The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need help with finding breed of dog

lx Birdie xl

Title might be a bit misleading it might not.. on 4 hours of sleep. Anyways a little bit of a back story.

I live in northern Sask.. The communities arnt exactly that 'great.' The people next door got a new puppy for one of their kids(should never have been given a dog.) We watched it play everyday as we worked on the addition to the house Im staying at and fell in love with it. Over time we see that it was not being properly being taken care of.. abused and a little neglected(lack of any attention what so ever.)

Anyways I heard last week my ex gf(still on good terms) wanted a dog. But nothing clued into our head about this puppy. A few days ago we were sitting outside having a smoke and we heard yelling coming from the house next door.. The puppy came running out the door and a woman followed it and kicked it down some steps(only 2 but not the point.) Me and the guy Im helping looked at each other knowing exactly what we needed to do.. The next time we were gonna head south we were gonna take the dog(I know stealing is wrong but saving a dog from what would probably be a horrible life.) Yesterday the guy Im helping was offered a small job to drive south to pick some stuff up and would be the best time to get the dog to its new home but we were unable to find a chance to take the dog. We then talked to the owners and convinced them to give us the dog(well at a cost of 20$ but will be worth every penny) and it is currently on its way to its new home.

Here are the best photos I was able to take as it was always moving when awake and always completely on its side or feet straight up in the air when sleeping. All I need is a rough idea of the breed. The first photo was taken about a month ago.. seen it sleeping like this when I happened to be next door and well it was cute.

Here are the photos

img2012082400573.jpg

img2012092400638.jpg

it's hard to tell the breed when they are puppies, since so many breeds look the same when they are young. the coat looks almost shih-tzu-esque, but the face is totally wrong and the muzzel is WAY too large for a shih-tzu, so it could be a mix; it may be a shih-tzu maltese mix (based on the 1st pic especially), or a shih-tzu/terrier mix (based off the 2nd pic).

either way, odds are good (based on the paw size/dimensions) it's going to be a small dog.

Good for you for saving this puppy. In the first photo it looks like its maybe 5 -6 weeks old which is far too young to leave its mother. As to breed, it looks like some sort of cross but no way of knowing until its maybe a year old. The size of a puppys feet often gives away the approximate size the dog will grow to be. Damn, I would have taken this little guy to get it away from being treated badly.

Title might be a bit misleading it might not.. on 4 hours of sleep. Anyways a little bit of a back story.

I live in northern Sask.. The communities arnt exactly that 'great.' The people next door got a new puppy for one of their kids(should never have been given a dog.) We watched it play everyday as we worked on the addition to the house Im staying at and fell in love with it. Over time we see that it was not being properly being taken care of.. abused and a little neglected(lack of any attention what so ever.)

Anyways I heard last week my ex gf(still on good terms) wanted a dog. But nothing clued into our head about this puppy. A few days ago we were sitting outside having a smoke and we heard yelling coming from the house next door.. The puppy came running out the door and a woman followed it and kicked it down some steps(only 2 but not the point.) Me and the guy Im helping looked at each other knowing exactly what we needed to do.. The next time we were gonna head south we were gonna take the dog(I know stealing is wrong but saving a dog from what would probably be a horrible life.) Yesterday the guy Im helping was offered a small job to drive south to pick some stuff up and would be the best time to get the dog to its new home but we were unable to find a chance to take the dog. We then talked to the owners and convinced them to give us the dog(well at a cost of 20$ but will be worth every penny) and it is currently on its way to its new home.

Here are the best photos I was able to take as it was always moving when awake and always completely on its side or feet straight up in the air when sleeping. All I need is a rough idea of the breed. The first photo was taken about a month ago.. seen it sleeping like this when I happened to be next door and well it was cute.

Here are the photos

Yea he was quite small.. I even told them he was too small to be taken from his parents.. In the month since that first pic he pretty much doubled in size.. And still managed to keep that HUGE belly it has. I wasnt looking for an exact breed.. since chances are it wasnt purebread. Just wanted an idea.. Im no expert when it comes to knowing breeds of dogs. I just wanted to get this guy out of that home.

Archived