The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Kinda have to wonder how much playing time he's going to get as back-up to Trevor Lawrence.

Still and all, I'm guessing he'll make a lot more carrying a clipboard around in Jacksonville than he would being a starter in the CFL.

Good luck to him.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why Jacksonville?  They already have a young star (1OA pick) QB.  Rourke has zero chance to ever Start there. 

My thoughts as well.

I thought he would go to a program with a aging veteran or uncertain starter to be mentored for a year or two and take over eventually.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GB5 said:

My thoughts as well.

I thought he would go to a program with a aging veteran or uncertain starter to be mentored for a year or two and take over eventually.

Must about about getting the three year deal.  He will make a lot during that time.  And his body will take no punishment.  Then he can either get another backup deal down there (and make a lot more) or come back up here if no opportunity arises down south.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Must about about getting the three year deal.  He will make a lot during that time.  And his body will take no punishment.  Then he can either get another backup deal down there (and make a lot more) or come back up here if no opportunity arises down south.  

Ya.  A year on a practice squad is just over 200,000.  Minimum salary is $750,000 for 2023.  Way more than he could earn in the CFL.  

• There it is 1

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

$705,000 league minimum salary in the NFL.

easy to see why he signed a deal, but cloudy as to why with the Jags, though.

Minimum salary seems confusing based on whether the player is active or inactive or simply on the practice roster. The compensation varies a lot. I have seen rates from a minimum of $60,000 per year or $569,500 to $813,000? Then there is guaranteed money versus not. Teams seem to be able to walk away from some contracts. 

Maybe Nathan picked the Jags because the coaching is supposed to be very good. A 3 year term puts him in a good spot. He can build his resume with Jacksonville but also throughout the NFL. Worst case scenario he packs it in and returns to Canada. At best he likely would have got a $600,000 CDN contract which is $446,000 USD.  

• Cheers 2

A guy Rourke's size is always going to be a huge long shot to start in the NFL, but when you can triple your current income just to carry a clipboard, it's crazy not to take the deal....

Hopefully, the Leos are trying to sign Kurtis as we speak....

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A guy Rourke's size is always going to be a huge long shot to start in the NFL, but when you can triple your current income just to carry a clipboard, it's crazy not to take the deal....

Hopefully, the Leos are trying to sign Kurtis as we speak....

Especially when you look at what someone like Tua is going through and all of a sudden potentially losing that income.  Can't blame Rourke at all for making the financially sensible decision, especially after his engagement.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hoping we get someone from the negotiation list; clearly getting a young QB has been made a priority.

Could Rourke get cut?  NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, right?  I think Printers went to the NFL and soon was back up here.  Rourke, though seems to have a head for the game that Printers lacked.  Will cheer for the kid to do well though.  Just don’t see him getting any playing time.  

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could Rourke get cut?  NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, right?  I think Printers went to the NFL and soon was back up here.  Rourke, though seems to have a head for the game that Printers lacked.  Will cheer for the kid to do well though.  Just don’t see him getting any playing time.  

I think there's a decent chance he's the backup.  Burris is a CFL guy on their staff who will ensure he gets a fair shake, and he plays a similar style to Lawrence which enables them to keep the same offensive scheme if he goes down.  

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He was more than serviceable last year.  I'm hopeful he'll be seen better with the offseason to learn the playbook instead of being dropped in there.