The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

38 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

What does the CFL want to be?

I read an article on TSN today that I can no longer find. Basically stating how the planned partnership with the XFL fell through and how attendance prior to covid has been waning in the major cities, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. I wonder if it's cause or coincidence that these three cities are also MLS cities? The last time I watched a CFL game I just felt bored after a quarter of watching. I mean they say the NFL is bad with it's pauses, I think the CFL is worse. I remember going to games in the 90s especially during the Grey Cup run of '94 and there would be a good 30000-40000 people there on most days. They said prior to covid there was only one 20000+ game. 

I don't think it's any coincidence, the game is boring, the rules while they support passing offence are boring, the quality of play is terrible. I honestly would rather see the NFL in Canada at this point, I know that's probably sacrilege to many of you, but I just don't see how football is going to survive in Canada when real football is looking like it will soon surpass it.

The CFL game is fine, but the level of player has dropped dramatically.  There was a time when we got some really good players up here, especially at QB.  Now the NFL is a passing league, and takes all the top QBs.  Add to that the low pay, and we see the poor play as a result.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The CFL game is fine, but the level of player has dropped dramatically.  There was a time when we got some really good players up here, especially at QB.  Now the NFL is a passing league, and takes all the top QBs.  Add to that the low pay, and we see the poor play as a result.  

Yeah I don't see how it is sustainable, I wonder if we'd be better off using NFL rules and being a quasi minor league to the NFL instead.

3 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Yeah I don't see how it is sustainable, I wonder if we'd be better off using NFL rules and being a quasi minor league to the NFL instead.

I think all our high school teams play NFL rules.  

13 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I always remember when I was younger as a kid watching both sports, I was way more interested and entertained when watching NFL, I still watched them both but couldn't understand why I got more bored while watching CFL Lions games, until I got older and realized the CFL needs to add a 4th down. I know their field is bigger, but not having that 4th down imo just kills the sport, this is where the NFL wins everyday, giving a team that extra chance gives it an extra entertainment level, this is where the CFL fails for fan entertainment value. I get that talent is another issue, but besides just talent it just to slow of a game in the CFL imo, add more excitement like giving them an extra down.

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I always remember when I was younger as a kid watching both sports, I was way more interested and entertained when watching NFL, I still watched them both but couldn't understand why I got more bored while watching CFL Lions games, until I got older and realized the CFL needs to add a 4th down. I know their field is bigger, but not having that 4th down imo just kills the sport, this is where the NFL wins everyday, giving a team that extra chance gives it an extra entertainment level, this is where the CFL fails for fan entertainment value. I get that talent is another issue, but besides just talent it just to slow of a game in the CFL imo, add more excitement like giving them an extra down.

I wouldn't mind an extra down as well in the CFL, but I think if they were to do that the first downs would need to be 15 yards. It certainly would allow more running plays.

5 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

but not having that 4th down imo just kills the sport, this is where the NFL wins everyday, giving a team that extra chance gives it an extra entertainment level,

conversely 3 downs gives the other team more chances, to create more offense, so more entertaining.

Need to get  the Lions out of B.C. Place.

Such a shame that Transport Canada would not sign of,f on the outdoor waterfront stadium.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

I wouldn't mind an extra down as well in the CFL, but I think if they were to do that the first downs would need to be 15 yards. It certainly would allow more running plays.

Well if they did change it and add an extra down, then I would want them shortening the field so it's similar to NFL as well, so you don't have to change it to 15 yards with all that open field. If they really want to attract fans they need to make a change, if they continue with what they have, they're just going to keep losing fans and not gain any.

22 hours ago, gurn said:

conversely 3 downs gives the other team more chances, to create more offense, so more entertaining.

Need to get  the Lions out of B.C. Place.

Such a shame that Transport Canada would not sign of,f on the outdoor waterfront stadium.

Oh Gurn, I like how you quoted canuckster using my comment without quoting me :lol:

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh Gurn, I like how you quoted canuckster using my comment without quoting me :lol:

I've seen enough movies and martial arts tourney footage to know; never mess with you, unless I have literally no choice. :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Mr. Self Destruct said:

Lions play the Riders tonight. Anyone else excited for the Lions to finally start playing? 

SO much so.  I watched the Winnipeg/Hamilton game last night with my Dad...was just really happy to have football back again.  (Am also a Bighill fan).

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Self Destruct said:

Lions play the Riders tonight. Anyone else excited for the Lions to finally start playing? 

Heard a 5 second mention of this game on am650 sports news update, otherwise would have no idea it was on.

Will be good to have something to watch in addition to baseball and the last bit of Olympics.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

SO much so.  I watched the Winnipeg/Hamilton game last night with my Dad...was just really happy to have football back again.  (Am also a Bighill fan).

I enjoy watching random CFL games as well. Not a Bomber fan but I do like Bighill.

• Upvote 1

That game was weird.

Down 28-0, final score 33-29. Had a shot at the end despite multiple missed field goals from the new kicker. 

The kicker was the first Japanese born player to get points in a CFL game as he did kick one field goal and get a few points off the misses.

The back up q.b starts for an unable to throw Reilly, and looks bad to begin with, yet gets a td towards the end of the first half,

Second half, third quarter and Reilly is back and narrows the score but his arm gives out at the end of the third .

Roarke comes back in and looked decent/good right till. the game ending interception.

Fun, entertaining game watched by a full stadium of 33,000 people, hope that works out ok.

7 hours ago, gurn said:

That game was weird.

Down 28-0, final score 33-29. Had a shot at the end despite multiple missed field goals from the new kicker. 

The kicker was the first Japanese born player to get points in a CFL game as he did kick one field goal and get a few points off the misses.

The back up q.b starts for an unable to throw Reilly, and looks bad to begin with, yet gets a td towards the end of the first half,

Second half, third quarter and Reilly is back and narrows the score but his arm gives out at the end of the third .

Roarke comes back in and looked decent/good right till. the game ending interception.

Fun, entertaining game watched by a full stadium of 33,000 people, hope that works out ok.

Oh boy, was/is Michael damaged goods when the Lions got him. He hasn't played in two years, and his first game back, can't throw a thirty yard pass. Weren't we lead to believe that this time off was a good thing? Fun game, but I hope that wasn't a spreader event in Regina.

• Vintage 1