The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burning Man 2012

Guest BuckFoston

Guest BuckFoston

So what... You guys get together in weird outfits and set each other on fire? That first pic looks like a scene out of a Dr Seuss book.

It is basically an art show in the Nevada desert that lasts for a week. You don't have to do for a week, but they don't really let you go for a day either, because it's an experiment in survival and community. You can drive to it, but can't use cars there, only bikes and walking. You have to bring your own water, food, and shelter. They only provide you with ice and coffee. Nothing works there, so you are cut off from civilization the whole time and bond with the rest of the folk. Ya there are a lot of hippies, but it has become so popular that anyone goes. It was definitely really trippy and you do feel like you are in a different world or a fairy tale.

On the last day the burn the giant wooden man, but that reminded me of a scene from a horrible Nick Cage movie The Wicker Man and I did not enjoy it.

I was there in 2007 and 2008. It was awesome. Like others said, drug use was common, but never the main point of the festival, like many others. Art installations are created and burned at the end of the festival if the creator wants. It is an experiment,a damn good one too. however its popularity has watered it down and has even become a tourist destination in Towns like Reno. That's why they stopped selling tix at the gate. Its worth the drive down, I hope to go back eventually

Archived