The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's now legal to kick the puck in the net in the Swedish Elite League

Should the NHL allow pucks to be kicked into the net?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't think this has been posted yet.

@linushugosson

Swedish Elite League has decided to allow goals via skates, even with kicking motion, as long as the skate stays on the ice.

What do you guys think? Should the NHL allow pucks to be kicked into the net too?

Pros and Cons from "The Score":

Pro:

Increased offense: getting the puck in the net with your boot still takes skill, and in a game where we’re always looking to increase the amount of offense, it makes no sense to rule out any type of goal that takes talent.

Con:

The debate simply shifts from “was that a distinct kicking motion?” to “was his blade on the ice the whole time?” We’re going to need ice-level cameras to enforce this one.

Pro:

It opens up a new level of creativity – whether that means incorporating breakaway moves that finish with a kick, or letting a pass get by your stick on purpose only to re-direct it in with your blade, guys have another option now.

Con:

Scrambles in front of the net just got a whole lot less fun for goaltenders trying to cover pucks. The old adage from coaches is that defensemen should “get sticks up” when pucks are loose in front. Suddenly, there’s going to be tied up players trying to go Pele in front on anything near the crease. (Incidentally, the job of d-men just got more difficult.) Who wants their hand stepped on, goalers!?

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/09/04/its-now-legal-to-kick-the-puck-in-the-net-in-the-swedish-elite-league-pros-and-cons/#more-64042

Let's face it, a lot of kicked-in goals have been allowed already. Might as well make it official and take the pressure off the refs.

Remember, the skate can't leave the ice. It's not like there's an added danger factor. And it's not like a lot of momentum can be created by kicking the puck with your skate still on the ice anyway. All we're talking about is eliminating the grey area of skate-deflected goals.

Let's face it, a lot of kicked-in goals have been allowed already. Might as well make it official and take the pressure off the refs.

Remember, the skate can't leave the ice. It's not like there's an added danger factor. And it's not like a lot of momentum can be created by kicking the puck with your skate still on the ice anyway. All we're talking about is eliminating the grey area of skate-deflected goals.

You could argue that it takes talent to throw the puck in the net. Should that be allowed too?

I don't like it. I don't even like the way it is in the NHL right now either. The puck should be shot in the net from the blade of the stick (except in the case of deflections).

I have no problem when players deflect the puck with their skate.

However, I dont think I like the idea of players kicking their feet around when wearing shoes equipped with knives.

Plus if players are trying to move their feet more to kick, they may lose balance more often and fall.

That would make no sense at all. The game is played with the puck on the ice. As there is confusion as to this "kicking motion" rule, this would pretty much eliminate that.

However, it could end up getting dangerous with players' blades flying around in the paint.

I'm all for puck kicking, if only to see the guys who's sticks get knocked out of their hands go in for a soccer goal. That would require a level of skill!

Puck kicking would force defenders to actually move bodies out from in front of their net, instead of just tying up the stick. In my mind it would be a more physical brand of hockey.

Silly idea. This isn't soccer. You should never be able to KICK the puck in the net. That's ridiculous. I can just see it now, a mad scramble in front of the net, a defenseman is lying on the ice in front trying to block or cover up the puck, and some forward who has his stick tied up kicks at the puck and slams his blade into the defenseman's face, or worse, his neck, and severs an artery.

I have no problem with a simple deflection by angling your skate in a different direction, but kicking should definitely not be allowed. Bad move by the SEL.

Silly idea. This isn't soccer. You should never be able to KICK the puck in the net. That's ridiculous. I can just see it now, a mad scramble in front of the net, a defenseman is lying on the ice in front trying to block or cover up the puck, and some forward who has his stick tied up kicks at the puck and slams his blade into the defenseman's face, or worse, his neck, and severs an artery.

I have no problem with a simple deflection by angling your skate in a different direction, but kicking should definitely not be allowed. Bad move by the SEL.

Archived