The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wrong forum. This is Evan Mceneny talk.

2 hours ago, OptionalPants said:

I think he meant Olson might be in the ECHL which would allow Mceneny to play in Utica next year due to a less crowded blue line. The previous few posts highlighted concerns that Benning might not qualify him due to a surplus of Utica bound D prospects next year.

Bingo 

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Neill could be, too. Brisebois is the only AHL lock out of the three. I hope McEneny gets a shot to stay and keep improving, there'll be a need for players like him in Utica who are in between an AHL vet and a green rookie next year.

That's true given the older players ahead of him. I was just basing it off what I saw from Olsen at the young stars tournsment, he didn't look like a guy that could step into the AHL next year but things could change.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Looks like the coach is not arguing with you, he is out there at the end of each period and in the last minute of games, as well as first unit on the PK.  When I watched the Canucks propects last fall, he was the best defenseman after Stetcher - even though McEneny only played one game.  He is a big guy and a strong skater.  His positioning is very good, and his gap control, excellent (best of all the prospects, actually).  He reads the attack very well and is rarely out of position.  It took several games before he broke the Comets lineup, but after that he just kept getting more and more time.  He also plays either side very well.  For Green to use a 22 year old defenseman the way he does, really says a lot about McEneny - Green uses a lot of veterans on D.  McEneny a great year in the ECHL last year, and he used that as a spring board to crack the Comets line-up this year - Canucks D prospects should keep that in mind next year if they don't make the Comets.  It will be crowded on the back end in Utica next year - and Green has a habit of relying on vets.  McEneny is showing that some time in the ECHL to get up to speed playing D in pro hockey is not necessarily a bad thing.

Good to hear.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Looks like the coach is not arguing with you, he is out there at the end of each period and in the last minute of games, as well as first unit on the PK.  When I watched the Canucks propects last fall, he was the best defenseman after Stetcher - even though McEneny only played one game.  He is a big guy and a strong skater.  His positioning is very good, and his gap control, excellent (best of all the prospects, actually).  He reads the attack very well and is rarely out of position.  It took several games before he broke the Comets lineup, but after that he just kept getting more and more time.  He also plays either side very well.  For Green to use a 22 year old defenseman the way he does, really says a lot about McEneny - Green uses a lot of veterans on D.  McEneny a great year in the ECHL last year, and he used that as a spring board to crack the Comets line-up this year - Canucks D prospects should keep that in mind next year if they don't make the Comets.  It will be crowded on the back end in Utica next year - and Green has a habit of relying on vets.  McEneny is showing that some time in the ECHL to get up to speed playing D in pro hockey is not necessarily a bad thing.

I can really see the Aces being a springboard to the AHL for a bunch of our prospects. Next year we have a bunch of late round picks that are going to get signed and start their pro careers. Some of those guys like Zhukenov might have to spend an overage year in junior, but they might just give them a shot at playing pro. I like that we have a group of guys all coming out at the same time and we're going to watch them all grow up together. Benning has done a masterful job of putting together a team to compliment the players he inherited from Gillis.

• Upvote 1

Canucks Army has a little writeup on McEneny as part of the "honourable mentions" for their midterm rankings:

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/2/2/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-honourable-mentions

EVAN MCENENY 

The forgotten man amongst Canucks defensive prospects, Evan McEneny has put himself back into the conversation after falling off the radar last season. McEneny was signed as a CHL free agent by the last Canucks' regim, and has taken the long road to the AHL, returning for his overage season in the OHL and even making a 38-game appearance in with the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings in 2015-16. 

In his first full season of AHL action, McEneny has been a staple on the Comets' blueline, playing mainly with Ashton Sautner in a second-pairing role at even-strength. McEneny also plays on both special teams, and seems to have earned the trust of Comets' head coach Travis Green.

IMG_0493.PNG.05007a8bc0be74950b95d4e598aa1111.PNG

An impressive 18% of McEneny's cohorts went on to play at least 200 NHL games according to the prospect Graduation Probabilities System, which is far and away the most impressive success percentage among unranked players. 

That 18% "graduation rate" (based on their cohort model) is pretty good for an undrafted free agent signing. Especially since McEneny's recent play suggests he might have a bit more offensive production in him than his overall AHL stats to-date suggest (and more points would force that 18% even higher).

Hearing occasional talk of McEneny being their "best skater prospect" from the fans in Utica. Some of this is likely reactionary and coming from their frustrations with Subban and Virtanen over this season, plus the fact that McEneny has played very well of late. But nonetheless, this season, especially into the second half, has seen McEneny make a strong case for him having legitimate NHL potential. 

Hopefully he's re-signed and given a chance to work his way up the organizational D depth chart, starting in Utica next season and possibly earning an NHL look with a callup to Vancouver at some point.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 4

A goal and assist tonight, in a Comets' 5-2 win.  This guy is legit.  He's been effective on the PP for the past few games, too.  He has obviously gained the confidence of the coaches, expect to see him get a long look this fall when we likely lose a defenceman in the expansion draft. 

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

A goal and assist tonight, in a Comets' 5-2 win.  This guy is legit.  He's been effective on the PP for the past few games, too.  He has obviously gained the confidence of the coaches, expect to see him get a long look this fall when we likely lose a defenceman in the expansion draft. 

Or this spring, after we trade a defenceman? B)

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Didn't you hear? Green doesn't know how to do that. 

Ya, but I thought they were talking about some inverse building project where they dig a hole under a nice patch of grass instead of building something on top of it. You know "prospects developing under green" it's probably an acronym for the project PDUG. Might be a new coaching fancy stat.

My coach has a +2.0 PDUG per season, what does yours have?

Pretty soon, we'll be saying Willie D has a bad PDUG in the media. That other coaches have better PDUG's and the system is broke.

It's bound to happen

• Upvote 2