The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-NJ

To VAN:

Dainius Zubrus

To NJ:

Mason Raymond

3rd Round Pick

First off, couple reasons why NJ might do this. It's been well documented that they're a cash-strapped team, so shedding a bit of salary, even if it's only $1.1M, would be beneficial to them. Zubrus also only has one year left on his deal and with Zajac and Henrique down the middle probably won't be retained once he hits free agency next year anyways. NJ could use another winger, and an added draft pick is more incentive as well.

Vancouver gets a big strong centre who can fill that 3rd line spot. Could also play 2nd line if the season starts before Kesler's back. His point totals were inflated last year due to Zajac's injury, but he'd still be good for 30 or so points. Only one year left on his deal so might be worth the gamble.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian/Hansen

Higgins-Zubrus-Hansen/Kassian

Malhotra-Lapierre-Pinizotto

Keep in mind we'd still have Luongo to move so we'd likely add another winger in there as well.

Thoughts?

Edit: Could also work as a deadline deal if NJ's out of it by then.

I don't like Raymond, but I would not do this deal.

Zubrus is 34 while Raymond is still young.

Both are good at the certain things they do. Raymond and Zubrus both are good on the PK, but Raymond provides more offense and is fast.

Yes Raymond falls, but I believe Raymond has a edge on Zubrus. Not to mention giving up a third in this draft.

Archived