The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A new direction

With the new CBA in the works and being an unknown. Doan an unknown. Luongo trade still not happening, there are still to many factors to really get a good handle on what the Canuck line up will look like at the start of the season. But I do have an idea on what I would like to see.

My starting line up with Kesler in it, because ultimately he'll be there.

D. Sedin H. Sedin Jensen

Booth kesler Burrows

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Weise Maholtra Kassian

Edler Garrison

Hamhuis Bieska

Tanev Ballard

Alberts

Scneider/Lack/ signing

* This will leave Volpatti, Pinizzotto, Ebbitt and for now Raymond to be inserted into the line up for injuries.

*The insertion of Jensen is because of his quick realease, heavy shot, and looks like a natural goal scorer. I think that is where he fits. Both on and off the PP. In his short stint in the AHL he just got better and better and scored with ease.( Above AHL level)

* Kassian just needs to be in the line up. What I seen of him albeit on TV was his strength and obvious power forward strengths, he has alot more skill and instinct than most of CDC gives him. He could move up the line up, but if AV rolls 4 lines, Weise and Kassian can cause alot of trouble, if they can stay disciplined.

* If Doan comes in Jensen goes back to junior, but I really don't think he's coming. He is trying to stay in Pheniox in the worst way, hense all the delays......he'll move IF they don't get their crap together.

* Luongo and Raymond are still good chips to hold until the trade to come along, and we know more about the new CBA and if Doan signs here. But there are also some wild cards, one of which Edler, as if he wants the world, it may cause MG to consider trading his allstar defenseman at the deadline, but he better get the world back in the form of a top 4 defenseman and prospects/draft picks. Ballard is also in the same light, as if he improves his stock and shows he is a top 4, the trade dead line may be pretty enticing for Gillis

This also depends on the developement of Connauton and whether Yann Sauve is truely an NHL player.

As for our forward prospects, it's pretty thin for now, with Jordan Schroeder, Breden Gaunce,Rodin, Bill Sweat and Alex Mallet being the most ready. ( Reports on Mallet is that he played out of position for his first 3 years of junior and once switched, excelled, The skinny on him is he is closer to NHL ready than people realize.) ( Gaunce was pick most skilled OHL Canadian in last years draft and a steal at #26)

The key will be what Gillis gets for Luongo and Raymond. Something that could include an additional player off the current roster. Maybe a 3rd line centre, which will cause Manny to hit the press box unless he ready has a good training camp and preseason.

More of a summary than anything, but I think it would be interesting to see. Doan coming could really change things

I have high hopes for Kassian this season. I really think he will find his game, and contribute a lot. Jensen will only stick if he impresses at training camp. My guess is that he plays this year in Sweden, but ya never know, he could pull a Henrique and surprise the crap out of everyone.

It wouldn't be good for Kassian's development if he's on the 4th line. How about this?

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Burrows - Schroeder - Higgins

Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

A good injection of youth and Schroeder can be the 2C while Kesler is out.

It wouldn't be good for Kassian's development if he's on the 4th line. How about this?

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Archived