The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada kicks our ASS

Buddhas Hand

Canada beats Australia in Paralympic Games wheelchair rugby final

• by: Glen Foreman in London

• September 09, 2012 8:15AM

251034-ryley-batt.jpg

Australia's Ryley Batt in action during the wheelchair rugby semi-final against Japan at the Paralympic Games. Australia won the match. . Picture: Justin Setterfield Source: Getty Images

THE Rollers have failed to defend their Paralympic wheelchair basketball crown, sinking to Canada by six points in the gold medal game at North Greenwich Arena.

Canada was a one-man band, with Patrick Anderson scoring 34 points of its total and the next most potent player for the Canucks, Richard Peter, as far behind as 10 points for the match.

Without Anderson, the Canadians would have had nothing. With him, they had gold.

The game was even throughout, with Australia carrying slender margins at both breaks to halftime.

The Rollers began to struggle under the weight of poor shooting per centage and Canada clawed its way on top.

Canada put in a strong third period to gain a four-point lead at the last break, but Australia continued to hound in the paint, dominating rebounds through Justin Eveson, Shaun Norris and Brad Ness.

The Rollers lifted their clip from the field to claw back to level pegging midway through the final term, but Canada was relentless.

Norris (19) and Eveson (16) combined to do damage, but it was the same problems that dogged the Aussies early on, with their 41 per cent clip not standing up to Canada's 51 per cent in the final minutes.

Canada capitalised and pushed out 58-64 winners.

At the track, Evan O'Hanlon set a new world record to retain his 200m T38 title.

Prue Watt surprised with a strong 100m breaststroke SB13 swim at the Aquatics Centre to add Australia's 31st gold medal.

Watt said it was a content mindset that helped her take the win.

"To win a gold medal is something that I have wanted for so long and I'm incredibly happy about that," said Watt.

"I think it's going to take a while to really kick in and actually realise that I've finally done it, but for the moment I am very content and very happy.

"I was actually really relaxed and through this whole competition my main tactic has been to stay as relaxed as I can.

"I think I've been able to do that fairly well and conserve all my energy to put into the race. I was really just wanting to give it my best, and that is what I did."

Australia ended its swimming campaign with 18 gold medals, its most since the 20 won at Stoke Mandeville in 1984, and a great improvement on Beijing's nine.

Jacqui Freney won eight of those, with Matt Cowdrey adding five.

The performance held Australia's position in the top five of the overall medal tally, a position it has had since Atlanta in 1996, with a final day of competition to come.

The Green and Gold sits fifth, just a single gold behind fourth-placed Ukraine.

Congratulations Canada great win .

these guys at the para-olympics inspire me , i have worked with handi-capped skiers and it was a very rewarding experience .

Archived