The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The design of Doans new contract

Well, I was just sitting reading all the opinions on what Doan will sign for and starting wondering exactly how the contract will be designed. My Example is...........will it be a bonus + years or will it be strickly years......to be more clear, here are my examples.

#1................ 4 year contract at 7.5 per year = 30 million

#2................yr. 1=9 million, yr 2=8 million, 3 yr= 7 million, 4 yr= 6 million = 30 million

#3................10 million signing bonus + 4 yrs at 5 million per year = 30 million

Don't get caught up in the numbers so much, just the structure of the contract. I personally think that #3 will be the type of contract offered, as now with the new NHL contract being negociated as we speak and the real possibity of a strike, Doan would be more apt to sign one that guarantees money in the first year.

My understanding is that signing bonuses are calculated differently when applied to a new contract. So, please correct any assumption mistakes and add to the discussion. Like I say, don't worry about the money so much, but the structure.

My understanding is that signing bonuses are calculated differently when applied to a new contract. So, please correct any assumption mistakes and add to the discussion. Like I say, don't worry about the money so much, but the structure.

Look guys I know you are hung up on the $ (Dollars), but that is not the question. The question is ...." Is there any advantage in the way his contract is structured.......what are advantages to a front end bonus to entice him etc......We all talk about trading Lou, Ballard, Raymond, and getting what in return, but free agents cost only money. Not draft picks, prospects or roster players.......It doesn't matter what the cost is, or if there is a strike or Lock out....the question is would he be more likely to sign, if some of the money was guaranteed. Doan is a top 2 line player, that competes every game....that is something everyteam wants, and at no asset costs, other than money......and how we give it to him

The cap hit is the same either way, but a bonus would be paid still in the event of a lockout where salary is only paid depending on how many games in the season are played. Also, if it's front loaded, there's less incentive for the player to play versus retire in the final years with much lower salary, but that only applies to non-35+ contracts. Doan's contract would be a 35+ deal so there is no incentive for it to be front loaded for the teams.

EDIT: to clarify, here's an example of what I think will happen (not predicting actual value, just structure):

Yr1 - 80% signing bonus, 20% salary

Yr2/3/4 - 100% salary

The value of each year would match the cap hit, since he'd be paid each year whether he played or retired.

Archived