The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

buying 2009 lancer gts

Pouria

It is clear that you and your "friends" know nothing about rebuild/salvage business as your facts are completely mixed up. This is no longer worth my time.

You want a great vehicle that will last forever get an unwritten-off Corolla. Not so cool huh.

give up people. let him learn on his own. why should anyone really care what he does

It's 10k, that's nothing to really care about anyways. As if you can get anything good at 10k.

Don't even talk about re-sale value. No ones gonna want it when you're done with it. No one buys rebuilds but you want a newer model, so you really have no choice.

The problem with cars is that there is never a correct answer. Every one is bias and has different opinions. If you are happy, that's all that matters.

Stop comparing your situation verse new cars.

Mileage means nothing if it's a POS.

they say that 20,000k per year is average but I think that's on the high side. I think 15,000 is more typical personally.

If you search for a 2009 with less than 100k then I think you'll do better than a rebuild.

If you really think about it, keeping the car for 5-6 years would not really cause a huge difference when I have bought it cheap. You would lose out more if you buy a new car and sell it 5-6 years down the road than a car that might only be 2 years old and rebuilt. Honestly, from the car forums that I've looked into, they all say that a car that has been rebuilt right is a fine car and can be just as reliable as a car that isn't rebuilt. We are talking about a rear end crash, not a front end one and if it passes the BCAA inspection, it should be fine. In fact, I'd rather buy this car than the American cars you keep suggesting that I should buy. Some of the new American cars start to breakdown before you even hit 10K, so I guess that is why the American car companies are still in business even though they've been to hell and back, because of people like you. I only car about the engine, the chassis and the frame of the car, everything else is just extra. If I wanted to buy a car that hasn't seen an accident, and had no scratches or dings or minor problems, I would just buy a new car that is delivered right from the manufacturer.

There is value in buying from a dealership. I've just completed the MVSA certification course and it's surprising the amount of legislation that dealers and salespeople have to work with. Now I sell RV's, not cars, so there isn't any motivation for me to say buy from a dealer rather than private other than knowing what goes into any unit sold at a dealer, new or used.

Look up the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority and check out what protection you have and what avenues of recourse should something go sideways. Lots of people I know will initially think about threatening to report shady business practices to the Better Business Bureau, however when dealing with cars the MVSA has actual teeth to do something. If something is mis-represented it can at least result in the deal being unwound and a full refund given (regardless of how long ago the deal was made, there was a case study where a lady bought a used Jag, and years later trading it in for a new Jag it was discovered that it had a "dec. over 2" (over $2000 accumulated damage) that severly impacted her trade in value. The dealer was unable to prove that they disclosed this information, she got a full refund for her initial purchase as a result) and in more severe cases there can be signifigant fines (10,000 to salespeople, 100,000 to dealers/corporations or more) and even jail time for salespeople or management or both.

Private or dealer, do your homework. Personally I'd stay away from a rebuilt, however it's your money and your choice.

There is value in buying from a dealership. I've just completed the MVSA certification course and it's surprising the amount of legislation that dealers and salespeople have to work with. Now I sell RV's, not cars, so there isn't any motivation for me to say buy from a dealer rather than private other than knowing what goes into any unit sold at a dealer, new or used.

Look up the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority and check out what protection you have and what avenues of recourse should something go sideways. Lots of people I know will initially think about threatening to report shady business practices to the Better Business Bureau, however when dealing with cars the MVSA has actual teeth to do something. If something is mis-represented it can at least result in the deal being unwound and a full refund given (regardless of how long ago the deal was made, there was a case study where a lady bought a used Jag, and years later trading it in for a new Jag it was discovered that it had a "dec. over 2" (over $2000 accumulated damage) that severly impacted her trade in value. The dealer was unable to prove that they disclosed this information, she got a full refund for her initial purchase as a result) and in more severe cases there can be signifigant fines (10,000 to salespeople, 100,000 to dealers/corporations or more) and even jail time for salespeople or management or both.

Private or dealer, do your homework. Personally I'd stay away from a rebuilt, however it's your money and your choice.

Archived