The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

buying 2009 lancer gts

Pouria

I have been looking to buy a 2009 lancer gts and wanted to know if it is a good, reliable car. I like the look of it and it has decent power with 2.4L engine churning out 168hp and 167lb.-ft. of torque. Looked into a dealership car which was selling this model for $11200 because it was rebuilt (the back is rebuilt, no damage on the front). I bargained hard with the dealership guy and made the final price to be $10250 and still got him to throw in a one year warranty. So now I want some opinion as to how reliable this car is and if am getting a decent deal with that final price?

How many km are on it already? And is the dealer reputable or kinda shady?

I'd want to get it checked out by an outside mechanic that I trust ... An extra 100-150$ but well worth.

All that aside, it does sound like a good deal to me.

Did you check the reports or get the car inspected for any problems, rebuilds can often be lemons due to shoddy rebuild quality.

Otherwise great price on the car if the KM is under 50,000kms. I'd love to get a Lancer, its a lot better than one of those dumb Corolla's or Civic's. Plus its a beautiful looking car and the GTS is the closest you can get to an EVO X. Its a car I would definitely do thingss too.

2008MitsubishiLancerGTS02.jpg

I'd want to get it checked out by an outside mechanic that I trust ... An extra 100-150$ but well worth.

I have a 2003 galant 2.4l puts out 140hp all yours for $5000. :)

But the lancer for 10000 is a good deal. So no damage to the front? I would definitely get it checked out coz rebuilt is red flags everywhere even if he says it wa just the back. and yeah Kms?

Did you check the reports or get the car inspected for any problems, rebuilds can often be lemons due to shoddy rebuild quality.

Otherwise great price on the car if the KM is under 50,000kms. I'd love to get a Lancer, its a lot better than one of those dumb Corolla's or Civic's. Plus its a beautiful looking car and the GTS is the closest you can get to an EVO X. Its a car I would definitely do thingss too.

2008MitsubishiLancerGTS02.jpg

They are legally required to have ICBC inspection papers, but its true, never hurts too get your car inspected if you think you're gonna buy it.

I did the same too mine but I bought mine privately and found out a lot.

If the vehicle is a rebuild it means it suffered extensive damages that would cost more to repair than the replacement cost. Dont walk away from the car, run.

If you do buy the car imagine yourself trying to resell it with a rebuild tag once you find out what a piece of crap it is.

If this thing has a rebuilt title stay the #!$~ away from it. I'm assuming this is one of those shaddy dealers. You're smarter than this man.

For what it's worth I was in the auto industry for 2 years and I do my own work on my truck. Rebuilt title is essentially worthless, what you're buying is an engine with a banged up frame that will certainly leak with Vancouver weather. The dealers that sell these cars are a mechanic's dream, because we will be seeing you every 3 months when the chassis wobbles and your steering column veers to one side.

A rebuilt title essentially means the damage was significant enough that the owner didn't think it economical to have the repairs done on it. ICBC then takes the car for the value of the claim and resells it at auction wherein shady dealerships can purchase these cars and have their mechanics rebuild them for a fraction of the cost. In other words this wasn't worth repairing to the original owner, why should it be to you?

I worked in the auto industry (specifically auto wrecking) as a mechanic since 97. When it comes to rebuilds I have seen it all. Air bags stuffed with paper, missing parts and fasteners. Combined with that, cars today utilise a number of crumple zones that absorb the energy of the impact in a crash to protect the passengers. A crumple zone on the front of a car can be damaged even if it is hit in the back. Trust me when I tell u stay away, stay far away.

I don't know what the big fuss about the rebuilts is. My father in law and brother in law both work in auto industry for many years and all they drive are rebuilds. We have also driven three rebuilds in the last 7 years with no issues aside from regular maintenance. As long as there is no engine damage and undercarriage damage I don't see what the big deal is. The OP also has a mechanic whom I assume he trusts who says it all checks out. I'm not saying there aren't bad rebuild jobs but if the guy wants to drive it for 6-7 years I say go for it.

Rebuilds are a bitch to sell, expect to take a huge loss when reselling it. I bought a rebuilt RSX 2 years ago, only because I really wanted one and a rebuilt one was the only one in my price range. It runs awesome, been in love with it since. All depends how bad you want it. Don't be a fool though. Listen to your gut. (and also a mechanic you trust)

Rebuilds are a bitch to sell, expect to take a huge loss when reselling it. I bought a rebuilt RSX 2 years ago, only because I really wanted one and a rebuilt one was the only one in my price range. It runs awesome, been in love with it since. All depends how bad you want it. Don't be a fool though. Listen to your gut. (and also a mechanic you trust)

Alright my last effort to sway you:

Following the wreck I'd imagine the car went to auction and was purchased for around 4 grand. Add in parts and whatever labour to fix it, the minimum for a rebuild title would have to be 2500. So assuming these two figures, the car has been rebuilt for 6500 and is trying to be sold for 10 grand +. In my mind you're still getting ripped off if you plan to buy it for that much. I can't force you not to buy it but read through the majority of the posters here, and they want to sway you from a bad purchase. Keep in mind we are all complete strangers attempting to convince you that this is a horrible purchase, no gain in it for us. Whereas the dealer who is convincing you to buy it and even talking to his mechanic buddy - they both gain from the sale of the car. Best of luck.

I think people may be comparing apples and oranges here. When ICBC writes a vehicle off it is strictly a numbers game. If the repair costs more than a comparable replacement vehicle then they cut their losses and write it off. So if a vehice isn't worth a lot it doesn't take much damage to reach that threshold. For that matter the damage could be superficial like a scratched paintjob of vandalism of the interior.

The car in question is a 2009 Lancer. I have no idea what one is worth but given the rebuilt value I will assume around 15k. Whatever the value some quick reasearch will tell you that and what the extent of the damage really was. If it was an accident and not vandalism do you really want a car that had 15k worth of damage? When your tires start wearing unevenly and the car begins pulling to one side while driving at an angle down the road you can think of me.

I worked in the auto industry (specifically auto wrecking) as a mechanic since 97. When it comes to rebuilds I have seen it all. Air bags stuffed with paper, missing parts and fasteners. Combined with that, cars today utilise a number of crumple zones that absorb the energy of the impact in a crash to protect the passengers. A crumple zone on the front of a car can be damaged even if it is hit in the back. Trust me when I tell u stay away, stay far away.

Alright my last effort to sway you:

Following the wreck I'd imagine the car went to auction and was purchased for around 4 grand. Add in parts and whatever labour to fix it, the minimum for a rebuild title would have to be 2500. So assuming these two figures, the car has been rebuilt for 6500 and is trying to be sold for 10 grand +. In my mind you're still getting ripped off if you plan to buy it for that much. I can't force you not to buy it but read through the majority of the posters here, and they want to sway you from a bad purchase. Keep in mind we are all complete strangers attempting to convince you that this is a horrible purchase, no gain in it for us. Whereas the dealer who is convincing you to buy it and even talking to his mechanic buddy - they both gain from the sale of the car. Best of luck.

Archived