The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I hope there will be a lockout...

RAMBUTANS

As long as its not a full season (ie we lose a month or so) I agree. Issue is as one poster mentioned, that if we lose a year, we lost a pretty important part of our window, this team really needs to get there again in the next 3 yrs, we're going to be struggling to make the playoffs when Hank and Dan start aging, or certainly won't be a favorite, unless of course we find some gem in the draft or make a steal in a trade.

So a full yr would be bad.

A lockout doesn't have to be an entire season, mpt. It could well be much shorter, although there is certainly no guarantee of this. What it does is it puts pressure on both sides to bargain collectively.

I'm not sure how a lockout would be terrible for the game. In my eyes, it would be good because it forces both sides to deal with issues that are hurting the game now like huge contracts, revenue sharing and cap floor.

:towel::canucks:

We have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup next year than we do of getting the first overall pick. I can't believe you would sacrifice a whole year just so we could draft a player, who may not even be turn out to be good. Not only do we lose a critical chance at the Cup (our team isn't getting any younger), we also lose a year of watching hockey. Even if we lost the Cup, I would still rather have at least a partial season of hockey, than have a full season lockout and get the 1st overall pick. The game of hockey is more important than a draft pick.

Issue I have with your comment is this.

Owners save money during a lock out, teams make their profits in the playoffs and maybe eek out a small one during the season if they are lucky.

That being said, its the owners who are stupid enough to pay the huge salaries, give the 100 mill / 13 yr deals.

The lockout/cba issues are really just owners ganging up on the few free spenders and trying to handcuff them, its not about the players.

If the owners, tell other owners to settle down, keep salaries in check, well its collusion and illegal, so the only way to do it is to codify it in the collective bargaining agreement.

This is why I am supportive of the players, and the season starting. This issue is an OWNER issue and they need to put in mechanisms to stop the skirting of the essence/purpose of the cap.

If I am a player and someone offers me 100 mil of course I will take it. No owner had a gun to his head telling him to offer that amount of money, he made a choice. The issue is, the purpose of the cap was to say, ok you're going to pay one player a ridiculous amount of money, ok well the rest of your team will suck, so make your choice. The problem is, with these stupid long contracts, that doesn't happen.

Play the game and fix your own house is my suggestion to the owners.

I would also like to see a contraction of 2 teams, Florida and Phoenix. 2 even Conferences with 14 teams each (after Wings move East). Play each team in your conference 4 times and each team in the other twice. Top 8 from each side make the playoffs.

:towel::canucks:

My point was that I don't see why we need a to lockout fixe the issues you mentioned (didn't elaborate enough), not suggesting you said we need a lockout but you did suggest it would cause some urgency to the negotiations (which yes it would). But have heard that alot in the media etc and my point is its unecessary, urgency is not needed, owners need to get their heads out of their butts since it's their issue.

i want the system fixed properly, not just for a few years but permanently. if the owners are really serious about continuing the growth of hockey, they will play on until a new cba is reached....a lock out will not solve the problems...that's just one side flexing their muscles....

Archived