The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sikh Woman Defends Facial Hair After Photo Goes Viral

Sharpshooter

Good for her for standing up for her freedom, and here's to seeing if she can grow a better playoff beard in 10 years next season. cheersd.gif

Yes. I thought that was strange as well. I guess he's not really commenting on the religious aspect but more on the you shouldn't be a douchebag aspect.

The main focus of the subject I reckon. The main focus being the ability for a young woman to preserve her self-worth and dignity in the face of public humiliation. An attempt that had nothing to do with her religious beliefs, but for her outward appearance. Had the thrust of the subject been her religion, then the ridicule and criticism of her and her religion's hypocrisy, would have been easy pickin's as they are when the subject is about invariably any religion. But, that wasn't the focus here. This remarkable young woman's character and its affect on those around her, was and continues to be the focus.

I love his comment "Put simply it was stupid. Making fun of people is funny to some but incredibly degrading to the people you're making fun of. It was an incredibly rude, judgmental, and ignorant thing to post."

That should be the unwritten rule of everyone here on CDC.

That is, we should all to think about that comment before we post something.

Your attempt to hijack the words of the perpetrator of the original attempt to humiliate and laugh at Balpreet's expense in order to seek cover for the ridicule your belief in fairy tales for adults is duly noted.

However, making fun of someone for their natural features or naturally normal, though culturally abnormal appearance is not akin to the choice one has when they make choice to believe in supernatural superstitions and then make covenants with imaginary beings, since the former doesn't have the affect on society as the latter.

Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from Balpreet in not playing the victim while belonging to an organization that has and continues to victimize little boys, denies human beings equal rights, proselytizes against the use of birth control and disease preventative measures, and which callously calls everyone a sinner while commanding they be saved or spend all eternity being punished and tortured.

I'd never make fun, nor laugh at the expense of these people for deciding wear certain garments, or to conform to some hairstyle or other bodily feature though.

Hate the sin, not the sinner, as it were. ;)

Archived