The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] If NHL Season Isn't Lost to Lockout, this may be Perfect Storm for Schroeder

JohnLocke

I always wonder if our scouts etc... would pick the same player again at the position if they had to do it all over again. With JS, I believe the answer would be yes at this point as not very many prospects behind JS who could have picked have 'shocked' anyone. Maybe Lehner, but mostly nothing to write home about.

With that said, I wonder if they may have gone with more size up front. I hope JS works out, but every year is another thought of Steve Kariya etc...

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Great speed, and it looks like he has good vision, but you have to be really special to succeed at the NHL with that lack of size. Ronning, Fleury, St Louis... It seems like there are no 'average' small guys in the NHL. At that size, you're either a star or you don't make it.

Not meaning to sound harsh. The lockout is starting to affect my general hockey mood.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Great speed, and it looks like he has good vision, but you have to be really special to succeed at the NHL with that lack of size. Ronning, Fleury, St Louis... It seems like there are no 'average' small guys in the NHL. At that size, you're either a star or you don't make it.

Not meaning to sound harsh. The lockout is starting to affect my general hockey mood.

Yeah the problem is he's more like 5'7" not 5'9". 5'9" is on the small side for a hockey player but below that you're just out-sized by everyone big time. I have faith in the professionals who scouted him though, they obviously saw some amazing skill or he wouldn't have been drafted nearly as high.

He's boom or bust, all small guys are unfortunately. I for one think his progression is going very well and he will round out to a full time NHL, be that a journeyman or a star. From what I've seen with Schroeder on the Wolves this past season his defensive game has grown leaps and bounds, combine this with (as the article states) a desire to finish and you have yourself a nice two way centre.

I hope he tears up the AHL this year. Gillis is going to have to figure out who is on their way out, when you have guys like Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Connauton, Corrado and Tanev NHL ready. They will all be looking for NHL jobs in the not too distant future.

Archived