The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does a lockout kill the PHX sale?

Boudrias

If the NHL cannot make a new CBA deal what impact does that have on the PHX sale? A year long lockout does not eliminate all the costs of running the franchise. If the NHL is successful in driving labour costs down the long term benefit to all franchises is positive however. Not knowing who the investors are with the Jamieson Group one must wonder if some simply move on. I still suspect that this purchase will (if it happens) led to the franchise relocating. (Hopefully to Seattle)

A lockout could also means a new City council will be in place (November) prior to play resuming. All contenders for that council are on record as being against the arena deal.

It doesn't look good for NHL play this winter. Owners have demonstrated before that they are prepared to shut things down to make their numbers work. The wage roleback is undoubtably the key element to an agreement. If that % can be agreed to then perhaps contract length, bonus and free agency can be negociated.

Good post and contrary to the wannabe site mods, I could care less where an interesting post is posted.

Besides it is just as relevent as all the 'sign Doan' posts and lineup posts showing Doan in the lineup.

The GMs are using the lockout as a cost saving measure and by December they will declare a 'win for hockey' and sign a contract. I would love to see an independent arbitrator assigned to the talks who has the power to get the actual numbers for the bottom line. The owners have never been up front with their books and it is pretty hard to negotiate in good faith without full disclosure. Greed prevails.....and the players are fully justified in not trusting the owners to bargain in good faith.

Good post and contrary to the wannabe site mods, I could care less where an interesting post is posted.

Besides it is just as relevent as all the 'sign Doan' posts and lineup posts showing Doan in the lineup.

The GMs are using the lockout as a cost saving measure and by December they will declare a 'win for hockey' and sign a contract. I would love to see an independent arbitrator assigned to the talks who has the power to get the actual numbers for the bottom line. The owners have never been up front with their books and it is pretty hard to negotiate in good faith without full disclosure. Greed prevails.....and the players are fully justified in not trusting the owners to bargain in good faith.

If the Coyotes sale dies, so be it. I would rather see them contracted, along with the Panthers, and have a dispersal draft for all players, except, of course, UFA's who would remain UFA's.

80 game, semi-balanced schedule would then be possible. Move Wings East. Conferences 14 / 14. Play your own 4 times, play other home-and-home.

:towel::canucks:

Good question. At a time when there is virtually no news about the Canucks and most the of threads are pretty juvenile it is good to see an interesting point made. My guess is a lockout would increase the chances of PHX moving. Seattle is an interesting possibility but I am guessing that Quebec City is a possibility, as is Hamilton.

It would help the Canucks to have a team in Seattle. I was wondering about at least getting an AHL team in the Seattle. I was hoping Aquilini would buy an AHL franchise and move it to Seattle to serve as the Canucks farm team after the deal with Chicago expires this year.

Very interesting question. Honestly I have no idea. I imagine a lockout would at least delay the sale. The Jamieson Group would likely want to know the new CBA so they know what they're getting into, before they buy.

Good question. At a time when there is virtually no news about the Canucks and most the of threads are pretty juvenile it is good to see an interesting point made. My guess is a lockout would increase the chances of PHX moving. Seattle is an interesting possibility but I am guessing that Quebec City is a possibility, as is Hamilton.

It would help the Canucks to have a team in Seattle. I was wondering about at least getting an AHL team in the Seattle. I was hoping Aquilini would buy an AHL franchise and move it to Seattle to serve as the Canucks farm team after the deal with Chicago expires this year.

Contraction over the Lockout?

Sorry, there is as many card carrying NHL players union members in those cities as there is in Alberta. Contraction after the lockout if someone goes bankrupt, but makes no sense now.

Kill a sale of the Coyotes, I doubt it. In spite of the teams like Philly, the league currently owns the Coyotes and have a lot invested in creating "economic systems" which make these markets viable. T.V. deals also are more attractive to American networks with teams in Phoenix, not Canada. So this purchasing group is probably more plugged into what the deal could achieve than anyone!

If the Coyotes sale dies, so be it. I would rather see them contracted, along with the Panthers, and have a dispersal draft for all players, except, of course, UFA's who would remain UFA's.

80 game, semi-balanced schedule would then be possible. Move Wings East. Conferences 14 / 14. Play your own 4 times, play other home-and-home.

:towel::canucks:

Contraction over the Lockout?

Sorry, there is as many card carrying NHL players union members in those cities as there is in Alberta. Contraction after the lockout if someone goes bankrupt, but makes no sense now.

Kill a sale of the Coyotes, I doubt it. In spite of the teams like Philly, the league currently owns the Coyotes and have a lot invested in creating "economic systems" which make these markets viable. T.V. deals also are more attractive to American networks with teams in Phoenix, not Canada. So this purchasing group is probably more plugged into what the deal could achieve than anyone!

What makes anyone think another American city without backyard ice rinks is going to support hockey? A second team in Chicago (with 5 times the population including surrounds) makes more sense, so does a second T.O. team (its a no brainer actually, aside from Leaf royalty issues) and Quebec city.

This thread would imply there is a viable deal being worked out.

They don't have the money. If anything, a partial season lockout will minimize the losses for the NHL as they own the team one more season while waiting for QC to become more prepared.

Archived