The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amazon New Kindle Fire to Cost $499.

DonLever

Guest BuckFoston

Call me old fashioned, but I like to have a book shelf I can approach, browse, pick out a book, flip the pages, enjoy the smell. I shudder to think when I have children to be reading to them in bed from a Kindle or whatever. Hell no, never.

And if books is all you use it for, you can buy some of the nicest used books for like a dollar. I don't see the point of this investment unless you do a lot of other stuff on it besides reading.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to have a book shelf I can approach, browse, pick out a book, flip the pages, enjoy the smell. I shudder to think when I have children to be reading to them in bed from a Kindle or whatever. Hell no, never.

And if books is all you use it for, you can buy some of the nicest used books for like a dollar. I don't see the point of this investment unless you do a lot of other stuff on it besides reading.

There's a lot to be said for convenience.

With my kindle, which I spent $100 on, I can purchase and start reading any book I want within one minute. I still find physical copies on occasion, but I've found I read more when I have easier access to books.

It's also much easier to carry when travelling any length of distance.

Keep in mind the younger generations are tech-centric - tablets like these may be the only reason they still read books.

$499 is the price for the top of the line 8.9" model that has LTE.

The equivialent to last years 7" $199 model is actually only $159 this go around.  

It has processing power substantially higher than either the new Nexus 7 and the ipad 2.  Also the resolution I believe is 1920x1200.

Given the specs, these prices are actually very good.

I have an Acer A500 10.1" tab. Paid $150 new on boxing day for it last christmas. Does everything I want it too. Itll browse the web. I have Kindle on it to get books. Its great in airports and on planes for watching movies.

I dont get paying 500, 600, 700 for a tab. Seems crazy to me but Apple buyers do lots of crazy things it seems. Kindle offering them some direct competition can only help to try to reign in Apples price points.

I have a laptop as well, try being a person who travels a lot, especially on planes, and fitting laptops in that little amount of space. That's where you will see how a tablet fits in because of it being far more easily portable than a laptop.

In my case I settled with a Samsung Note while technically a 5.3 inch phone is a tablet to me (I bought the $720 phone for $150 and paid a minimal cancellation fee, spending hours convincing Bell to move me over to $20 pure tablet plan) and has typical 7 and 10-inch tablet specs with a built in GLONASS GPS-type chip for data roaming avoiding satellite navigation, and also fits in my pockets. My wife has a 7.7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, too big for my tastes.

The practical reasons to have one outweigh the impractical, and while it's a subjective choice, and I don't cast judgement upon those who don't get one, it's clear you have a neo-luddist attitude toward tablets.

And if books is all you use it for, you can buy some of the nicest used books for like a dollar. I don't see the point of this investldment unless you do a lot of other stuff on it besides reading.

Archived