The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Future's Article on Canucks Prospects

Devoted

Friesen could become a very solid 4C or dependable 3C and as much as I think they would both endear themselves to our fans, I think LaBate will become a bigger Higgins-esque 2nd line tweener (Higgins-esque as in a consistent force that gives his all every game of the year and has that offensive tool kit, He's also much bigger though)

Yeah. I don't know Labate as much as Frisen, which is hardly at all. Frisen from what I heard skates fast and hard, doesn't quit, has some offensive, great defensively, great at faceoffs, and hits like a truck. I like all those attributes as my third line center.

But Labate could surprise me.

If Tavares stays where he is right now, and the team stays the same way, he won't. Tampa has a shot.

If we've got one complete line of high end prospects I think we're in pretty good shape to fill in this teams holes in the next couple of years.

Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian

Connauton Corrado

Lack

And a complete line of second tier prospects who have the potential to be just as good if not better.

Rodin - Labate - Schroeder (moves to wing)

McNally Sauve

Cannata

There's tons of good talent there without even including our dark horse prospects. This team should not be worried about it's future. It's not like they're in a rush to fill any holes in the next few seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

You're missing my point.

1) You pick the best/most skilled when it's available.

2) When you don't have an obviously skilled player to pick up, go for toughness.

3) Canucks being near 30th pick on 1st round of every year means there is no obviously skilled players for them to get.

4) Therefore, Canucks should be picking up bigger, tougher guys, and not hoping a non-obvious 5'11-6'0 forward is going to be a good 2nd/3rd line forward in the future.

Archived