Sign in to follow this  
Shift-4

CFL Thread

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. The quintessential gate driven league. They needed that money from the Feds to make it happen. (I agree with not giving it to them, BTW)

So if the league folds or loses franchises would a government support have been warranted considering there will be future lost federal revenue in terms of gst collected on tickets, merchandise food and beverage and income tax on player and other employee salaries.  Even one year of these revenues gets to what the final ask of the league was.  We don’t need to play football but the contributions to the Canadian economy of this league are very real.

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

So if the league folds or loses franchises would a government support have been warranted considering there will be future lost federal revenue in terms of gst collected on tickets, merchandise food and beverage and income tax on player and other employee salaries.  Even one year of these revenues gets to what the final ask of the league was.  We don’t need to play football but the contributions to the Canadian economy of this league are very real.

I think with the current financial situation in the country, we have to pick our spots.

If there truly is a market for CFL football, it will survive a missed season.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Rosalie73 said:

I miss the CFL!

Me too.   As summer fades out it was always a welcome way to divert my time away from the beach/trails to football.  I love the NFL too but am pretty convinced it'll be gone soon too...with the way things are going and COVID starting to hit the teams.

We can't have nice things right now but the sad part for me is that it seems like this will be the new "normal" for quite some time.  Back in March, we all kind of figured we'd be good to go again by now.  Just really getting started it seems.

I hope the CFL can survive...not sure if it will.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Me too.   As summer fades out it was always a welcome way to divert my time away from the beach/trails to football.  I love the NFL too but am pretty convinced it'll be gone soon too...with the way things are going and COVID starting to hit the teams.

We can't have nice things right now but the sad part for me is that it seems like this will be the new "normal" for quite some time.  Back in March, we all kind of figured we'd be good to go again by now.  Just really getting started it seems.

I hope the CFL can survive...not sure if it will.

I wonder how the CFL can continue going forward.  

While it does have a core rabid fanbase, it isn't enough to sustain the whole operation.  

As blasphemous as it sounds, should the CFL just end up as the "AHL" of the NFL with American rules?  I mean Canadian rules is unique, but unlike European hockey leagues.... the CFL is literally just an hour drive away from their NFL counterparts.  The hockey leagues KHL and SHL, or the baseball league NPB are able to survive because they don't actually compete directly with the NHL or MLB respectively as they are worlds away.  

• Upvote 1

Long time owner of the BC. Lions, Toronto Argonauts, Hamilton Tiger Cats and the Vancouver Whitecaps/86 ers David Braley passes at 79 years of age.

Braley died on October 26, 2020, at his home in Burlington, Ontario.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Braley

"

Braley owned the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from 1987 until 1990 when the team returned to community ownership.[6] He returned to the CFL with his purchase of the Lions in 1997.[5] He also owned the Vancouver 86ers soccer club, later the Vancouver Whitecaps, of the A-League, keeping professional soccer alive from 1997–2000.[7] In early 2010, he also became owner of the Argonauts, becoming the only person to own two CFL teams simultaneously.[8] In an effort to minimize the ensuing controversy, the league has scheduled games between the Lions and Argonauts early in the season in order to avoid possible playoff implications. He announced the sale of the Argonauts to Bell Media and Larry Tanenbaum on May 20, 2015, with the deal to close at the end of the year.[9]

Braley has served as the chair of the CFL's Board of Governors and was the CFL's interim commissioner from March 2002 to November 2002.[5]

Braley was chairman of the 2003 World Cycling Championships in Hamilton.[10]

He was a director of Ontario's successful bid to host the 2015 Pan Am Games and was subsequently a member of the board overseeing preparations for the games.[6] Braley resigned upon his appointment to the Senate, as the body's by-laws specifically bar elected officials and Senators from serving on the board.[11]

Numerous institutions across Hamilton, Ontario are named in his honour, including the David Braley Athletic Centre and the David Braley Health Sciences Centre at McMaster University, the David Braley Athletic and Recreation Centre at Mohawk College, and the David Braley Resaerch Institute at the Hamilton General Hospital.

In 2012, Braley was elected into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame."

• Thanks 1