The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Norwegian nutter Breivik "not insane" and scentenced to a maximum of 21 years in prison

topbananas

No wonder he wanted to be found to be sane

http://news.sky.com/...ed-for-21-years

Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik smirked in court as he was jailed for 21 years after a judge ruled he was "not insane".

Breivik has been declared sane and sentenced to prison for bomb and gun attacks that killed 77 people last year.

Reading the ruling, Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen handed down a sentence of "preventive detention" of at least 10 years and a maximum of 21 years.

This is the maximum sentence allowed under Norwegian law but such sentences can be extended as long as an inmate is considered too dangerous to be released.

Breivik, who wore a dark suit in court, looked pleased as the judge read the ruling. As he walked into the courtroom he raised a clenched-fist salute.

Some who lost loved ones in the attacks welcomed the ruling.

"Now we won't hear about him for quite a while. Now we can have peace and quiet," Per Balch Soerensen, whose daughter was among those killed in the shooting massacre, told Denmark's TV2.

"He doesn't mean anything to me, he is just air."

Bjorn Kasper Ilaug, who rescued 24 youngsters from the island of Utoya, told Sky News he was relieved by the verdict.

"I hoped for this. It means we can move forward and justice is done. I hope the Norwegian authorities do not appeal this verdict."

Lawyers for the 33-year-old right-wing extremist said before the decision that Breivik would appeal any insanity ruling but accept a prison sentence.

Sky News reporter Trygve Sorvaag, who was outside the court, said Breivik "got exactly what he wanted" and there was no doubt that he would be happy with the verdict.

He added that the people of Norway are pleased with the verdict, which has strengthened their belief in the justice system. Tweets expressed how Norwegians could now move on after the harrowing massacre.

The 33-year-old admits detonating a bomb outside the office of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, killing eight people, and then driving to the island of Utoya where he shot dead 69 people at a Labour party summer camp.

As well as those who died, 242 were injured. The youngest victim was just 14 years old.

Breivik admits carrying out the attacks but says he was well aware of his actions, describing them as "cultural self-defence" to halt the "Islamisation" of Norway.

His lawyers say Breivik is already at work writing sequels to the 1,500-page manifesto he released on the internet before the attacks.

Yes, but if you were a victim or family member of one, you wouldn't want him to have even the most faintest of hopes he'd ever get out of his mini ivory tower. We can agree that's it's extremely unlikely (1 in a trillion?), but having a life sentence for every victim nails that shut completely.

From the article...

"This is the maximum sentence allowed under Norwegian law but such sentences can be extended as long as an inmate is considered too dangerous to be released"

It may seem lenient but what could they do given the current criminal justice system that Norway employs.

I'm very skeptical that 21 years of imprisonment or rehabilitation will be sufficient for this guy.

'Life' would have been preferable, imo..and I hope that he gets extended custody in future determinations of his 'dangerousness'.....though I'm sure he's saavy enough to make others believe that he's no longer dangerous.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did something similar after being released.

Archived