The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

The level of player sure seems to have dropped quite a bit in the CFL.  The league is on a downward spiral, and I don’t know how they get out of it.  They don’t pay enough to attract the elite skilled guys they used to.  Makes for really poor quality play, and hard to watch.  

Lions may well be looking at Reilly gone at end of year, playing just enough to mentor the new guy.

Brian Burnham(sp) had a good game

Kick returning was alright

Wide receiver White-cloud?, looked good

And credit to the offensive line, good protection provided.

Will say, what absolutely crappy advertising, about the teams and games even being on.

I had no idea training camp had even started, let alone game one.

Suits was saying approx 700,000 watched Thursdays league opener; would have been at least 700,001 if I had known. I could not be the only uninformed person that would have watched.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The level of player sure seems to have dropped quite a bit in the CFL.  The league is on a downward spiral, and I don’t know how they get out of it.  They don’t pay enough to attract the elite skilled guys they used to.  Makes for really poor quality play, and hard to watch.  

Jon Ryan played years in the NFL.  He's still an excellent punter.  Paxton Lynch was a 1st round NFL draft pick, and he's a backup QB in he CFL.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Jon Ryan played years in the NFL.  He's still an excellent punter.  Paxton Lynch was a 1st round NFL draft pick, and he's a backup QB in he CFL.

Too many guys don’t get paid enough to make it worth their while.  They move on to other careers.  Sad times really.  Used to really enjoy the CFL.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Too many guys don’t get paid enough to make it worth their while.  They move on to other careers.  Sad times really.  Used to really enjoy the CFL.  

Makes sense given most of these guys have played 4 years in the NCAA and should hopefully have degrees.  If you want to pay enough to attract the guys with other options, say goodbye to reasonably priced tickets.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Makes sense given most of these guys have played 4 years in the NCAA and should hopefully have degrees.  If you want to pay enough to attract the guys with other options, say goodbye to reasonably priced tickets.

That’s the dilemma.  The league does great putting fans in seats in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  It’s okay in Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary.  But the big three cities are struggling get fans to attend.  So, does the league increase their salary cap and attract better players, and hope more fans attend?  Or do they charge more per seat to pay for the extra cap dollars, and hope they don’t lose fans?  It’s a real problem.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Lions may well be looking at Reilly gone at end of year, playing just enough to mentor the new guy.

Brian Burnham(sp) had a good game

Kick returning was alright

Wide receiver White-cloud?, looked good

And credit to the offensive line, good protection provided.

Will say, what absolutely crappy advertising, about the teams and games even being on.

I had no idea training camp had even started, let alone game one.

Suits was saying approx 700,000 watched Thursdays league opener; would have been at least 700,001 if I had known. I could not be the only uninformed person that would have watched.

He certainly won't be re-signed for what he got his last contract. I don't think we've ever seen a completely healthy Michael Reilly. Yeah, I don't get the advertising that MLS and the CFL are lacking. But, I guess the media in Vancouver is really only focused on the Canucks 24/7. I don't get the Province or Sun newspapers, which in their heyday, were good sources of CFL game day info. Side note, if I heard it once I heard it a thousand times. "It's so great to see fans again". Enough already!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But the big three cities are struggling get fans to attend.  So, does the league increase their salary cap and attract better players, and hope more fans attend?  Or do they charge more per seat to pay for the extra cap dollars, and hope they don’t lose fans?  It’s a real problem.  

One of those big city teams plays in a horrible venue. Lions, and Whitecaps need to get out of B.C. Place.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

That was quite the effort the Lions put in vs the Riders to nearly come back, but it's already next game time. Lions vs Stamps tonight. Hate to say it, but I think we take an L in this one as well. Reilly is not starting and Mitchell always seems to play well against us.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Self Destruct said:

That was quite the effort the Lions put in vs the Riders to nearly come back, but it's already next game time. Lions vs Stamps tonight. Hate to say it, but I think we take an L in this one as well. Reilly is not starting and Mitchell always seems to play well against us.

Reilly has to play for us to have any chance to win, or honestly to even keep the game close.  Rookie Canadian QB!  This game will be extremely one sided.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Reilly has to play for us to have any chance to win, or honestly to even keep the game close.  Rookie Canadian QB!  This game will be extremely one sided.  

Plus Calgary lost their home opener last week so this is going to be a tough one for the lions on the road 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

We'll lose, but the kid looked a lot better in the second half.

With Reilly having elbow troubles, maybe it’s best to bite the bullet now, and play the kid?  It’s a long season, and he could be looking good down the stretch.  Casey Printers did that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Reilly having elbow troubles, maybe it’s best to bite the bullet now, and play the kid?  It’s a long season, and he could be looking good down the stretch.  Casey Printers did that. 

I think that's best.  Use Reilly to insulate him a bit and help with the transition.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Reilly getting old too might be time to retire