The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amazon New Kindle Fire to Cost $499.

DonLever

I have a laptop as well, try being a person who travels a lot, especially on planes, and fitting laptops in that little amount of space. That's where you will see how a tablet fits in because of it being far more easily portable than a laptop.

In my case I settled with a Samsung Note while technically a 5.3 inch phone is a tablet to me (I bought the $720 phone for $150 and paid a minimal cancellation fee, spending hours convincing Bell to move me over to $20 pure tablet plan) and has typical 7 and 10-inch tablet specs with a built in GLONASS GPS-type chip for data roaming avoiding satellite navigation, and also fits in my pockets. My wife has a 7.7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, too big for my tastes.

The practical reasons to have one outweigh the impractical, and while it's a subjective choice, and I don't cast judgement upon those who don't get one, it's clear you have a neo-luddist attitude toward tablets.

Yeah, that's right. I think they're kind of stupid. Aside from traveling on a plane as you mentioned, where else are you going to use them where you can't use your cellphone, laptop or desktop pc? It's just another fad getting people to spend hundreds of dollars on something most of them really don't need.

If you read the article, it says that it is equipped with LTE for use on the ATT network. That explains why the price tag is so high. And then there is another 600 a year on a data plan from ATT.

All that said, I love my Kindle Fire. It is just plain awesome. As a parent, it has been the best two hundred dollars I have ever spent.

Archived