The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

19 hours ago, johngould21 said:

One of the missing ingredients in this Lions game. 

Adams has some mobility but really feel like the best Lions teams had a balanced run game when the weather got cold. 

The Lions OL is not great pass or run blocking wise but James Butler seems like an average back that they should be looking to upgrade on if it all possible. With recent NFL cuts and practice rosters being formed there should be some better options.

• Cheers 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:00 AM, gurn said:

Hard game, kept close.

Need the running game to get called a lot more;  and again, still need quarterback specific run plays, of more than 2 yards design.

Note for a while they couldn't play Butler due to the import rules- so that needs to bee addressed.

Should always be able to field a running back.

would have been better off to only throw deep a once  a quarter, and keep the rest in the 5-15 yrd range.

Not a bad performance by a first time starter, he will be better next week-if he is fit to play.

Yeah I like that they are trying to stay afloat this year by going out and getting Adams and an actual kick returner who can help flip field position and take a burden off the offence.

Unfortunately I can't remember the last truly exciting RB the Lions have had they just have not put much emphasis in being a great team running the ball the last decade.

This comes down to team philosophy, play calling and quality of talent and coaching of the OL.

Those exciting days of watching Joe Smith, Stefan Logan, and Martell Mallett are long gone.

There was a period of time it seemed like almost every year the Lions had a new exciting CFL rookie.

At some point they became complacent and stopped trying to upgrade when they had washed up Jamal Robertson and Andrew Harris pre roid bulk up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah I like that they are trying to stay afloat this year by going out and getting Adams and an actual kick returner who can help flip field position and take a burden off the offence.

Unfortunately I can't remember the last truly exciting RB the Lions have had they just have not put much emphasis in being a great team running the ball the last decade.

This comes down to team philosophy, play calling and quality of talent and coaching of the OL.

Those exciting days of watching Joe Smith, Stefan Logan, and Martell Mallett are long gone.

There was a period of time it seemed like almost every year the Lions had a new exciting CFL rookie.

At some point they became complacent and stopped trying to upgrade when they had washed up Jamal Robertson and Andrew Harris pre roid bulk up.

Remember good ole Wally didn't want to sign Andrew Harris, what a huge mistake that was.

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

Would love to a Canadian qb become an NFL starter. At the very least have the CFL be a haven for Canadian qbs to develop.

Before Nathan was injured, I read article after article that suggested the Lions would only have him for this season. All the pundits were convinced that a move the NFL was a foregone conclusion.

NR is on the small side for an NFL QB, but there have been precedents...

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Before Nathan was injured, I read article after article that suggested the Lions would only have him for this season. All the pundits were convinced that a move the NFL was a foregone conclusion.

NR is on the small side for an NFL QB, but there have been precedents...

I think he would have had some major interest from teams like Seahawks and Eagles who are quite familiar with having a slightly undersized but mobile QB. He might still depending on how his recovery goes.

He is good enough to be a #3 QB on most NFL teams and at worst would be anintriguing practice squad edition and potentially make more money still than as a CFL starter.

His arm strength has looked NFL caliber and he is certainly a better talent than Chris Streveler who has played in regular season NFL games and been on the main roster of teams after leading Winnipeg to a Grey Cup.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think he would have had some major interest from teams like Seahawks and Eagles who are quite familiar with having a slightly undersized but mobile QB. He might still depending on how his recovery goes.

He is good enough to be a #3 QB on most NFL teams and at worst would be anintriguing practice squad edition and potentially make more money still than as a CFL starter.

His arm strength has looked NFL caliber and he is certainly a better talent than Chris Streveler who has played in regular season NFL games and been on the main roster of teams after leading Winnipeg to a Grey Cup.

Yeah, Russ was one of the guys I was thinking of...Flutie too....Mayfield has been wildly inconsistent, but he's about the same size as Rourke as well...

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I doubt he wants to hold a clipboard. If he doesn't play, I'd see him want to come back to Canada. Are 3rd String QB's salaries guaranteed?

CFL standings

WEST DIVISION

RK TEAM GP W L T PTS F A HOME AWAY DIV
1  Winnipeg x 12 11 1 0 22 318 229 4-1-0 7-0-0 6-0-0
2  BC 10 8 2 0 16 339 208 4-2-0 4-0-0 5-2-0
3  Calgary 11 7 4 0 14 323 259 3-2-0 4-2-0 3-4-0
4  Saskatchewan 12 6 6 0 12 285 279 3-4-0 3-2-0 3-3-0
5  Edmonton 12 3 9 0 6 234 387 0-5-0 3-4-0 0-8-0

EAST DIVISION

RK TEAM GP W L T PTS F A HOME AWAY DIV
1  Toronto 11 6 5 0 12 264 258 4-3-0 2-2-0 4-2-0
2  Montreal 11 4 7 0 8 284 311 2-3-0 2-4-0 2-3-0
3  Ottawa 11 3 8 0 6 230 267 0-5-0 3-3-0 2-2-0
4  Hamilton 12 3 9 0 6 251 330 3-3-0 0-6-0 3-4-0
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I doubt he wants to hold a clipboard. If he doesn't play, I'd see him want to come back to Canada. Are 3rd String QB's salaries guaranteed?

I think it's worth it if he takes a shot and gets a full off-season to learn an NFL playbook and then come in and compete.

I believe he could get a decent chunk guaranteed as a signing bonus. 

Maybe even close to fully guaranteed if there are more team's interested than expected.

His age and tools mobility, leadership and big arm and accuracy are appealing provided he can pass the strict NFL medicals.

He always has the CFL as a backup plan he is still young enough to come back to the CFL in 2 years and be in the MOP frontrunner discussion.

11 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Going to be an ugly end to the season.

Yep, truly sad that we got knocked off course. I had hope because Rourke wasn't the ONLY factor, but he was the driving factor. It shows how vocal leaders are missed when they're ripped out of the line up....hmmm. Sort of supports my JT argument too.

Rourke was often shown going up and down the sidelines, rallying the team. The spark. Especially during periods when they were behind, where he'd fire them up after a good play/series. It's awfully quiet now.

• Cheers 2

Just run the ball, then run the ball some more.

After doing that, run the ball some more.

I didn't like some of the play calling.

2nd down and inches- imo should be treated as a free down, go for lots more yards, if they end up not getting a completion, they have another try to then get the  7 inches they needed.

how many more months will it take to get the special teams working properly?

horrible tackling, letting people escape for an extra 5-6 yards on way to many occasions.

• Cheers 1