The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) 5 reasons Luongo should stay in Vancouver..... for now

Red-Haired_Shanks

Re: Letting go.

Not sure,noheart.I see Luo on the front page of CDC and he is still listed on the team's roster.

Luongo let go immediately -like before,during and especially after game 5 vs. LA.

The Canucks players may be confused as Luo has not been traded.They are unsure of letting go just yet,naturally.

AV clarified Luo's stance when interviewed in Montreal,so AV has let go.

The only member of the Canucks that is wishy washy and cannot let go is Gillis.

He seemed able to let go after initial denials but now seems more in the letting go denial camp yet again.

Surely,we need a GM that is willing to 'let go' before the rest of us can move on.

Who's arse did you pull that number out of? Schneider's caphit is 4.00 million, Luongo's is 5.33 million. Altogether that's 9.33 million. That would be, nearly 10 million, or a little over 9 million, or even better, almost 9.5 million. Stop trying to make it look worse than it is. It's like saying Rogers Arena can hold almost 25 thousand people for Canuck games.

I agree Lu has lost his swagger and his back is against the wall with this team. If the season opens I hope he makes a statement by coming out swinging. We should see where his heart lies by taking the #1 spot and holding on for dear life.

#2 and #4 are the main reasons why he should stay.

2) We have no idea what Schneidz is like as a 40+ game starter, for all we know he might be average at best (i doubt it, think he will be around a .915 save percentage guy).

4) Right now i find it funny a top ten goalie for a 2nd liner as a fair trade. If we keep Lu until December (roughly when the leafs start to fall) we can get a much higher return, because some Gm's will panic.

Aside from the Jennings which he split with Schneider, Luongo hasn't won anything at the NHL level. As for all of his Canuck records, technically Schneider has him beat in Sv% twice and GAA once. In addition to that, it wouldn't be too difficult for any goaltender in this day and age to beat the Canucks goalie records of years past.

I agree Lu has lost his swagger and his back is against the wall with this team. If the season opens I hope he makes a statement by coming out swinging. We should see where his heart lies by taking the #1 spot and holding on for dear life.

The big difference though is that Lu has done it. He has proved he can carry a team for a whole season.(season after season) He shone in this team LONG before it was anywhere near the team it is now.

I don't think we would be even having this conversation if the Canucks had done what they needed to do, as early as 3 seasons ago............and it was so obvious...........gone out and signed a big dominating D.

We didn't and what's more we STILL HAVEN'T and if Shneider is left to take the Luongo role, I fear he will come out of it a lot worse than Lu ever did.................and I like Schneider.

Luongo singlehandedly carried our team in 2007 and that is it. He never carried the Panthers anywhere and he hasn't carried this team since his first season here. We missed the playoffs in 2008 and then the Gillis era began and we became good enough that we didn't need a goalie to win every game for us.

Schneider will be taking on the Luongo role and there is no good reason to believe he wont excel at it. Luongo served this team very well here for 6 regular seasons and again here and there in the playoffs. As long as Cory plays well enough during the regular season and doesn't lose numerous playoff games in embarassing fashion for 3 straight years, he will come out of it unscathed, I'm sure of it.

Aside from the Jennings which he split with Schneider, Luongo hasn't won anything at the NHL level. As for all of his Canuck records, technically Schneider has him beat in Sv% twice and GAA once. In addition to that, it wouldn't be too difficult for any goaltender in this day and age to beat the Canucks goalie records of years past.

Someone else who has a one-eyed view............forgetting the playoff games he carried us (the first two against Boston for a start) He also carried us to 2 PT seasons...............He's such an easy target for the non thinkers, the sheep and the playstation jockeys.

Archived