The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

So here my thoughts on the draft so far, Chargers went with Vernett, I wasn't overly thriilled by this I was personally hoping Nix. But Tom Telesco is probably the best drafter in the league, and I felt the same way about Fluker last year and boy was ever wrong on that. So hopefully that works out we needed a cb, and well the last player we drafted from TCU sort of worked out lol(LT baby!)

I see a lot of you guys are bashing Cleveland, I wouldn't be so quick to do so. Not saying I'm jumping on the bandwagon, but they are certainly an interesting team IF you have being paying attention to the offseason moves. Offence you have Manzeil, Gordon, Hawkins, Cameron and Ben Tate. Oh and Kyle Shannahan as your OC, who does have some experience with young mobile qbs(maybe RG3 rings a bell). Even their defense is pretty interesting, they went Justin Gilbert who is supposed to be a big shutdown corner, which complement them nicely as they do already have Joe Hayden, who is the best cb in the NFL(yes better than Sherman, look what AJ Green does against the browns enough said). So I am intrigued to see how that all works.

I feel bad for Bortles, I am not so sure he can succeed in Jacksonville, they just have nothing there in terms of support. Hopefully they take more of Aaron Rodgers type approach to it and let him sit under Henne while they restock the rest of their team.

What can say about Houston and that D-Line, do you think opposition QB only plays out of the shotgun against them? LOL. On the opposite side of that can Detroits Offense look any scarier, you can't double team them all, I feel like it will be super annoying fantasy-wise but figure each week it will be someone else week to just put up a monster of game.

Theres still some interesting picks out there I hope Nix slides to us, though thats asking a lot. Corey Latimer the other guy I will be watching closely, I think he will be a steal for whoever gets him.

I bet people used to say the same thing about Russel Wilson. Reckless on the field, too small etc... Hopefully for Cleveland fans he can make some plays and give that team a winning season again. The Browns have been awful for, ugh, as long as my NFL memory goes back.

Good coaching (does Cleveland have this?) and he could mature into a solid starting role.

Russell Wilson isn't a great comparison other than he is small. As good as Seattle is and as good as Wilson is at his particular job he is a game manager QB. Seattle was the best defense in football and this constantly gave them strong field position. They were also the 4th best rushing team in the NFL and sported an unimpressive 26th ranked passing game. Wilson himself barely had to pass and was among the bottom of the NFL in attempts. To his credit he did well when he had to step up but the QB gig for the Seahawks is probably the easiest gig in the NFL.

In addition Wilson defy's the odds with his health so far. The majority of mobile QB's who take hits all have legit health risks and none of them are smaller than Manziel.

Manziel now joins a team with one of the worst rushing games in the NFL an O-line that gave up the 3rd most sacks and in a division where the worst defense ranked 13th. For a project player with a small body that certainly isn't a great recipe.

When you hear people talk about Manziel it is almost always focused around his hand size which is something many contradict by overlooking the QB's with bigger hands than him including a lower grade QB like AJ McCarron.

Maybe Manziel will make something of himself but I also feel he is vastly overrated by the media. Of course draft order does not equal success but I feel even most scouts weren't buying the hype based on how many teams passed him and it's not like character was a concern given the NFL's history. Outside of his personality and college career he really looks like an average QB in the NFL at best to me.

Of course I have no crystal ball.

I like what I have read about the Giants pick, O'dell Beckum. He sounds like the kind of player the Giants like he is a hard worker, upstanding young man with a good head on his shoulders. Sounds like other than his size he was one of the better over all WR in the draft. I keep reading or watching a lot of good things about his hands and route running ability. Favorable comparisons to Reggie Wayne and Randall Cobb.

It also sounds like the Giants had him rated in their top 7 so it is encouraging they felt so strongly about him. As well as some rumors about the 49ers and even possibly philly wanting to move up and snag him. So I guess nothing left to do but wait and see next season what he can really bring to the table.

But overall not stoked about the pick I really didn't care for a skill position in the first especially a WR. I could see if he was a physical freak but if not his other skills should be elite. There is just so many opportunities to draft a good WR. Plus RB and WR seem to be positions you can still find late in the draft or as UDFA. Also we already have a a lot of under sized WR; Cruz isn't very big, Jerrnigan, Manningham. Hell Ruben Randle, who is still very green, is our biggest potential starter at 6'2" so it seems a bit redundant. Although Nicks was our biggest starting WR in our last SB so I understand it is not be all end all but that was pick 32 not pick 12, so ODB better have the rest of the package in spades to make this a great pick.

Russell Wilson isn't a great comparison other than he is small. As good as Seattle is and as good as Wilson is at his particular job he is a game manager QB. Seattle was the best defense in football and this constantly gave them strong field position. They were also the 4th best rushing team in the NFL and sported an unimpressive 26th ranked passing game. Wilson himself barely had to pass and was among the bottom of the NFL in attempts. To his credit he did well when he had to step up but the QB gig for the Seahawks is probably the easiest gig in the NFL.

In addition Wilson defy's the odds with his health so far. The majority of mobile QB's who take hits all have legit health risks and none of them are smaller than Manziel.

Game manager? You're one of those "people". He was also behind the 32nd ranked O-Line in the league that was decimated with injuries. You will see how great he will be, he is just getting started.

But yea, guy seems solid. Just unnecessary to pick him so early with much more help needed in other areas.

NFL Draft 2014: Instant Analysis Of Selection Of QB Jimmy Garoppolo

With their second pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Patriots selected quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

Was this a good pick? Yes. Did the Pats have other needs that probably are more important? I think so.

Ryan Mallett is heading into the final year of his contract, and I think he will be traded to the Texans soon. Garoppolo is a solid prospect, and based off of everything I have read and seen, he can develop into a good player in this league. But if it were up to me (keep dreaming), I would have gone with either a pass rusher, or maybe a receiver with that 62nd pick. Kony Ealy was still available, an Louis Nix III has not had his name called yet.

Here is what CBS Sports had to say on Garoppolos strengths:

Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets happy feet at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

In my opinion, the bottom line in all of this is the Pats are thinking about the future with this pick. Realistically speaking, Tom Brady probably has three or four good years left in him, so grooming a potential successor is a good idea. Garoppolo is a talented guy, and this was a smart pick for New England, even if it doesnt help the Pats immediately.

The New England Patriots dont care what you think.

With their second-round pick (No. 62) they decided to take Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo.

It makes sense.

Backup QB Ryan Mallett is a free agent next year and very well could be traded to the Texans tonight. Garoppolo is a smart QB who makes quick decisions and boasts the quickest release of all the QBs in the draft. He sees the field extremely well, hes accurate and he excelled in an up-tempo offense.

Garoppolo had a lot of success at Eastern Illinois as a senior, throwing for 5,050 yards, 53 Tds and just nine interceptionsgood for a 66 percent completion percentage.

While Patriots fans may be upset with taking a QB this high, I urge you all to take a second and remember this moment. The Patriots may have just drafted Tom Bradys replacement.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

Game manager? You're one of those "people". He was also behind the 32nd ranked O-Line in the league that was decimated with injuries. You will see how great he will be, he is just getting started.

Oh you're one of "those" people that seem to think that is an insult. Everybody knows he is good, winning a Championship is the most important thing and he will always be looked at as a guy that can do that. Lots of people think Eli is garbage because he throws "X" amount of picks every year. But does it matter when the playoffs start and the big game players really take over. It is basically peoples way of not calling him elite, don't take it personally as people will always be clamoring for the Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady type numbers.

Not a fan of the Garoppolo pick. If it was set in stone that a QB was going to be taken, would have preferred AJ McCarron, I think he's got a higher ceiling, better mechanics, and Katherine Webb.

Looked at tape of Garoppolo and scouting reports, seems to have a quick release and good technique, but bad decision maker and very anxious in the pocket.

In 3-4 years when Tom is done, don't think it'll be Garoppolo replacing him.

But then again, 199th overall pick wasn't supposed to replace Bledsoe and then win the starting job the next season either.

Honestly, I felt that Bill could have traded up to grab Louis Nix in the 3rd round instead of draft out of the 3rd round and give the pick to Jacksonville.

Eagles drafted mathews. Hopefully his cousin can teach him how to be as great as he was

just drafted a 5'11 WR also. Would of preferred some defensive help

Love the Matthews pick. He dominated the best league in college in the SEC and set receiving records.

He has great size at 6 foot 3 and almost 215 pounds and good speed (ran a 4.46) for his size which is enough to stretch the field vertically.

My only question is he is a bit of a long strider who needs some room to get off the line. So can he beat press coverage and get off the line when a big corner is crowding him at the line and trying to jam him?

He has huge hands and great body control and will help Foles in the redzone immediately along with Cooper and Ertz and Celek.

Josh Huff was the other guy Chip drafted because he knows his system and the main routes he uses., has decent speed and quickness for the slot and most of all is tough first one in his family to graduate from college and was abandoned by his mother.

Has good hands to make the difficult catch but will have lapses in concentration and is compared to having the potential of a Andre Roberts slot/return man.

I agree though I would have preferred either a safety or corner at that pick.

Eagles have the first pick of the fourth round which I hope they keep and take one of the big corners left like Keith McGill, Pierre Desir, Bashaud Breeland, or Jaylen Watkins.

Maybe a safety at this middle of the draft point I would go with Antone Exum if he is there in the fifth with one of their picks or Kenny Ladler Matthews teammate out of Vanderbilt who can play strong safety and is solid if unspectacular.

They could use another big 320 pound plus d-lineman at the nose to help as a run stuffer like a McGullers or DaQuan Jones and add depth on the o-line late.

Maybe a power rb to compliment McCoy and Sproles in the backfield to overtake the raw and enigmatic Bryce Brown and injury prone Chris Polk.

We shall see.

Edited by Chip Kelly

1. Prove to me the Seahawks were the worst offensive line in the NFL.

2. Where do you rank him among NFL QB's.

3. Prove to me what he did was great.

4. Do you know what a game managing QB is?

Jeez.. When I was in the States for a week in February, that was when Michael Sam came out and here I was thinking Michael Sam was a first round pick potential athlete. I didn't know he was going to be picked in the 7th round.

Probably would have gotten drafted higher if he hadn't. Hopefully he makes it; it's time.