The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

What does a player do to get himself 'waived' out of the faceoff?

Face-off violations shall be summarized as follows (any of the four on-ice officials may identify a face-off violation): (i) Encroachment by any player other than the center into the face-off area prior to the puck being dropped. Players on the perimeter of the face-off circle must keep both skates outside the face-off circle (skate contact with the line is permitted). If a player's skate crosses the line into the face-off circle prior to the drop of the puck, this shall be deemed as a face-off violation. A player's stick may be inside the face-off circle provided there is no physical contact with his opponent or his opponent's stick.

(ii) Encroachment by any player into the area between the hash marks on the outer edges of the face-off circle prior to the puck being dropped. Players must also ensure that both of their skates do not cross their respective hash marks. Contact with the line with their skate is permitted. If a player's skate crosses the line into the area between the hash marks prior to the drop of the puck, this shall be deemed as a face-off violation. A player's stick may be inside the area between the hash marks provided there is no physical contact with his opponent or his opponent's stick.

(iii) Any physical contact with an opponent prior to the puck being dropped.

(iv) Failure by either center taking the face-off to properly position himself behind the restraining lines or place his stick on the ice (as outlined in Rule 76.4). "Properly position himself behind the restraining lines" shall mean that the center must place his feet on either side of the

restraining lines that are parallel to the side boards (contact with the lines is permissible), and the toe of the blade of his skates must not cross over the restraining lines that are perpendicular to the side boards as he approaches the face-off spot. The blade of the stick must then be placed on the ice (at least the toe of the blade of the stick) in the designated white area of the faceoff spot and must remain there until the puck is dropped. Failure to comply with this positioning and face-off procedure will result in a face-off violation.

Whenever a team has committed two face-off violations during the same face-off, the Referee shall immediately assess the offending team a bench minor penalty for delay of game. This penalty shall be announced as a Bench Minor Penalty for Delay of Game – Face-off Violation.” Players who are in an off-side position for the ensuing face-off will be warned once in the game by the Referee. This warning will also be given to the offending team’s Coach. Any subsequent violation shall result in a bench minor penalty for delay of game being assessed to the offending team. This penalty shall be announced as a “Bench Minor Penalty for Delay of Game – Slow Proceeding to Face-off Location.”

Why did the salary cap go down?

Expected fallout from the lockout, and once again the NHL is inconsistent. It kept raising the cap, when the reality is Canadians are the ones responsible for the bulk of the revenues. Hence the logic of desperately trying to keep an NHL team in Phoenix.

Plus, that was what they had the lockout for in the first place. The owners got the players to agree to a reduction in the split of revenue from 57% to 50%.

• Upvote 1

that's gotta be a mistake unless there's some new rule about players turning 40 or something

Does capgeek often make mistakes like this? I would think that would be pretty cheap for a rule like that to be there, but it might be true, I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

If a player keeps rejecting any ELC's offered by the team that drafted them but they're still that team's property, and they aren't in the NCAA, and they're too old to return to their junior team, then what options are their for them to play?

Can they sign a contract to play in the AHL? Can they sign overseas?

I am a true Vancouver Canuck and I have noticed ever since we put up that disrespectful statue after the most successful season in Canuck history, we have gone nowhere in the playoffs. Please spread this message in removing a black eye to the refs which the statue really represents,and choose any number of hockey figures. I won't name any figures simply because thats some one else's decision.

Thank You

GO CANUCKS GO

What's the playoff system for next year like? Has that been decided?

Top 3 teams in each division plus two wild cards(two teams with most points that weren't top 3 in the division) per conference. If both of the wild cards in a conference come from the same division then one of them crosses over into the playoff bracket of the other division.

First two rounds are with in the division, then the two division champions meet in the conference finals, followed by the Stanley Cup final per usual.

Top 3 teams in each division plus two wild cards(two teams with most points that weren't top 3 in the division) per conference. If both of the wild cards in a conference come from the same division then one of them crosses over into the playoff bracket of the other division.

First two rounds are with in the division, then the two division champions meet in the conference finals, followed by the Stanley Cup final per usual.

Thanks. Would that mean the wild card team with the fewer points plays the division winner with the most points?

Thanks. Would that mean the wild card team with the fewer points plays the division winner with the most points?

I think that's how it works but I wasn't sure. That's why I didn't specify in that post, but it makes sense that the lower seeded wild card would play the higher seeded division winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the Offer Sheet compensation rules for this summer (can't find anything since the new CBA)?

Edit: I think it's actually outdated...still looking

Edit 2: Some info is here, though not amounts: http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/2013/06/2013-nhl-cba-10-2-10-4-salary-arbitration-qualifying-offers-offer-sheets-compensation/

Edited by ajhockey

Ive got a question thats been bugging me for too long. Im sure someones got an answer.

Why the heck would luongo sign a contract for 13 years with a team when his wife and kids live on the other end of the world?

Maybe im too much of a family man or something but why be married and have kids if your 4000 miles apart most of the time

Edit: I think it's actually outdated...still looking

Edit 2: Some info is here, though not amounts: http://www.mcsorleys...s-compensation/

Found it:

OFFER COMPENSATION

$1,110,249 or below None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 3rd-round choice

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 2nd-round choice

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 1st-round and 3rd-round choice

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 1st-round, 2nd-round and 3rd-round choice

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two 1st-round choices, one 2nd- and one 3rd-round choice

Over $8,410,976 Four first-round choices

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676637#&navid=nhl-search