The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We quit watching believing that Hamilton had the game in the bag...so CFL isn't it?

An 0-4 start would have been really hard to come back from.

And Edmonton plus Calgary in the CFL are like the Oilers  and Leafs in hockey-I like watching them lose.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, gurn said:

Hamilton fell apart at the end of the game and the Elks get the win, saves Edmonton from a 0-4 start.

I felt bad for Dane Evans after that game....he was really taking it hard and blaming himself for the loss....

They just had to kill some clock and take care of the ball. The decision was made not to risk a handoff, so Evans ran a QB keeper and fumbled right into the hands of one of the Elks. I didn't particularly like the call....RB's are drilled on protecting the ball, but I suppose I get the concept of not taking a chance on a bad exchange.

I also give credit to Edmonton's DB....it was a textbook punch on the ball that caused the fumble.

• Upvote 1

Ummmph, oh well, fun afternoon. I got to go down to the field after the game to meet and greet a few of the players. The few that wanted to venture out on to the field after that loss. Also met the owner of the team, Mr Doman, very gracious man indeed. Met Ryan Phillips in the elevator going back to the car park, he said they got a good dose of reality, and they in fact end up playing the Bombers in 2 of the last 3 games, both in Winnipeg.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Leos had clawed back into it, but the start of the second half kind of sealed the deal for Winnipeg.

Lion's running game disappeared, and they just conceded on trying to kick the ball away- so special teams were not very special.

4 games done 14 more to go.

The BC Lions getting blown out is a good thing if it means they finally address their problem areas.

1) The run game. James Butler hasn't been the same since getting lit up in the Toronto game, the run blocking could be better but the RB needs to create  and maximize yards on every touch as well. Having said all that... the BC Lions have a fresh ex NFL RB Brian Hill with many years of experience on the roster just waiting to be given a chance. It wouldn't hurt to sit Butler for a game and try a different look.

2) Special teams have been bad all year getting gashed on punt and kickoff returns meanwhile the Lions have nobody who is a threat back there to break a big one themselves. Shai Ross the Canadian has been decent on punt return but the real opportunity comes from kickoffs for big plays with more room to work.

3) Lucky Whitehead man! This guy was their best, fastest, most dangerou and most exciting player just a year ago yet he has been forced to take a backseat so far in the offence! The Lions coaches have not made up for his lack of touches on offence by at least giving him a chance to help flip field position and provide a momentum boost in the kickoff return game. Absolutely insane. Free Lucky!

• Cheers 1

Total 4 game suspension for Saskatchewan player-most in CFL history:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/cfl-hits-roughriders-marino-with-several-suspensions/ar-AAZt1ST?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ebe6f7a1c19047a881566d7e5f2186d6

TORONTO — Defensive lineman Garrett Marino of the Saskatchewan Roughriders has been hit hard with three separate suspensions from the Canadian Football League, along with a stern message from commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

The incidents took place last Friday during the Roughriders' 28-13 victory over the Ottawa Redblacks. The suspensions are the most severe discipline ever imposed by the CFL for in-game behaviour.

“This behaviour has no place in our league,” Ambrosie said in a written statement on Monday. “This discipline is intended to send a strong message that it will not be tolerated.”

Marino received a two-game suspension for a dangerous and reckless low hit on Ottawa quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, which resulted in serious injury and Marino’s ejection from the game, and for Marino’s subsequent celebration of the hit.

He received a one-game suspension for verbal comments made about Masoli’s heritage during the game, which violates the CFL's Code of Conduct. And he received another one-game suspension for his illegal and reckless tackle of an Ottawa offensive lineman on a previous play.

The league also cited Marino’s discipline record after 12 CFL games, which includes a previous ejection and two fines for his manner of play.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 11, 2022

8 hours ago, gurn said:

Total 4 game suspension for Saskatchewan player-most in CFL history:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/cfl-hits-roughriders-marino-with-several-suspensions/ar-AAZt1ST?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ebe6f7a1c19047a881566d7e5f2186d6

TORONTO — Defensive lineman Garrett Marino of the Saskatchewan Roughriders has been hit hard with three separate suspensions from the Canadian Football League, along with a stern message from commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

The incidents took place last Friday during the Roughriders' 28-13 victory over the Ottawa Redblacks. The suspensions are the most severe discipline ever imposed by the CFL for in-game behaviour.

“This behaviour has no place in our league,” Ambrosie said in a written statement on Monday. “This discipline is intended to send a strong message that it will not be tolerated.”

Marino received a two-game suspension for a dangerous and reckless low hit on Ottawa quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, which resulted in serious injury and Marino’s ejection from the game, and for Marino’s subsequent celebration of the hit.

He received a one-game suspension for verbal comments made about Masoli’s heritage during the game, which violates the CFL's Code of Conduct. And he received another one-game suspension for his illegal and reckless tackle of an Ottawa offensive lineman on a previous play.

The league also cited Marino’s discipline record after 12 CFL games, which includes a previous ejection and two fines for his manner of play.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 11, 2022

Wasting an import spot on a 27 year old guy with a track record like this?  No place for this kind of BS in this, or any league.

• 2 weeks later...
East Division
Toronto Argonauts 2 2 0 .500 75 110    
Montreal Alouettes 2 4 0 .333 174 169    
Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1 5 0 .167 117 158    
Ottawa RedBlacks 0 6 0 .000 129 165    
West Division
Winnipeg Blue Bombers 6 0 0 1.000 156 104    
Calgary Stampeders 4 1 0 .800 161 112    
BC Lions 4 1 0 .800 176 104    
Saskatchewan Roughriders 4 2 0 .667 162 129    
Edmonton Elks 2 4 0 .333 121

Good win for the defense last night.

Offence was good at times, quite bad at others.

Hoping Rourke can eliminate some of those interceptions.

I think they need to run a few, quarterback keeps the ball, and runs plays.

Keep the defense a bit confused.

Brian Burnham should be back next game!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/22/2022 at 9:08 AM, gurn said:

Good win for the defense last night.

Offence was good at times, quite bad at others.

Hoping Rourke can eliminate some of those interceptions.

I think they need to run a few, quarterback keeps the ball, and runs plays.

Keep the defense a bit confused.

Brian Burnham should be back next game!

Glad to hear the news about Burnham...he's solid and we miss him. One of my favs.

I've only missed one game and we lost. I'm loving the Lions this year, even when it's not perfect they're finding a way to win. Happy that Lucky got a TD.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the Leos have a real yardstick game coming up. Friday night in Regina, against a team that also has 4 wins.....I don't think BC is at Winnipeg's level yet, but are they at Calgary and Saskatchewan's level yet? I guess we'll find out this weekend.

I can tell you from experience that there's no substitute for throwing interceptions. It's a harsh lesson, but when you move to the next level as a QB, you have to learn what throws you can make and which ones you can't. You do that by testing the limits of your arm strength and making those mistakes. Rourke has been learning that lesson in the past few weeks, but will come out stronger for it.

Personally, I believe the Lions are somewhere between the club that destroyed the Elks and the team that looked overmatched against the Bombers. Hopefully they look more like the former against the Riders....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1