The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Evan Mcneny

Squeak

I would have thought he'd have to pass through the draft a few times to be able to be signed as a UFA. It seems like he's been eligible for 2 but I thought it'd have to be 3 years undrafted in order to become UFA, but I'm too busy to look up the details.

Anyways, he certainly fits the recent trend of picking up players who are more physically NHL-ready and it seems he has a pretty decent skill-set as well. It'll be interesting to see more on him as the junior season gets going.

I love these kind of signings, and the Canucks penchant for them. How much is there to lose giving a young guy like this an opportunity to prove himself?

The Slide Rule

Players signed to SPCs who are returned to Junior prior to playing 9 NHL games do not count towards a team’s SPC limit. Instead, those players would “slide” off the 50-SPC list while remaining on the larger 90-man Reserve List.

A blurb from Canucks Army up now, with a quote from Brock Otten of OHLProspects:

I remain steadfast in my opinion that had he played this year, McEneny would be in consideration for the top two rounds of the draft. He was impressive defensively as a 16 year old rookie, and it was clear through the preseason games and the first two games of the OHL season, that McEneny had added an offensive punch to his game. He's got size, mobility, physicality, and offensive potential from the back end. But he also suffered a season ending knee injury limiting his exposure to two games this year. If I was an NHL team, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick and hope he recovers well.

And Suter and Parise and Nash...

We were seriously involved in both Weber and Schultz though, but at least we got Garrison where Flyers have only been able to keep their own. Imagine what shape they'd be in on D if they hadn't traded JVR for Schenn.

Archived