The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Philadelpia Flyers have Inquired about Alexander Edler

UFCanuck

Am I the only one who would consider this seriously?

For a team that is looked to as a contender, Philly's D is in shambles. Timonen is really their only legitimate top-pairing has been great, but he is 37, and if he takes a step back (reasonable to assume that he will), they're really screwed.

Coburn, Meszaros, and Grossmann are all solid 2nd pairing guys, but none of them are at Edler's level - heck, none of them are at Hamhuis and Bieksa's level either. If we could get one of them in return for Edler, in addition to a young stud top-6 forward (Couturier and Schenn are unrealistic, but Voracek, Simmonds, or Read may be doable), we may be in a better position.

I think we'd be a better team with Voracek/Simmonds/Read and Coburn/Meszaros/Grossmann than we are with Edler, simply because we have a wealth of D-men but a lack of depth in scoring forwards. But I think Philly would be a better team with Edler, because they need a top pairing offensive D-man more than they need young forwards.

Our 10-11 team was incredible. You can only change it so much and expect it to get to the same place. Losing Ehrhoff was a huge blow to this team no matter what MG says. I know this guy is probably talking nonsense, but I still have some hope for Edler. If he can bring more consistency, he will kill it in this league. I'm just hoping he can make that extra step and bring it every night for the playoffs.

I think the Canucks would need to hold fast on demanding Couturier with one of those 2nd pairing guys (I doubt they move Schenn after uniting the brothers, and would prefer Couturier regardless.

Those three young blueliners are 4.5, 4 and 3.5 cap hits - if the Canucks were to take a guy like Vorachek in addition, they'd be adding 8 millionish in cap hit - in that case I think the deal has to get more complicated and send more salary to Philly, and bring another prospect/pick this way.

Agreed.

Philly has an OBVIOUS need where we have strength, and they have a plethora of what we need most. It makes a whole lot of sense.

Add to this the fact that Edler is probably looking for big money and a full NTC. I don't think Gillis wants to alter his salary structure, and having your top-4 all have NTC's really handcuffs a team. Switching Edler for someone who makes Bieksa-Hamhuis-Garrison-Ballard money or less, and strenthening our forward corps in the process seems pretty reasonable.

If we could get a top 4 defenseman in return for Luongo, I would definitely consider it. Not that I don't like Edler, because he has shown in spurts his potential as an all round defenseman, but if we can pry Voracek/Schenn/Couturier out of Philadelphia, I would do it. Edler at this point still seems like he has unfulfilled potential because at times we see him being physical, good defensively, displaying his hockey vision, but we rarely see it come together...and to be honest, we could get his 50pts from a defenseman that puts up 40pts elsewhere.

Archived