The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

6 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Wishful thinking as BC loses another. 

Did not see the game but news media report it was dud of a game as the Lions moved up and down the field but could not score.   BC had only 3 points entering the final minute of the game.   3 points in front of a home crowd against a Eastern rival who is usually jetlagged is disgraceful.   Feel sorry for the 16,000+ paying fans who had to

endure this horror of a game.  Keep it up and there will be 10,00 fans at season end.

BTW, is not a player problem but a GM/Coaching problem.   You could bring in Tom Brady and you will get the same result.

The total failure to figure out how to use a guy who was a star CFL WR in Duron Carter just 3 years ago is appalling.

There is no way they can bring back the same group of players and staff without major changes.

For instance Jarious Jackson OC and OL coach Bryan Chiu fired.

Duron Carter not offered a contract at the end of the season.

Bring in better younger American talent. Focus on California, Texas,Florida,Georgia, and Seattle area free agent camps.

Look to NFL teams that have any sort of CFL connection to convince a player to come up north after getting cut.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:36 PM, spur1 said:

Good game however the Lions were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Just had to bump this as Global used the same phrase Friday night when talking about the Lions. Do they read CDC?:huh:

the Offensive line takes heat for not being able to block in pass protection but Reilly has to take some of that heat as well. He is constantly trying to load up a 30-40 plus yard pass when the blocking isnt there. They dont have the talent to do that. Then you have to look at the short passing game and try to get more of a 5-10 yard play and let the receivers break a couple tackles. Also he sits in the pocket waiting for the Opposition D line to come get him. move your feet, get outside and move the pocket around. The OC is part of that issue as well. Its been a bad year all around but the person whose feet this lays at is Hervey.

Signs a top flight QB to a huge contract that basically handcuffs the team on signing solid roster players

Signs a first year head coach who frankly isnt getting a fair shake with this mess of a roster Hervey has given him but who clearly has no answers to some of the big issues.

Dismantles the former team , and i know it was Wally's guys, but leaves basically no one for the fan to identify with thus no one cares that they are 1-9 for the first time in 50 years. Theres no one outside of Burnham for the fan to care about.

Its not even the fact that they are losing, its the way they play that is not entertaining at all. No attempt to try anything , no fake punts. No double reverses. No reverse passes, no RB throwing the ball. Man I miss watching Don Matthews teams play. You never knew what they would do next.

Some times the big QB splash doesnt work out. as much as I loved watching Matt Dunigan play for the lions the year after the trade and grey cup loss they went 7-11 while the Eskimos went 16-2 after receiving 6 players for Matt. At this point the situation might resolve itself because if reilly keeps taking hits like this the odds are one time he will not get up and wont be able to play either the rest of the season or any more in his career. i dont wish that for him, i just see it coming.

Edited by mikeyman109

Andrew Harris suspended for positive test.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/cfl-suspends-bombers-harris-for-two-games-for-positive-drug-test/ar-AAGlWfg?ocid=spartandhp

WINNIPEG — Blue Bombers running back Andrew Harris says a case of product contamination led to his positive test for an anabolic steroid.

The CFL announced Monday that Harris been suspended two games for positive test for Metandienone, a banned substance under the joint drug policy of the league and the CFL Players' Association.

"It's been devastating. It's been hard to focus on football," said Harris during a press conference Monday. "After we win a game, I'm thinking about what's going to happen in a couple of days or possibly next week, and how this is going to affect my team and the journey we're on. I don't want to be a distraction. I would never want to put my team in jeopardy or myself in jeopardy, or my career. Now I've got to face the music and just try to move on."

Harris said he believes a legal nutritional supplement tainted with Metandieone, an anabolic steroid and performance enhancing drug commonly sold under the brand name Dianabol, caused him to test positive.

"I've known about this for three weeks," he said "This has been extremely hard."

Both of Harris' A and B samples tested positive, which means the appeal process has already been completed.

"When I first found out I didn't even really believe it. I was kind of beside myself," he said. "I just wanted answers. Getting that B sample is something we went through, and it was the same answer. So at that point there was not much else you can do."

Since learning of his positive test, Harris moved into the CFL's Top 10 all-time rushing list, while also becoming the all-time leader among Canadian players in yards from scrimmage.

"I took a supplement... that stated it was all natural ingredients. Obviously it wasn't. And I'm taking full responsibility for the fact that I did take that. But from the ingredients listed on the label, it said all natural." 

Harris claims been tested for banned substances more often than any of his Blue Bombers teammates; eight times since joining his hometown Blue Bombers in 2016, he said, including three times this year.

Harris said his blood and urine were clean when tested March 1 and again on July 2 before a positive urine sample was collected in a third test conducted July 12.

"The one thing I have on my side is the timing and the volume," said Harris. "I've been tested three times this year, I've been tested more than any other player in my four years here, and I've never had an issue.

"If I was intentionally taking this substance, there would be more of a volume in my system, instead of a small trace."

Harris would not reveal the specific supplement he ingested.

"It was a men's male energy supplement. It's basically anti-oxidant, multi-vitamin, and then there's some natural testosterone enhancers. A lot of these companies work with different labs and different manufacturers, and my assumption is that's where it came from. I'm going to be working on trying to figure out the actual source."

Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea believes Harris did not ingest a banned substance on purpose.

"Ultimately, every athlete in any sport that has a drug-testing policy is responsible for what they ingest," O'Shea said. "And Andrew knew that. He's not sidestepping that. He's responsible for that. Just the fact he was tested 10 days prior with a blood and urine sample, and that came back clean.... to me it's pretty evident he ingested something in a supplement that he was unaware was contaminated and then tested positive 10 days later."

O'Shea was asked for his initial reaction after learning Harris tested positive.

"Obviously disbelief, and feel for the guy. Andrew's worked so bloody hard to get to where he's at, and to do things the right way. Certainly shock, and then want to make sure he's OK," O'Shea said.

There has been clear support from Harris' teammates as roughly 10 Blue Bombers players entered Monday's press conference at IG Field.

"I'm one of those people who that supports my friends in triumph and turmoil," said Winnipeg quarterback Matt Nichols. "Obviously it's a tough situation for Andrew but I think more than anything it's a lesson that with all the supplement companies out there, there's a lot that's cross-contaminated and there's a lot of cases like this thing happening."

The CFL's current rushing leader will miss the annual Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl back-to-backs between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Saskatchewan Roughriders, and will be eligible to return to the field following Winnipeg's bye week when they face the Montreal Alouettes on Sept. 21.

Darrin Bauming, The Canadian Press

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

Andrew Harris suspended for positive test.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/cfl-suspends-bombers-harris-for-two-games-for-positive-drug-test/ar-AAGlWfg?ocid=spartandhp

WINNIPEG — Blue Bombers running back Andrew Harris says a case of product contamination led to his positive test for an anabolic steroid.

The CFL announced Monday that Harris been suspended two games for positive test for Metandienone, a banned substance under the joint drug policy of the league and the CFL Players' Association.

"It's been devastating. It's been hard to focus on football," said Harris during a press conference Monday. "After we win a game, I'm thinking about what's going to happen in a couple of days or possibly next week, and how this is going to affect my team and the journey we're on. I don't want to be a distraction. I would never want to put my team in jeopardy or myself in jeopardy, or my career. Now I've got to face the music and just try to move on."

Harris said he believes a legal nutritional supplement tainted with Metandieone, an anabolic steroid and performance enhancing drug commonly sold under the brand name Dianabol, caused him to test positive.

"I've known about this for three weeks," he said "This has been extremely hard."

Both of Harris' A and B samples tested positive, which means the appeal process has already been completed.

"When I first found out I didn't even really believe it. I was kind of beside myself," he said. "I just wanted answers. Getting that B sample is something we went through, and it was the same answer. So at that point there was not much else you can do."

Since learning of his positive test, Harris moved into the CFL's Top 10 all-time rushing list, while also becoming the all-time leader among Canadian players in yards from scrimmage.

"I took a supplement... that stated it was all natural ingredients. Obviously it wasn't. And I'm taking full responsibility for the fact that I did take that. But from the ingredients listed on the label, it said all natural." 

Harris claims been tested for banned substances more often than any of his Blue Bombers teammates; eight times since joining his hometown Blue Bombers in 2016, he said, including three times this year.

Harris said his blood and urine were clean when tested March 1 and again on July 2 before a positive urine sample was collected in a third test conducted July 12.

"The one thing I have on my side is the timing and the volume," said Harris. "I've been tested three times this year, I've been tested more than any other player in my four years here, and I've never had an issue.

"If I was intentionally taking this substance, there would be more of a volume in my system, instead of a small trace."

Harris would not reveal the specific supplement he ingested.

"It was a men's male energy supplement. It's basically anti-oxidant, multi-vitamin, and then there's some natural testosterone enhancers. A lot of these companies work with different labs and different manufacturers, and my assumption is that's where it came from. I'm going to be working on trying to figure out the actual source."

Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea believes Harris did not ingest a banned substance on purpose.

"Ultimately, every athlete in any sport that has a drug-testing policy is responsible for what they ingest," O'Shea said. "And Andrew knew that. He's not sidestepping that. He's responsible for that. Just the fact he was tested 10 days prior with a blood and urine sample, and that came back clean.... to me it's pretty evident he ingested something in a supplement that he was unaware was contaminated and then tested positive 10 days later."

O'Shea was asked for his initial reaction after learning Harris tested positive.

"Obviously disbelief, and feel for the guy. Andrew's worked so bloody hard to get to where he's at, and to do things the right way. Certainly shock, and then want to make sure he's OK," O'Shea said.

There has been clear support from Harris' teammates as roughly 10 Blue Bombers players entered Monday's press conference at IG Field.

"I'm one of those people who that supports my friends in triumph and turmoil," said Winnipeg quarterback Matt Nichols. "Obviously it's a tough situation for Andrew but I think more than anything it's a lesson that with all the supplement companies out there, there's a lot that's cross-contaminated and there's a lot of cases like this thing happening."

The CFL's current rushing leader will miss the annual Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl back-to-backs between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Saskatchewan Roughriders, and will be eligible to return to the field following Winnipeg's bye week when they face the Montreal Alouettes on Sept. 21.

Darrin Bauming, The Canadian Press

Dianabol is what Ben Johnson took.  It’s a horse steroid.  Harris isn’t the only cheater on his team, or in the CFL.  It’s friggin’ football!  Hello, McFly.  Of course these guys are taking roids.  

On 8/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, fanfor42 said:

Dear David Braley

As a long time fan I want to ask you. Are you still interested in this team? Do you want to be involved or not?

You have been a good owner over the years. You were a driving force that helped focus the team on winning and being committed to success. 

But now I'm not sure you're the right owner anymore.

The team needs dedicated involved committed uwners.

Maybe time to pass the torch my friend.

Thanks for all you have meant to us. Please consider whether it's time to give younger owners a shot.

Braley is too busy concentrating on making the Argos the powerhouse that they are.

:bigblush:

Edited by PistolPete13

On 8/31/2019 at 4:30 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Braley is too busy concentrating on making the Argos the powerhouse that they are.

:bigblush:

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

yeah .. shows a lot of effort

to own the 2 absolute worst teams in the league

and no other team is even close to being as bad as these 2

Braley sold the Argo's to Bell and MLSE in 2015, but do carry on.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, gurn said:

Braley sold the Argo's to Bell and MLSE in 2015, but do carry on.

Where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday that one owner two teams was the issue.

Now it’s other former Eskimos running our show and skewering the franchise with stupid trades, and a clueless coaching staff.

I grew up in East Van watching the Leos in the 1960s so I’ve pretty much seen it all. A few years of brilliance but mostly troubles and mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Braley also owns the Ti-cats.

Nope, that would be this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats

"

The owner/caretaker of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club is businessman Bob Young, who purchased the club on October 7, 2003. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and graduated from Victoria College at the University of Toronto. His fortune was earned in the software industry and he is currently the owner and CEO of Lulu, a self-publishing website.[10]

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, that would be this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats

"

The owner/caretaker of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club is businessman Bob Young, who purchased the club on October 7, 2003. He was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and graduated from Victoria College at the University of Toronto. His fortune was earned in the software industry and he is currently the owner and CEO of Lulu, a self-publishing website.[10]

Oops

On 9/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday that one owner two teams was the issue.

Now it’s other former Eskimos running our show and skewering the franchise with stupid trades, and a clueless coaching staff.

I grew up in East Van watching the Leos in the 1960s so I’ve pretty much seen it all. A few years of brilliance but mostly troubles and mediocrity.

Pretty much all Vancouver sports franchises.... :sadno:

• Cheers 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, PistolPete13 said:

The only good years were the ones under Bobby Ackles.  Once he was gone things were never the same.

The worst years were the ones between 1965 and 1975.   Coincidentally, 1975 was the year Ackles first became Lions GM when he brought in Vic Rapp to get some respectability for the LIons.  After Vic Rapp, came Don Matthews who made the Lions no.1 team in the CFL for awhile. 

Ackles also brought in Wally Buono in 2003, making the Lions an annual playoff contender.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DonLever said:

The only good years were the ones under Bobby Ackles.  Once he was gone things were never the same.

The worst years were previously the ones between 1965 and 1975.  The worst single year is now going to be 2019.

FTFY. 

A friend of mine called this year's Lions the worst team he has ever seen. We've both been fans since the 70s.

Terrible GM made irrational moves and decimated an ok team. Turned it into a laughing stock and handed the keys to a terrible rookie coach.  Where are the young guys coming up?  Where is the hope?

I'll tell you. 

It's Braley selling the team. That's where the hope lies.

Missed most of the game, lucky me, while having dinner out.

However I did hear the last 12 or so minutes of the 4th quarter. I do wonder who decided to let the clock run and take their time with 5 minutes left or so?

They end up going for a field goal, gave up possession then get the ball back with near no time left. Bet they could have used an extra minute, that they gave away just moments earlier.

4 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Lions fkn suck.  Why would anyone even care?

Well I hear you. Maybe nobody should care. But I've followed the Lions as long as the Nux. Bout 50 years. That's a lot of time.

Here's the thing.  Lions could simply fold and go away if Braley let's them disintegrate. 

Maybe you wouldnt care. And mabe youre right. But honestly I'd miss them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1