The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Evan McEneny with an asist tonight on the winning goal, giving him 8 points in 13 games.  Pretty decent start to his pro career, considering how it started off with being injured.

Is being/getting excited about a C level prospect putting up 8 points in 13 games in the ECHL the new standard for optimism?  If so, I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2016 at 9:32 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

First pro goal for McEneny is the OT winner tonight, and he added an assist as well. 1-22-23 in 31 games this season and a +16, including 14 points in his last 14 games. Hope he and Cederholm have earned proper shots at the Comets next season.

Looks like they awarded that goal to someone else. Hockeydb has him at 0 goals, 23 assists and a +17 in 32 games. Still good numbers.

A rookie coming back from a lengthy injury to put up those kind of numbers is impressive. McEneny is too good for the ECHL, curious to see how he does a level up. Utica has a lot of non prospects on the blueline: Fedun, Landry, Ehrhardt, Negrin, Shields.

Would love to see McEneny and Cederholm in the mix next year, and hopefully we will have enough depth to fill the lower spots with prospects vs try out signings and randoms. 

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

There've been quite a few posts on McEneny's progress this season recently in the Utica thread but I figured I'd bump this thread for future discussions.

He seems to be really moving up the depth chart and becoming a player that deserves consideration as one of our notable defenseman prospects.

Here's another great writeup by "orcatown" over at HFBoards that I felt was worth sharing:

On McEneny 

Right now he is decent AHL defenseman which is above the expectations I had for him. He had pretty good year in the ECHL last year but I didn't see him making the Utica roster. Now he is clearly in the top 6 at the AHL level and I don't think it is a much of a stretch, with the way he is going, to see him in your top 4. At 22, if he can handle AHL hockey he becomes a prospect. (and in comparison I don't think Subban, given his defensive game, is adequate- he simply makes too many glaring errors)

In his limited action in the past he looked very fearful to do much more than fall back on defense and scramble the puck out of his zone. This year he has shown much more willingness to jump into the rush and challenge at his blue line. As the season has gone you can see him taking more chances and expanding his range of play. His play has become more assertive.

The best thing to like about McEneny is the smoothness of his skating. He is good in transition and has no trouble handling speed. And if he gets up in the play he can get back in position quickly. McEneny is a good skater.

Also his puck movement is good. He can make the quick plays under pressure (like a quick reverse on the backhand) and provides a good outlet to his defensive partner. Moreover, he is improving at keeping the puck in at the point.

The area McEneny needs to improve is handling plays around his net. Like Hutton he is prone to using stick to battle for pucks around the net rather than taking the body. Also he could improve his shot blocking and needs a little more maturity in reading plays around the net. Still he does take the right man on the rush and has good job of tying him up and not letting him get to the net. McEneny has adequate size (6'2" 210) and should develop enough strength to handle size around the net.

You can see a growing confidence in McEneny's game and you can see more and more that Green trusts McEneny. (Be good to see what Green says about him)

One fear I have is the Canuck brass might disregard any development in McEneny b/c they are so set on the plans they lay out. Once they set out on a path they seem to stubbornly and often stupidly follow it no matter what changes around them. Like Vey is an NHLer (when he was obviously not), Granlund and Megna plays regardless, Pedan will never be given a chance, etc, etc.... Also there is the factor that McEneny came from another regime so he isn't part of the so-called master plan. McEneny is an RFA next summer and you wonder if like others (Vrbata, Richardson) they just let him walk away since he wasn't originally in their plans.

• Upvote 3

I've been really impressed with McEneny so far. Earlier in the season he was in and out of the lineup, but with injuries and call-ups he's finally been given a chance to shine. He probably should have been in Utica last season instead of toiling away in the ECHL but he's making an impact now. Green trusts him in all situations (PP, PK, defending leads late) and although he's been playing sound defensively all year, the offense is finally starting to show too. 5 points in his last 4 games as well as being +8 during that time span (one was an empty net goal though). He's got a nice shot which he's shown a greater willingness to unleash and he's using his mobility to create chances in the offensive zone now.

It'd be a shame if the Canucks don't qualify him this summer because he's an "old regime" player or because they aren't paying as much attention to operations in Utica as they used to.

22 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I've been really impressed with McEneny so far. Earlier in the season he was in and out of the lineup, but with injuries and call-ups he's finally been given a chance to shine. He probably should have been in Utica last season instead of toiling away in the ECHL but he's making an impact now. Green trusts him in all situations (PP, PK, defending leads late) and although he's been playing sound defensively all year, the offense is finally starting to show too. 5 points in his last 4 games as well as being +8 during that time span (one was an empty net goal though). He's got a nice shot which he's shown a greater willingness to unleash and he's using his mobility to create chances in the offensive zone now.

It'd be a shame if the Canucks don't qualify him this summer because he's an "old regime" player or because they aren't paying as much attention to operations in Utica as they used to.

I would be stunned to find out that Benning would have any consideration as to who drafted a player. Also highly doubt that Canuck management is not following the play of their prospects in Utica closely. Canucks are in a rebuild and that is all about prospect development.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would be stunned to find out that Benning would have any consideration as to who drafted a player. Also highly doubt that Canuck management is not following the play of their prospects in Utica closely. Canucks are in a rebuild and that is all about prospect development.

I think Horvat, Hutton, Gaunce, etc. go a fair way toward disproving the idea that Benning has a bias against players drafted by previous regimes. But when it comes to more fringe prospects and the guys that haven't really caught on yet, there's probably some benefit to being a regime asset versus being from the previous regime(s). Easier to get noticed and stay in management's awareness when they've invested in a player and are "on the hook" for whether or not that player pans out.

As to the idea the Benning isn't paying attention to Utica, this is a perception driven largely by the way our AHL roster has been constructed the past couple years. Many Utica fans feel like Benning hasn't given them enough top level talent or overall depth to work with. This is probably a fair criticism, from their perspective, as the Comets would be much more competitive if they'd been given a couple more AHL "all star" types (like an AHL level 1C and 1D). But that might not have fit with the Canucks' plans for developing younger players or keeping open contract slots for potential TDL acquisitions or summer free agent signings (remains to be seen what happens this year).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Okay, I was probably a bit too vague there, my apologies. Your points are fair criticism. My concern on McEneny being squeezed out is more due to the defense prospects we'll see in Utica next season - Olson, Neill and Brisebois. No guarantee they'll all be signed of course but all three have developed reasonably well, and there isn't room for everyone. Since they're Benning's picks, he'll want them to have a chance to play so somebody could be squeezed out. McEneny and Pedan are the only relevant prospects on D in Utica whose contracts expire at the end of the year (Nilsson and Billins do as well but they'll both likely be replaced by other AHL vets.)

And of course the Canucks pay attention to what's going on in Utica but from what I've read by Utica posters it doesn't seem like its to the same degree as before. The Utica posters on HFBoards have mentioned how Henning and Gilman used to be regular sights at Comets games, but since both were fired almost nobody from the Canucks brass attends (Linden's been there once this season, I believe). I'm sure they keep tabs from afar as its in their best interests to but that and the lack of structure put into the Utica roster the past two years creates the impression that they've scaled things back slightly. (Someone who actually lives in Utica and watches games there would probably be able to explain this better than me since I'm just paraphrasing their opinions.)

56 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Okay, I was probably a bit too vague there, my apologies. Your points are fair criticism. My concern on McEneny being squeezed out is more due to the defense prospects we'll see in Utica next season - Olson, Neill and Brisebois. No guarantee they'll all be signed of course but all three have developed reasonably well, and there isn't room for everyone. Since they're Benning's picks, he'll want them to have a chance to play so somebody could be squeezed out. McEneny and Pedan are the only relevant prospects on D in Utica whose contracts expire at the end of the year (Nilsson and Billins do as well but they'll both likely be replaced by other AHL vets.)

And of course the Canucks pay attention to what's going on in Utica but from what I've read by Utica posters it doesn't seem like its to the same degree as before. The Utica posters on HFBoards have mentioned how Henning and Gilman used to be regular sights at Comets games, but since both were fired almost nobody from the Canucks brass attends (Linden's been there once this season, I believe). I'm sure they keep tabs from afar as its in their best interests to but that and the lack of structure put into the Utica roster the past two years creates the impression that they've scaled things back slightly. (Someone who actually lives in Utica and watches games there would probably be able to explain this better than me since I'm just paraphrasing their opinions.)

Fair enough.

I watched McEneny at the Prospects tourney in Penticton. He obviously had an NHL body. Played a pretty conservative game. I liked his positioning. Couple of point shots that were impressive.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wrong forum. This is Evan Mceneny talk.

I think he meant Olson might be in the ECHL which would allow Mceneny to play in Utica next year due to a less crowded blue line. The previous few posts highlighted concerns that Benning might not qualify him due to a surplus of Utica bound D prospects next year.

• Upvote 1