The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Is it just me or is the NFL draft over hyped these days?

It could just be because of the extra time teams had to evaluate late round guys and free agents.

The majority of the qb's taken are said by the experts to not be NFL ready right now and need to sit for a year to adjust to the NFL and the team's system.

Teams are so desperate for qb's they play guys who are not ready yet like Geno Smith last year with the Jets although he was pressed into action because Sanchez got hurt.

Some of these guys signing as UDFA's are getting hyped up like they are as good or better than the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders teams drafted ahead of them.

If they were that good why didn't a team pick them earlier? This notion of getting "value" for a pick seems a little obscene to me.

A team should draft who fits their system and not worry about where they are listed on the draft board by the media if they have a strong need at the position.

Really after the third round it is a total crap shoot anyway. 25% of the guys drafted this year will be out of the league in 3-4 years anyway according to past draft stats.

That is a sobering thought for the glittered up draft. All the guys celebrating because they think they made it but in reality it is only a first step of their journey and they decide if it is a short or long one in the NFL.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 1

And that's the problem. When they get drafted and sign their first contract, they think that's it. Of course they know they have to put in the time and work into staying in the league but once they sign the contract, they think it's a done deal and they're safe so they don't work as hard.

And that's the problem. When they get drafted and sign their first contract, they think that's it. Of course they know they have to put in the time and work into staying in the league but once they sign the contract, they think it's a done deal and they're safe so they don't work as hard.

Exactly. Totally agree. 6 of the 7 guys the Eagles drafted this year have graduated from their school. Only one had a semester left.

I love that Chip is putting an equal emphasis on the intangibles like work ethic, character and mental toughness as much as physical talent when evaluating prospects.

Seahawks draft, like the Eagles ,is not getting much buzz but apparently they also took guys who were smart high character leaders on their own teams.

Not a bad team to emulate. It is logical to believe guys who have the mental toughness to stay focused and study while playing football and being a star at their respective school will have a better head on their shoulders and the focus needed to stick in the league compared to guys who skip classes and only care about getting out as fast as possible so they can start cashing NFL cheques.

It also helps the locker room environment where has it been proven in the past that teams with the best chemistry can beat teams that might be more talented on paper if the talented team have character issues.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Is it just me or is the NFL draft over hyped these days?

It could just be because of the extra time teams had to evaluate late round guys and free agents.

The majority of the qb's taken are said by the experts to not be NFL ready right now and need to sit for a year to adjust to the NFL and the team's system.

Teams are so desperate for qb's they play guys who are not ready yet like Geno Smith last year with the Jets although he was pressed into action because Sanchez got hurt.

Some of these guys signing as UDFA's are getting hyped up like they are as good or better than the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders teams drafted ahead of them.

If they were that good why didn't a team pick them earlier? This notion of getting "value" for a pick seems a little obscene to me.

A team should draft who fits their system and not worry about where they are listed on the draft board by the media if they have a strong need at the position.

Really after the third round it is a total crap shoot anyway. 25% of the guys drafted this year will be out of the league in 3-4 years anyway according to past draft stats.

That is a sobering thought for the glittered up draft. All the guys celebrating because they think they made it but in reality it is only a first step of their journey and they decide if it is a short or long one in the NFL.

I could be wrong but it sounded to me like this was a weak draft year. Then again I blame 30 for 30 and the Elway to Marino episode. 1 draft with Elway, Marino and how Marino was picked last and teams like Pittsburgh, and other passed on him. The fact that Jim Kelly didn't even want to play in Buffalo (And jumped to the USFL for a few seasons).

All the behind the scenes stuff is fascinating. Especially with the issues of the Colts, and basically Elway refusing to play for the Colts pretty much put the nail in the coffin for football in Baltimore for a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-HkEWAwOo

I could be wrong but it sounded to me like this was a weak draft year. Then again I blame 30 for 30 and the Elway to Marino episode. 1 draft with Elway, Marino and how Marino was picked last and teams like Pittsburgh, and other passed on him. The fact that Jim Kelly didn't even want to play in Buffalo (And jumped to the USFL for a few seasons).

All the behind the scenes stuff is fascinating. Especially with the issues of the Colts, and basically Elway refusing to play for the Colts pretty much put the nail in the coffin for football in Baltimore for a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-HkEWAwOo

Actually this was supposed to be the deepest draft in 10 years. At least at the wide receiver spot where teams drafted a record number in the top 100 picks this year.

Just shows this is becoming a passing league. The feature back workhorse is slowly going out of style.

Most teams prefer committees now with RB's who can pass protect and catch passes out of the backfield.

Lots of quality guys can be had at UDFA and in late round picks. While it is the nature of the game that only a few may make it. It is imperative a team caches in on them if they want to win a Superbowl. Often the best drafts are viewed to had by the eventual SB winners. Lots of proven NFLers have holes in their game but introduced into the right situations they are covered up. So I think for a lot of the lower round 1 dimensional guys not only have to prove they have that extra dimension(physical/mental whatever they were lacking) but end up on the right team that will need them or have the right players around them. Can't measure heart but often it measures your success.

I always found the NFL draft to be the best of them because literally anyone could become an impact player. Cruz was an UDFA, Arian Foster RB for Houston was an UDFA, there is more but those are recent examples of not just NFL players but top guys in their position. Ahmad Bradshaw was only a 7th round pick but played on both our SB teams, often hurt but has the heart of a Lion. I think strong leadership helps, guys who aren't afraid to pass it on to the younger players.

Lots of quality guys can be had at UDFA and in late round picks. While it is the nature of the game that only a few may make it. It is imperative a team caches in on them if they want to win a Superbowl. Often the best drafts are viewed to had by the eventual SB winners. Lots of proven NFLers have holes in their game but introduced into the right situations they are covered up. So I think for a lot of the lower round 1 dimensional guys not only have to prove they have that extra dimension(physical/mental whatever they were lacking) but end up on the right team that will need them or have the right players around them. Can't measure heart but often it measures your success.

I always found the NFL draft to be the best of them because literally anyone could become an impact player. Cruz was an UDFA, Arian Foster RB for Houston was an UDFA, there is more but those are recent examples of not just NFL players but top guys in their position. Ahmad Bradshaw was only a 7th round pick but played on both our SB teams, often hurt but has the heart of a Lion. I think strong leadership helps, guys who aren't afraid to pass it on to the younger players.

Tom Brady a perfect example.

Tom Brady a perfect example.

A great example of what these players can become if everything goes right. Some less extreme examples of QBs would be Russel and Dalton both going after round 1 but both becoming serviceable starters right out of the gate. You don't need to hit a home run with every pick either, to get a reliable backup out of a late round pick or an UDFA is a great boost to any team. Injuries are a major part of the game and having a no-name step up and fill a position is great for the lockerroom My favorite players are usually the tough unsung heroes though so I see the value and enjoy watching some of these guys develop even if they do move on pretty quickly.

Edited by RO8!!

Johnson said he doesn't plan to attend organized team activities and minicamp. He hasn't requested a trade, but wondered at a charity event on Tuesday, "Is this still the place for me?"

"I just look at my career. ... I've only been to the playoffs twice. I think we've only had three winning seasons," said Johnson, according to the Houston Chronicle. "I don't think any player wants to experience that. I think over time it can become very frustrating.

"And this offseason has been very frustrating for me; beginning of the offseason, I should say. That's just kind of where I'm at right now."

Johnson's comments come three days after the conclusion of a draft in which the Texans didn't address the quarterback position until the selection of Tom Savage with the 135th overall pick. The team selected linebacker Jadeveon Clowney with the draft's top pick.

"I'm just taking some time, thinking about some things," Johnson said. "You know, when I make my decision I'll make my decision and go from there."

Andre Johnson wants out? Sounds like he's leaning on doing so. Don't blame him, he's been loyal to them and he deserves a better place to be especially with Houston not getting a QB for him.

Andre Johnson wants out? Sounds like he's leaning on doing so. Don't blame him, he's been loyal to them and he deserves a better place to be especially with Houston not getting a QB for him.

He's had an average qb his whole time there. Sounds like he is finally fed up

Tons of great players are drafted in the 5th+ round. Kyle Williams wasn't draft till the mid 5th round. Stevie Johnson went in the 7th round. Bo Jackson didn't even go until the 7th lol. Lots of players will make the NFL in 5+.

While I agree with your point, the Bo Jackson thing was a little bit special of a situation.

He was actually picked 1st overall, but declined to sign because the Bucs picked him and they lost negotiating rights when he went into pursuing baseball. Many thought he was done with football, but Al Davis just took a shot by picking him in the 7th round the next year as he was still draft eligible hoping he would sign, which of course he did.

Edited by canuckfan_21

While I agree with your point, the Bo Jackson thing was a little bit special of a situation.

He was actually picked 1st overall, but declined to sign because the Bucs picked him and they lost negotiating rights when he went into pursuing baseball. Many thought he was done with football, but Al Davis just took a shot by picking him in the 7th round the next year as he was still draft eligible hoping he would sign, which of course he did.

Kind of like how the Canucks got Pavel Bure?

Kind of like how the Canucks got Pavel Bure?

Maybe? I'll be honest I don't really know about the story that landed Pavel in Vancouver.

Here's the link to the espn film that is how I knew the thing about Bo Jackson. Absolutely great film, my favorite one other than the Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQQQ161c4S4

Edited by canuckfan_21

If I were a Texans fan I would hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to

Andre Johnson wants to play with a great QB with a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl?
Houston wants Ryan Mallett?

Heyoooooo ..

If I were a Texans fan I would hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to do that. Trade the guy who has been the face of their franchise for the last decade and is still a very good receiver for a quarterback, that while yes he has certain intangibles has throwns 4 passes and completed 1 in his career.