The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying a Car and the Cost of Maintaining It

RyanKeslord17

Hey guys, so I was really wondering, what would be the best choice for a used car, nothing fancy for a teen going into college? I was thinking along the lines of a Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla. Any tips on what to go for? Has anybody bought or is currently using a used car? From where did you guys get it? I know CL is a very popular option, but is there anywhere else I can get it from? How often do car dealerships sell away cars that model from 2000-2002ish?

Not keen on spending anything more than say $7000, because this is a gift from my folks and I don't want anything special, just a car to get me from point A to B, but at the same time being vey reliable. Plus, once I get a full time job after schooling, I will probably work to getting an upgrade anyway ;)

However, I do have to maintain the car and pay the bills to keep it running. This includes gas, insurance, servicing and other problems that may occur? How much does this come to monthly? I do have a part time job but I'm really unsure of the hours I will get once I start uni. Has anybody here ever managed maintaining a car while in school? If so any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance to everyone, and any thoughts are welcome. If you think owning a car is a bad idea while in school, I'm open to your suggestions :)

For $7000 you can not only get something that will get you from point A to B, but also something pretty nice. It won't compare to the much more expensive vehicles, but for a young person $7000 gets you a lot.

If you avoid the flashier used cars, for the money you should be able to get something with fairly low mileage on it, and in the case of some of the crappy brands almost a brand new car. My Buick was 2 years old when I bought it for $9600, and was originally a $30,000 car, to give you an idea how fast the value of american cars can go down. With that in mind $7k can get you a lot.

Going Japanese, or some brand that is more reliable is probably the way to go. These cars will often be more expensive used as they hold their value really well. They are also quite popular so you get a slight social boost going for a boring Japanese sedan over a boring american sedan (doesn't really apply to the flashier cars). These cars are great because if you don't keep it very long you can re-sell it and get a lot of your money back (sadly getting into an accident will kill this dream), and if you keep it for a long time it should be reliable enough not to cost you a ton for repairs.

So anything that holds value well and is reliable will be a little bit more expensive to buy, but you will be better off in the long run. You are probably also going to want something good on gas, as this will likely be your biggest expense, even more than buying the car itself.

Maintenance is simple unless you get a car with lots of miles on it, make sure not to neglect oil changes (this will cost you a lot later on) and replace the brake pads before they run out completely to avoid expensive brake jobs. Keep an eye on your tire tread, and prepare to buy new tires at least once if you get a used car (and check the tires at purchase to see what you are getting). Other than that, keep your fluids topped up, which isn't all that expensive. Generally cars with less luxury options and computerized stuff will require less repairs, google the models you are interested in to see the availability and cost of parts.

Well there's my advice, but I am not a "car guy" so make sure you discuss with as many of your friends/family as possible, and get lots of opinions, for the money you have to spend, you should be able to get something that you really like.

If you have cash, you can get a good deal on Kijiji or Autotrader if you don't mind paying for an inspection and some repairs that may come with private sales. As for your car choice, my first car was a 98 Corolla and it was great. I had it for 2 years up until 300,000km and I had no problems with it, and my insurance was very cheap even considering the steep price us teens get.

For $7,000 you can get a great car if you look for private sales, even if it means you have to do a little work yourself or get small repairs as long as you get it properly inspected, especially Civic's and Corolla's. Good luck!

Remember to get it inspected before buying it.

I've had my first car for two years now. Bought it for $3300, probably put $2000 in repairs in. Just because the two things that went wrong were expensive ($1500 worth) and then $500 was just fluid flushes and spark plugs.

Needless to say, its an awful investment, especially since I'm in school as well but its well worth it to have a car, if you don't mind the financial risks..

Alright, thanks again for the awesome advice guys, much appreciated. So say I make $400 on a part time job per month, does this leave me enough for my gas and insurance? It equates to $4800/year. I live in Richmond and I'm thinking I'll be in BCIT, but it could be SFU. So as for gas I would be spending say $150/month? Insurance around $150 as well? Or are my values a bit off? That will cut it a bit fine as for my own spending money.

Alright, thanks again for the awesome advice guys, much appreciated. So say I make $400 on a part time job per month, does this leave me enough for my gas and insurance? It equates to $4800/year. I live in Richmond and I'm thinking I'll be in BCIT, but it could be SFU. So as for gas I would be spending say $150/month? Insurance around $150 as well? Or are my values a bit off? That will cut it a bit fine as for my own spending money.

I mean, it's not like they won't help me at all lol. It's just that I don't want to be too spoiled :P

My plan is to repay their favour somehow after my schooling and once I get a full time job. So they will help me a little with the costs associated with the car. It might even be 50/50.

Again, this car is just to get me through the tough times of bussing to university. My parents feel it's better to travel quickly and efficiently in a car, and have more time for school rather than wasting it on travel. I will be selling it after, so some of the money will be regained as well.

Archived