith may regress a bit, but there’s enough talent here to post a winning record and contend for a wild-card berth.

More importantly -_-:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-roster-rankings-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-rookies-to-watch#DAL

6. DALLAS COWBOYS

Biggest strength in 2023: Pass Rush

Dallas finished last year second in team pass-rush grade behind Philadelphia. Headlined by Micah Parsons, the Cowboys’ pass rush was lethal when they pulled ahead in games. Parsons himself ended the year with a 92.0 pass-rush grade, fourth best of any player in the NFL, and recorded a 90.0-plus pass-rush grade in five games. This unit figures to carry a solid defense again in 2023.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Quarterback Play

Dak Prescott suffered through arguably his worst season as a pro in 2022. He led the league in interceptions despite missing five games with injury. He posted a mediocre 68.2 passing grade for the year and made more turnover-worthy plays than big-time throws. Prescott was inconsistent when he was healthy outside of two excellent performances against overmatched Chicago and Tampa Bay teams. Dallas was short on weapons last year, but Prescott needs to be better if the team is going to make a championship run in 2023.

X-Factor for 2023: WR Brandin Cooks

Part of Prescott’s struggles can be attributed to a lack of depth in the Cowboys’ receiving corps. CeeDee Lamb (87.0 receiving grade) is excellent, but no other wide receiver on the roster graded above 70.0. Cooks adds a ton of experience to the group and is a vertical threat. If he can stretch the field and allow Lamb to work his magic underneath, Dallas’ passing game gets a lot more dangerous.

Rookie to watch: DI Mazi Smith

Smith is an athletic freak with big potential to help a vulnerable run defense. Dallas’ interior defensive linemen ranked 27th in run-defense grade in 2022. They need to tighten up in the run game if they hope to beat teams like the Eagles and 49ers, who figure to be their primary roadblocks to an NFC title. Smith will be at the forefront of that improvement,

Over/Under 9.5 win total: Over

There’s some risk here with what we saw from Dak Prescott last year, but 10 wins is still a good bet. Dallas won 12 last year and has added Brandin Cooks and Stephon Gilmore. There are several soft spots in their schedule as long as Prescott doesn’t crash. Contests against the Jets, Lions and Chargers loom large, but Dallas should get to 10 wins.

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

More importantly -_-:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-roster-rankings-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-rookies-to-watch#DAL

6. DALLAS COWBOYS

Biggest strength in 2023: Pass Rush

Dallas finished last year second in team pass-rush grade behind Philadelphia. Headlined by Micah Parsons, the Cowboys’ pass rush was lethal when they pulled ahead in games. Parsons himself ended the year with a 92.0 pass-rush grade, fourth best of any player in the NFL, and recorded a 90.0-plus pass-rush grade in five games. This unit figures to carry a solid defense again in 2023.

Biggest weakness in 2023: Quarterback Play

Dak Prescott suffered through arguably his worst season as a pro in 2022. He led the league in interceptions despite missing five games with injury. He posted a mediocre 68.2 passing grade for the year and made more turnover-worthy plays than big-time throws. Prescott was inconsistent when he was healthy outside of two excellent performances against overmatched Chicago and Tampa Bay teams. Dallas was short on weapons last year, but Prescott needs to be better if the team is going to make a championship run in 2023.

X-Factor for 2023: WR Brandin Cooks

Part of Prescott’s struggles can be attributed to a lack of depth in the Cowboys’ receiving corps. CeeDee Lamb (87.0 receiving grade) is excellent, but no other wide receiver on the roster graded above 70.0. Cooks adds a ton of experience to the group and is a vertical threat. If he can stretch the field and allow Lamb to work his magic underneath, Dallas’ passing game gets a lot more dangerous.

Rookie to watch: DI Mazi Smith

Smith is an athletic freak with big potential to help a vulnerable run defense. Dallas’ interior defensive linemen ranked 27th in run-defense grade in 2022. They need to tighten up in the run game if they hope to beat teams like the Eagles and 49ers, who figure to be their primary roadblocks to an NFC title. Smith will be at the forefront of that improvement,

Over/Under 9.5 win total: Over

There’s some risk here with what we saw from Dak Prescott last year, but 10 wins is still a good bet. Dallas won 12 last year and has added Brandin Cooks and Stephon Gilmore. There are several soft spots in their schedule as long as Prescott doesn’t crash. Contests against the Jets, Lions and Chargers loom large, but Dallas should get to 10 wins.

29th for my Colts.  Over/under of 6.5 wins they have at under.  Gonna hinge on the development of Richardson.