The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

There is a conflict of interest.

NFL to Beast Mode: "Were kicking you out of the NFC championship game and the Super Bowl if you wear your gold shoes".

NFL to cheating Patriots: "We'll be dragging our feet on this and won't say anything until after the Super Bowl when everyone loses interest in the story".

I do agree it's ridiculously stupid the treatment Lynch gets.

The NFL can't get over last year and continue to punish him this year.

Did you hear the NFL is selling pictures of him grabbing his crotch? How do you justify penalizing a guy for something, and then making money off of a picture of that penalty?

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Arizona rolls out the unwelcome mat for Seahawk fans

What’s really griping Arizona residents is that their plan wasn’t just to furnish the dance floor for Super Bowl XLIX, they wanted to be the belle of the ball.

News flash for Super Bowl-bound Seahawks fans: Not everyone in Arizona loves us.

We are smug. We are opportunistic. We let a little success go to our heads.

On an online Arizona sports-chat site, a commenter named “NeverSayDieFan,” challenges anyone to name two NFL teams more disliked outside their home areas than the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots. (Although he’s willing to give the Dallas Cowboys honorable mention.)

Another contributor, “40yearfan,” spells out exactly what he wants to see: “Patriots 47, Hawks 3, (and) the Seahawks play so badly, NFL declares them ineligible for the next three Super Bowls.”

Is there no loyalty from our own division-mates?

Dan Bickley, a sports columnist for The Arizona Republic, said the prospect of neon-green-clad Seahawks fans inundating the Valley of the Sun is unsettling to locals.

“Cardinal fans already loathe their presence at Super Bowl XLIX, and they haven’t even arrived yet.”

Bickley sheds some light on what his people are so upset about.

Turns out it’s complex: The swagger of cornerback Richard Sherman, the obscene gestures of running back Marshawn Lynch, even the oft-cited “Seattle freeze” in which Puget Sounders shun outsiders.

All of this, of course, is background. What’s really griping Arizona residents is that their plan wasn’t just to furnish the dance floor for Super Bowl XLIX, they wanted to be the belle of the ball.

And they were well on their way, at 8-1, when quarterback Carson Palmer was sidelined by a season-ending knee injury in November.

The Cardinals went on to lose five of their next eight games, including two to Seattle, as the Seahawks erased Arizona’s three-game lead in the NFC West.

So Seahawks fans, ask yourself this: If your brother stole your sweetheart’s affections, would you be consoled that she was still in the family?

Or this: If CenturyLink Field were chosen to hold the Super Bowl, could you bear the idea that our noisy treasure would resound with cheers for two squads of outsiders, while we served them hot dogs and beer?

One big slice of Arizona that’s sure to have the welcome mat out is the tourism industry, expecting the Super Bowl to fill more than 90 percent of the Phoenix area’s 62,000 hotel rooms.

Douglas MacKenzie, spokesman for VisitPhoenix.com, said he doubts Seattle visitors will be made to feel unwelcome by Cardinals fans.

“I think any team’s disappointment ... is going to be overshadowed by the excitement of the Super Bowl,” he said.

An online Cardinals fan forum invited commenters to say whom they would like to win the Super Bowl. The results as of midday Friday: 14 for Seattle, 14 for New England and 11 who selected “hate both and won’t vote.”

Justin Perron, a former Whidbey Island resident now heading a Scottsdale-based Seahawks fan group, said he thinks many Phoenix fans will root for New England in the Super Bowl, because of the setbacks the Seahawks have dealt the Cardinals.

Even so, he views the friction between Seattle and Phoenix fans as mostly a healthy rivalry.

“I’ve never seen an actual fight between Cardinals and Seahawks fans,” Perron said, and he regularly attends the Seahawks’ annual game in Arizona.

Perron said the Phoenix area has so many ties to Seattle — Northwest snowbirds who head south for the winter, baseball fans who attend spring training — that a fan war between the two cities wouldn’t make sense.

One online commenter who said he can’t stand the Seahawks notes that, this season, Sherman’s No. 25 and Lynch’s No. 24 jerseys have been showing up with increasing frequency on Arizona residents.

“Seahawk bandwagon fans,” he sniffs.

Rest assured, as you travel south, that Arizona merchants will happily accept your Seattle cash and Visa card.

And if you hear any Cardinals fans grumbling, you might want to just let them be.

But if you’re up for a lively discussion, ask the Arizonan who claims to know how a Super Bowl winner should behave just how many Super Bowl victories the Arizona Cardinals have brought home. (Hint: It rhymes with hero.)

There is a conflict of interest.

NFL to Beast Mode: "Were kicking you out of the NFC championship game and the Super Bowl if you wear your gold shoes".

NFL to cheating Patriots: "We'll be dragging our feet on this and won't say anything until after the Super Bowl when everyone loses interest in the story".

Said there's conflict of interest because goodell and kraft are friends so nothing will happen. No reporter had the courage to tell him kraft was issued the maximum fine and maximum draft pick punishment by his "conflict of interest buddy" goodell in 07

You know there is no evidence as to what happened and it was natural causes so they can't really do anything. And they just fined Wilfork a few days ago for a late hit in the Colts game so yea. To think there's a conflict of interest is utter bs and trickling into the insane conspiracy world. Just no.

They still have yet to find out if the Patriots did it. Innocent until proven guilty.

You definitely missed what I wrote to RussianRocket earlier today about this video. In the end, the video works against the Pats and not for them. Here, I'll copy/paste what I wrote.

They said what everybody has been saying all along, it's not flight speed but it's how well you can grip the ball. A normal person can only get a 1mm advantage but an NFL QB can get more.

The weight "disadvantage" that you want to cite is more than offset by the weight of the rain according to the end of the video, which in turn gives the lost velocity back to the ball on top of a little extra when you factor in the new weight and the better grip. All that video does is end up proving what people have been saying all along about the advantages.

These clowns won't even be punished for that.

They'll get fined. It's all it's really worth. Taking anything higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick, with said fine, will be too harsh. In my opinion, Brady knew the whole time, but I feel bad for Belichick because I don't think he had any idea. That's a QB/equipment personnel thing. A handful of QB's have come out and said that they try and sometimes do get illegal balls past the refs. It's gamesmanship that's only cheating if you get caught. Unfortunately for the Pats, they got caught.

When I was in my competitive years many moons ago, I would have tried any and every trick in the book to win a hockey or a football game.

Anything short of the commissioner invoking the worst penalty under "Rule 17", it's worth taking the chance in order to get to the Super Bowl.

You definitely missed what I wrote to RussianRocket earlier today about this video. In the end, the video works against the Pats and not for them. Here, I'll copy/paste what I wrote.

Sorry, I saw on another Sports video that deflated footballs is more of an advantage for the defending team.

How do we know that it wasn't the Colts that deflated them?

I became a big OBJ fan this year. He just revealed that he had muscle tears in his legs and wasn't 100% all year. So 91 catches, 1305 rec yds, and 12 tds was just a warmup!? That to in just 12 games?? Good lawdddd

Back to deflategate now...

You interrupted our discussion of wet, soggy, deflated balls!!!

Also, damnnnnn. He was hurt the whole year? That's insane. He was an excellent pick.

I became a big OBJ fan this year. He just revealed that he had muscle tears in his legs and wasn't 100% all year. So 91 catches, 1305 rec yds, and 12 tds was just a warmup!? That to in just 12 games?? Good lawdddd

Back to deflategate now...

Imagine him healthy, over 16 games, with a healthy Victor Cruz opposite him to take some of the attention away...