The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Backup Goaltender Options

Peaches

Canucks Backup  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just think it would be great to see Hasek between the pipes once again. But I don't think he has what it takes anymore . Perhaps Chicago Wolves which I doubt he would want. NHL or go home is his mentality I think.

Dan Ellis has said he wants the job, and which he has proven he is capable . He is my vote for the back-up basically because he wants to be here.

Jose Theodore would be ideal if he comes back in the Luongo deal. He's definetly goalie that could handle 20+ (and even playoff games if needed) which can keep Schnieder fresh to play 50+ games and a long Playoff run.

Hasek is a bit (understatement) unorthodox for a a mentor role. Not a fan of Theodore due to contract price.

I would like to see Lack, as much as there is some risk... But no complaints if we see Dan Ellis or Huet at the right price!

At this stage of lockout expectations, if the cap is rolled back more than current player salaries, ELC's will be a major factor as to who wins. So while we have an extremely promising prospect, Lack, it's the smart money!

And FTR, I have always been supportive of challenging rookies. Not only challenging them, but playing them with key guys (see Sedin's if you were a wing) so they have an honest crack at success. Look at Henrique's results, which he would never have had centering a 4th line.

Also FTR, Detroit does not "develop" most of their rookies. Guys like Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Federov, Yzerman, Holmstrom etc always were sink or swim. They were thrown right in the fire and held up. Most of Detroits draft picks end up on other teams if they don't excel in this manner.

Dont see Ellis being signed, but Hasek man that would be so weird to see dan murrphy interview him in between periods or have the home crowd chant his name. Luongo sounded pretty serious about moving on cant see him eating his pride and excepting a demotion.Lack should start the year, and if he struggles look for help to come through waivers if lou hasn been traded.Hasek would be a really entertaining side story to start the year though.

I'm guessing Theodore. From what I've heard, Luongo still wants to go to Florida and if/when Gillis finally pulls the trigger on that, Tallon is going to want to be sending a goalie back the other way.

@HockeyyInsiderr: BREAKING NEWS: The #Canucks continue to be silently shopping for a goalie. They have contacted Roloson's agent. #CONFIRMED by 2 sources.

@HockeyyInsiderr: Reminder: The #Canucks have already contacted #Habs re Budaj availability. Sure looks like Luongo will be on the move before puck drops.

Who do you think will be the Canucks backup goaltender next season?

Here are some:

Dominik Hasek: Veteran who could mentor Schneider. Not sure he can still play well though.

Eddie Lack: NHL (or at least almost) ready prospect, but having 2 unproven goalies might not be the best idea.

Dan Ellis: has expressed interest in joining the canucks and could mentor Schneider. Ellis is my pick

Roberto Luongo: Could very well not be traded

Those are just some, there are plenty more.

Thoughts?

@HockeyyInsiderr: BREAKING NEWS: The #Canucks continue to be silently shopping for a goalie. They have contacted Roloson's agent. #CONFIRMED by 2 sources.

@HockeyyInsiderr: Reminder: The #Canucks have already contacted #Habs re Budaj availability. Sure looks like Luongo will be on the move before puck drops.

Archived