The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The worst player ever to suit up as a Canuck...

Lui's Knob

dana murzyn. possible the slowest nhler in history and would rank high on worst puck handling decisions

brent sopel if he was a super hero tripping over invisible objects at the worst time would be his special power

messier. should go down in history as the worst captain and leader this francis has ever had. since his time in Vancouver when i think of the number 11 the word disgrace come to mind first.

dana murzyn. possible the slowest nhler in history and would rank high on worst puck handling decisions

brent sopel if he was a super hero tripping over invisible objects at the worst time would be his special power

messier. should go down in history as the worst captain and leader this francis has ever had. since his time in Vancouver when i think of the number 11 the word disgrace come to mind first.

Contract wise - Sundin. Huge overpayment for a guy who was at the end of his career. He did help Kesler develop though but still in terms of contract I say him.

Skill wise - Maybe King, Bulis, Chouniard? -> Players who had potential but not much else....

PS. I only got into the Canucks in early 2000's so choices before that era have not been considered but obviously Messier is a good one to pick.

See? This is exactly the 2nd grader mentality that I was talking about.

Imagine you're a fan of another NHL team. You come over to CDC just for a look and you see a thread where several posters are seriously calling the 2nd highest scoring player in NHL history "the worst ever"...

Most, if not all would shake their heads and say "only in Canuck country"...

Frankly, I find it embarrassing to be lumped in with you.

See? This is exactly the 2nd grader mentality that I was talking about.

Imagine you're a fan of another NHL team. You come over to CDC just for a look and you see a thread where several posters are seriously calling the 2nd highest scoring player in NHL history "the worst ever"...

Most, if not all would shake their heads and say "only in Canuck country"...

Frankly, I find it embarrassing to be lumped in with you.

Certainly not. If being the most effective player for the team and being one of the sole reasons they reach the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals is being a cancer, I'm curious how you view every other player on that roster. Throughout his time here, Pavel was a team player -- he killed penalties, sparked the team when they needed offense, and was well-liked by his teammates.

Here's his best friend, Gino Odjick, on Pavel's personality.

http://www.theprovin...5222/story.html

Here's Geoff Courtnall:

Pavel, as an individual, was very loyal to those who treated him well. He distanced himself, meanwhile, from those who tried to take advantage of him. On being a team player, Pavel backchecked, had incredible vision and above-average playmaking abilities, and demonstrated grit and tenacity. He played for his team, for the fans; his objective was to entertain the audience. He was hardly selfish.

At the very end of his tenure in Vancouver, he played in spite of the many baseless rumors circulating in the media. One can argue it was his worst season, though he still finished with the most assists on the team and amongst the highest +/- ratings on the roster.

Pavel was not a cancer. He always tried to honor his contracts and move on, but the team always manipulated the terms of his contracts and disputed every agreement they had made with him. The organization ultimately painted him as the villain and people took the bait.

It's an absolute disgrace to call Pavel Bure a cancer or a bad team player. He played for the team. He was excited when the team experienced success. He wanted to share the Stanley Cup with this city as badly as anybody else in the room.

Archived