The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Running injury

Captain Aerosex

So I've been doing these 15k runs Sunday through Thursday for the past 3 weeks in an attempt to keep myself in shape while at school, and I started to feel this dull throbbing pain on the inward side of my shins. It'd be worse mostly right after a run, be a dull ache the rest of the time. It kept getting progressively worse each day, so I decided to not play soccer yesterday and make it a complete day off exercise. But last night I had to run down a bus and it really amplified the pain to the point where it was actually hurting to walk, not just like the ache it had been.

Are there any more medically astute individuals here who have advice or diagnoses or what have you? I don't want to have to go to a doctor if I don't have to. I also don't want to have to stop running for long, but I equally don't want to screw myself up and be out with something worse for a long time.

For what it's worth, I'm 18, male, about 6'3, 170 pounds. I'm pretty lanky, and I've got really flat feet (size 13.5 if that matters). The shoes are kind of old, but they have arch support. The only major leg injury I've had was a really bad sprain in my left ankle last year. And though I'm a pretty good runner, running this much is something I just started this month.

Your shin splints are a either from junk /worn out shoes, or a rapid increase in training intensity and duration.

I'm pretty much addicted to trail running, its a lot easier on your joints and shins, you should take it up!

Btw what shoes are you currently running in?

Seeing a doctor probably wont help much unless you have a very knowledgeable doctor sports medicine.

Youll most likely get the standard RICE action plan.

Shin splits are a bitch. I got a bad case of them during pre season of one of my Jr A lacrosse seasons and couldnt afford to take rest. Got worse and worse.

Stop running on cement. Try to run on softer surfaces and of course good shoes.

Hrm. Be careful. I had a weird shin thing a while ago. It hurt a decent amount when I ran but was significantly worse when I walked. It took a month of cutting off pretty much everything (I don't do water so swimming was out) before I could even walk without pain again and another two before I could run. I had initially thought I just tweaked something so I powered through it for a couple days and I think that was the biggest mistake.

Archived