The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malkin or Crosby?

Malkin. For all you guys who say Crosby is the better player, I will ask the same question here as I did on another thread. If we were to have a repeat of last season and Crosby is limited to 22 games again and Malkin once again goes on to win another Art Ross and maybe the Hart, would you guys still say Crosby is better than Malkin? Or nothing will change your minds?

OK. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on who the better player is. But consider this. All of you saying how awesome Sid was last season scoring 37 points in 22 games, Malkin also played in all those 22 games. Don't tell me that dosen't matter who's playing to the opposing coach. Like I didn't watch any Pens games except for the Flyers series so I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on that team. I don't even know if they were on the same line or did Bylsma split them. But with Crosby and Malkin playing, Sid might not have had to face the top defence pairing or top shut down line. While Malkin was able to score 109 points playing in 53 games without Sid the Kid. Night after night, he had to face the top defence pair and top opposing teams lines. Also lets not forget how he transformed James Neal from a 50 point scorer into an 80 point scorer. Maybe one day we'll see how well Sid does with Malkin out of the lineup.

OK. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on who the better player is. But consider this. All of you saying how awesome Sid was last season scoring 37 points in 22 games, Malkin also played in all those 22 games. Don't tell me that dosen't matter who's playing to the opposing coach. Like I didn't watch any Pens games except for the Flyers series so I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on that team. I don't even know if they were on the same line or did Bylsma split them. But with Crosby and Malkin playing, Sid might not have had to face the top defence pairing or top shut down line. While Malkin was able to score 109 points playing in 53 games without Sid the Kid. Night after night, he had to face the top defence pair and top opposing teams lines. Also lets not forget how he transformed James Neal from a 50 point scorer into an 80 point scorer. Maybe one day we'll see how well Sid does with Malkin out of the lineup.

Malkin was in and out of the line up for the first half of last season, with a nagging injury, and Crosby had one of the most dominant stretches of hockey in the last 20 years. Not to mention, Crosby has been playing against the other teams' top defenders since he was 18. When Malkin went on his Conn Smythe run, Crosby was the one matching up against the other teams' best defenders.

As well, James Neil is a pretty damn good player and, even in Dallas, was pegged as a 60-70 point guy in his prime. Crosby put up 120 points with Nils Ekman and Colby Armstrong and plays most of his hockey with Pascal Dupuis.

Malkin was in and out of the line up for the first half of last season, with a nagging injury, and Crosby had one of the most dominant stretches of hockey in the last 20 years. Not to mention, Crosby has been playing against the other teams' top defenders since he was 18. When Malkin went on his Conn Smythe run, Crosby was the one matching up against the other teams' best defenders.

As well, James Neil is a pretty damn good player and, even in Dallas, was pegged as a 60-70 point guy in his prime. Crosby put up 120 points with Nils Ekman and Colby Armstrong and plays most of his hockey with Pascal Dupuis.

Both players healthy then I'd take Crosby any day. As for if I was picking for next season, I'd still take Crosby because I believe his concussion issues are behind him after all his time off plus extended off season training due to the lockout. Malkin always seems to have a nagging injury at least every other season, usually his knees or hips. Joint problems are pretty hard to overcome. And Crosby has never had any joint issues.

Crosby would have one of the most impressive trophy cases in NHL history, at the age of 25, if not for his injury history. The guy lead the league in PPG every year that he was injured and is 4th all-time in PPG.

When they're both healthy, it's Crosby.

Crosby would have one of the most impressive trophy cases in NHL history, at the age of 25, if not for his injury history. The guy lead the league in PPG every year that he was injured and is 4th all-time in PPG.

When they're both healthy, it's Crosby.

What are you talking about? Malkin only missed 7 games last year and Sid wasn't in the lineup for any of those games. When Crosby did come back last season, Sid scored 37 points in 22 games, while Malkin had 35 points in those 22 games. Guess Malkin had his own dominent stretch as well.

As for the year when Sid got 120 points, he was mostly playing with Recchi and Malone. Recchi does have over 1500 career points so he knows how to score. As for Ekman, he only played 34 games in one season with the Pens, scored 15 points and by then, Malkin was already on the team.

You're right, the league should just pro rate Crosby's stats every year. So last year he really should've had 138 points and the year before 132 points. With those point totals, Crosby would've easily been awarded the Art Ross and the league should also take back the Hart Trophies won by Perry and Malkin and given it to Crosby.

Crosby. He's a type of guy that you only get once per decade. When he plays, he's 20% better than anyone else in the league. When he plays healthy, he's 30% better.

There's just no one even close to his level.

Archived