The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sikh Woman Defends Facial Hair After Photo Goes Viral

Sharpshooter

I think she was able to handle the comments directed to her with grace because she saw it as an attack or test of her religion/faith and not a personal condemnation of how different from the norm she might be. Like others have alluded to that source of "strength" is a scary thing when it's based, to quote her, on "the divinity from within".

I don't get it. Are we supposed to admire this person for standing up for her beliefs? Or are we supposed to ridicule her beliefs as well as her for having those beliefs in the first place? (Both i guess. Just have the second part start with 'Post-Script.')

I don't get it. Are we supposed to admire this person for standing up for her beliefs? Or are we supposed to ridicule her beliefs as well as her for having those beliefs in the first place? (Both i guess. Just have the second part start with 'Post-Script.')

Childish? Hardly. I think it's gross. Are we not allowed to post legitimate opinions around here without someone taking issue with it? What a joke. I knew it would get a reaction because that is how people are, but that's not going to stop me from posting, within board rules of course. There was nothing wrong with what I said. Quit crying.

Maybe she just reflects the fact that these people don't really care what antitheists think of them. Is it her character strength? Or is it just that your opinion on her or her beliefs has been deemed worthless as a default?

Besides, a constant attack on a belief system will only serve to inoculate it. This is why it is tough to convert a person with lifelong beliefs into one with no beliefs, or an unbelief.

No, the only way antitheists could've prevented her from having this happen to her (and she didn't really care in the first place) is to strip her family of their religious freedom, (perhaps kill them) and to program her 'correctly' from birth. Justifiable though, as religion is inherently violent, right?

After thousands of years, it should be quite clear why religous people have absolutely problem with sticking to their beliefs. You don't like 'em? So what? You attack 'em? They get stronger. You want them to lose their beleifs? They form stronger ones.

It'll take a major, possibly world-ending event for this to change.

Maybe she just reflects the fact that these people don't really care what antitheists think of them. Is it her character strength? Or is it just that your opinion on her or her beliefs has been deemed worthless as a default?

Besides, a constant attack on a belief system will only serve to inoculate it. This is why it is tough to convert a person with lifelong beliefs into one with no beliefs, or an unbelief.

No, the only way antitheists could've prevented her from having this happen to her (and she didn't really care in the first place) is to strip her family of their religious freedom, (perhaps kill them) and to program her 'correctly' from birth. Justifiable though, as religion is inherently violent, right?

After thousands of years, it should be quite clear why religous people have absolutely problem with sticking to their beliefs. You don't like 'em? So what? You attack 'em? They get stronger. You want them to lose their beleifs? They form stronger ones.

It'll take a major, possibly world-ending event for this to change.

Archived