The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

Top 3 teams in each division plus two wild cards(two teams with most points that weren't top 3 in the division) per conference. If both of the wild cards in a conference come from the same division then one of them crosses over into the playoff bracket of the other division.

First two rounds are with in the division, then the two division champions meet in the conference finals, followed by the Stanley Cup final per usual.

So if both wildcards are from the same division and one crosses over, but the one that crossed over has more points than the 3rd seed in that division, would the wild card be 3rd or would it be 4th just because it's a wildcard?

Why is Chara's cap hit about 6.9M every year then suddenly drops to 4m in 2017-18?

that's gotta be a mistake unless there's some new rule about players turning 40 or something

It's because of the Kovalchuk Rule

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-Ilya-Kovalchuk-rule

Any long-term contract — five years or more — that extends beyond the age of 40 (as of June 30 prior to the season in question) will have its traditional cap hit adjusted.

For years of the contract up to and including the age of 40, the cap hit is calculated by dividing the total salary for those years by the number of years up to and including the 40-year-old season. For years of the contract ages 41 and beyond, the cap hit in each year is equal to the actual salary paid for that season.

Example: Zdeno Chara signed a seven-year, $45.5-million deal starting in 2011 (age 34) and running through 2018 (age 41). Because he earns a $4 million salary at age 41, his 2017-18 cap hit is $4 million. For all other seasons, his cap hit is $6,916,667, with his $41.5 million in remaining salary divided over six years.

So if both wildcards are from the same division and one crosses over, but the one that crossed over has more points than the 3rd seed in that division, would the wild card be 3rd or would it be 4th just because it's a wildcard?

I think they'd be fourth because they're the wildcard.

Will the Canucks ever get a superstar player, such as Crosby, Stamkos or Ovechkin.

We got Booth move along. In all seriousness the I brand the Sedins in the superstar category. Art ross and hart trophies speak for themselves. The may not be flashy but consistant as far as regular season goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain what it means for a player to QB a powerplay? Is it always a defenceman? What does that look like? Thanks!

The idea of a player Quater-backing a powerplay ususally refers to a defenseman with a big shot and good passing skills along the blue line. They sort of control the power play, choosing to let a big shot go, or to pass it, a little like a football QB. They usually roam the blue line.

It's not always a defenseman, but almost always. Most of the time it's an offensive defenseman, often with a bit shot, ie. Shea Weber, Zdeno Chara, etc. Occasionally some forwards might play the role of a QB on the powerplay, but it doesn't happen as often.

Edler is about the closest we have to a powerplay QB.

• Upvote 1

Hey I have a question. For the format of the playoffs next year I read that the top 3 from each division will make the playoffs and then the next two best qualify making it 8 teams from each conference to make it. That much is clear.

However is there still a 1 through 8 standings so 1 would play 8 and then 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5 or is there a change for next year due to the divisional changes? Could the Canucks theoretically play a team from the central division in the first round next year?

Nope. From my understanding, they're going back to the old divisional methods, so we'll only play our some of our 7 division opponents in the first two rounds, I think.

So if the Pacific Division finishes:

1 Vancouver

2 cal

3 phx

4 la

5 sj

6 em

7 anh

And the other division ends in:

1 col

2 stl

3 mn

4 nas

5 dal

6 wpig

7 chi

If that unfolds then Canucks would play la? And cal and phx would play? And after the Canucks beat the winner of cal and phx, would they then play the winner of the other division?

We wouldn't necessarily play LA. The first three teams in each division are secured a spot. After that, it's the best two out of both divisions.

EDIT: I think. I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by ajhockey

Riiight okay, but the two seed would play the three seed in the pacific division, right? And the best team from the entire conference would play whoever happens to be 8th? And the other division leader would play the 7th seed?

The two seed and three seed play each other, of that I'm quite sure.

Of the rest, I'm not as sure, but that could be. Look it up to find out.

Can someone explain what it means for a player to QB a powerplay? Is it always a defenceman? What does that look like? Thanks!

The idea of a player Quater-backing a powerplay ususally refers to a defenseman with a big shot and good passing skills along the blue line. They sort of control the power play, choosing to let a big shot go, or to pass it, a little like a football QB. They usually roam the blue line.

It's not always a defenseman, but almost always. Most of the time it's an offensive defenseman, often with a bit shot, ie. Shea Weber, Zdeno Chara, etc. Occasionally some forwards might play the role of a QB on the powerplay, but it doesn't happen as often.

Edler is about the closest we have to a powerplay QB.

I wouldn't say Chara and Weber are the best examples of a PP QB, but your explanation is correct.

Best modern example is Lidstrom. His decision-making, IQ, shooting, passing and ability to walk the blue-line (skate across it laterally) were all at an elite level.

Question: Who was the last team to have their Coach and GM as the same person?

Doug MacLean did it for the second half the 02/03 season and first half of the 03/04 season for Columbus.

Bryan Murray did it for the last 18 games in the 07/08 season for Ottawa.

Those are the two recent examples off the top of my head.

So if the Pacific Division finishes:

1 Vancouver

2 cal

3 phx

4 la

5 sj

6 em

7 anh

And the other division ends in:

1 col

2 stl

3 mn

4 nas

5 dal

6 wpig

7 chi

If that unfolds then Canucks would play la? And cal and phx would play? And after the Canucks beat the winner of cal and phx, would they then play the winner of the other division?

Here's how it works:

Assume these are the 8 playoff teams at the end of the season:

1. Chicago - C

2. San Jose - P

3. Vancouver - P

4. St. Louis - C

5. Los Angeles - P

6. Minnesota - C

7. Winnipeg - C

8. Dallas - C

Three teams from each of the two divisions make it (which equals 6) and the remaining two can be one from each division or two from the same one, possibly resulting in 5 playoff teams from one division and 3 from the other. Either way, the bottom 2 teams get reseeded. Here's how the 1st round would look like:

Central Division

[1] Chicago vs. [4] Dallas

[2] St. Louis vs. [3] Minnesota

Pacific Division

[1] San Jose vs. [4] Winnipeg*

[2] Vancouver vs. [3] Los Angeles

*Notes:

- Although Winnipeg is a Central team, they will be re-seeded into the Pacific divisional playoffs because they are the 1st wild card team. 1st will always play 8th and 2nd will always play 7th regardless of division.

- VAN/LAK and STL/MIN because the #2 and #3 in each division play each other no matter what.

- The 2nd round stays divisional based on the re-seedings for the 1st round. Then the respective division winners will face-off in the 3rd round/conference finals.

Edited by kanucks25

Can an NHL team play 3 games in 3 nights?

I've never heard of it happening but your question reminded me of something I've wondered about lately so I went and looked it up.

The '88-'89 season was last time all teams had to play back to back games in the playoffs. They didn't have them by that point but the old 1st round 5 game series would be played in 7 days. 7 game series just had 2 extra games with a day off before each of them