The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Edler will not sign by 11:59 p.m.

D.Doughty

I'm curious about how the Canucks value Edler. There's 29 other teams that are lining up and some even willing to give insane offers for the young defense man. While, I think Gillis and company are still pondering those offers. Detroit and Philly are notables looking for their number 1 defense man. Since he's a Canuck, the team question about his inconsistencies, but at the same time hockey as a whole, know that even with Edler's inconsistencies that he is still one of the brightest young defense man in the league today.

There's already three defense man that are already locked up - Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa. Ballard, also has a big contract, but whether he is movable, we don't know. Now, we're all assuming Edler is going to get a big payday, so you have to wonder if the Canucks would rather go for someone else, maybe a player that in "their" eyes that is more consistent or perhaps, a few younger players and a cheaper top four that may be enough for them.

Detroit is desperate. Would not be surprised the slightest bit if Detroit goes all in, if Brendan Smith and Johan Franzen are part of a package to lure Edler. How could Vancouver not consider it?

and don't get this post out of context. I don't want Edler traded, and if he were indeed traded, I think I'd consider jumping wagons.

Edler is inconsistent and doesn't deserve 5.5 or more. Yea he is our best blue line point producer, but he isn't a star dman that deserves that much. Dmen like Duncan Keith, Kronwall, Myers, Carlsson, Subban, and others, are much more consistent than Edler, and giving him their type of money (Talking about Keith essentially as he gets just above 5.5) doesn't make sense. He hasn't yet been able to shine above the rest like how the players listed above have, and I personally think he's overvalued on our team, though he is a solid dman, just not worth 5.5

This pretty much sums it up:

Much more consistent? You have to consistently watch them on a nightly basis, which I doubt you do, to even make that statement. Subban being a perfect example of this: Over the last two seasons since PK has only been around that long .. he is not more physical than Edler, isn't as much of a shot blocker as Edler, hasn't tallied as many points as Edler and is a massive giveaway machine in comparison. So, he's better how, exactly? Because he shows more flash? Yeah, that's worked out so well for PK at times.

Edler is inconsistent and doesn't deserve 5.5 or more. Yea he is our best blue line point producer, but he isn't a star dman that deserves that much. Dmen like Duncan Keith, Kronwall, Myers, Carlsson, Subban, and others, are much more consistent than Edler, and giving him their type of money (Talking about Keith essentially as he gets just above 5.5) doesn't make sense. He hasn't yet been able to shine above the rest like how the players listed above have, and I personally think he's overvalued on our team, though he is a solid dman, just not worth 5.5

Archived