The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

5 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Was hoping for a better game.  So far

Imagine that, not a lot of people talking about football on a hockey forum.

Actually,  there are a lot people talking about football on a hockey forum.   Its called the NFL thread.  There are only 10 posts since August 10 on the CFL thread, compared to hundreds of posts on the NFL thread.   In fact, just today the NFL thread has more posts (19) in one day than 3 months on the CFL thread (10).

Edited by DonLever

58 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Actually,  there are a lot people talking about football on a hockey forum.   Its called the NFL thread.  There are only 10 posts since August 10 on the CFL thread, compared to hundreds of posts on the NFL thread.   In fact, just today the NFL thread has more posts (19) in one day than 3 months on the CFL thread (10).

The number of posts would be higher if/when the Lions become competitive.

They would also be higher if I wasn't working this p.m. and unable to watch the Cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, rick campbell is in the house, i am very happy ......i personally want maas to join as OC, cause mike reillly did so well with him, and i can see it sparking something special again...... rick did a great job with ottawa esp with what he had to play with, no QB, mediocre def ....decent receivers ...i can see us winning the grey cup in 1-2 years ...

and rick is so hardcore with this, he changed his twitter name and now has all BC/Vancouver alll over it hehe, good man, and with him moving himself and his family here, is great

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Maybe the Oilers should drop their name - could be offensive to those that want green energy?

Edmonton’s CFL team dropping use of name ‘Eskimos’

The Edmonton-based CFL team will no longer be called “Eskimos.”

The decision, announced by the team’s board of directors, comes after a review by the team and after it twice said this year that it was keeping the name, which has been associated with Edmonton sports teams since the 19th century.

“Our team has a long history of winning — both on and off the field — and we will continue to do so going forward,” board chair Janice Agrios said in a statement. “We feel it is important to make this change in response to the findings of our recent engagement and research. Going forward, we want the focus to be on the work we do in the community and our team’s excellence on the field as the CFL’s most successful franchise.”

The statement adds that the club will “undertake a comprehensive engagement process” to find a new name which will include “research and engagement with season seat holders, casual ticket purchasers and partners.”

More here:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/edmontons-cfl-team-dropping-use-name-eskimos/

Seeing a fair amount of talk today about the new name being the Edmonton Eagles.

Serious question: are there really eagles in Edmonton? 

I definitely don’t recall seeing any whenever I’ve been there.

I’m sure they do have some eagles. But how many? How common are they?

I read somewhere that they only have a couple breeding pairs. Another place said they count somewhere between 2-6 eagles in a birding survey every year.

Sounds pretty rare to me.

At least compared to Vancouver. 

I mean, just driving down the 99 by Mud Bay, I see dozens of eagles every single trip. Same thing with several other spots around the Lower Mainland. Maybe there aren’t too many eagles nesting inside of Vancouver city limits (other than out at UBC and at Stanley Park) but eagles are definitely a common sight in and around the Vancouver area.

Can’t really say the same for Edmonton. Then again, I don’t live there. But I’ve visited Edmonton several times. Never saw an eagle.

Does anyone really think “eagles” when they think of Edmonton?

(Fights off urge to insert a mean joke here.)

I mean, sure, it’s a cool bird and a decent enough name for any sports team. But it really seems like they’re just choosing random “E” words so they can keep the EE logo.

And there must be better “E” words that really say Edmonton.

(Fights off second urge to insert a mean joke.)

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

True, but how many eskimos did you see in Edmonton?

So it would seem prevalence was not what they based their name on to begin with. :)

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seeing a fair amount of talk today about the new name being the Edmonton Eagles.

Serious question: are there really eagles in Edmonton? 

I’m sure they do have some eagles. But how many? How common are they?

I read somewhere that they only have a couple breeding pairs. Another place said they count somewhere between 2-6 eagles in a birding survey every year.

Sounds pretty rare to me.

At least compared to Vancouver. 

I mean, just driving down the 99 by Mud Bay, I see dozens of eagles every single trip. Same thing with several other spots around the Lower Mainland. Maybe there aren’t too many eagles nesting inside of Vancouver city limits (other than out at UBC and at Stanley Park) but eagles are definitely a common sight in and around the Vancouver area.

Can’t really say the same for Edmonton. Then again, I don’t live there. But I’ve visited Edmonton several times. Never saw an eagle.

Does anyone really think “eagles” when they think of Edmonton?

(Fights off urge to insert a mean joke here.)

I mean, sure, it’s a cool bird and a decent enough name for any sports team. But it really seems like they’re just choosing random “E” words so they can keep the EE logo.

And there must be better “E” words that really say Edmonton.

(Fights off second urge to insert a mean joke.)

I jokingly thought of Edmonton Eagles, but that's only because I'm trying to fit their double E thing.

I also thought of Edmonton Edmontonians, but...

11 hours ago, c00kies said:

I jokingly thought of Edmonton Eagles, but that's only because I'm trying to fit their double E thing.

I also thought of Edmonton Edmontonians, but...

then you need to switch it up to make it more classiererer

THE Edmontonian of Edmonton

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

Edmonton ECHo -O-O-O

they could get a good sponsorship from Toyota and give away a free car if they score 8 field goals

either that or they get sued by Toyota haha