The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark announces plans to replace George Massey Tunnel

key2thecup

There are a number of options to look at. There's no smoking gun/easy to do answer though.

Road pricing

Regional tolls

Some form of tax

Congestion charges

Limiting trucks/commercial to certain hours

any combination of any of the above.

The problem is translink, municipalities and regional districts are all children of the Province. They have to go through the province to get anything approved. But the province isn't willing to engage. So it's all kinda moot until they do. Meanwhile, they plow ahead contrary to what translink, municipalities and the region are advocating for by building/expanding highways.

But doing nothing or just building more roads aren't real options. Especially with more and more information we're getting regarding lower volumes of traffic, higher gas prices, reduced gas consumption, parking rates downtown are dropping like crazy cause they can't fill them up, they can't fill them up because traffic into downtown is the same now as it was in the 1960's. Cycling mode share is up, the transit mode share is up, transit volumes are up. I mean what about any of this says build more roads?

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10939103">snapback.pngJ.R., on 12 October 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

That most people don't commute to Vancouver due to the city driving people/businesses out?

Should I bother asking you to back up that claim with evidence or just assume you don't have it...

Since you ignored the content of my post, here's an article for you to read if you choose: http://www.theglobea...article4550376/

:rolleyes:

Seriously? Look at any translink planning report. Greatest growth in travel and largest change in pattern is traffic having changed from going suburb to downtown to going suburb to suburb.

That's why you see the single tunnel lane and the light on 91 northbound both backed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up on a daily basis, why the queenbourough south is backed up every morning (I drive by the queue on Stewardson all the time), and why the Port Mann is backed up westbound every afternoon. It's why 40% of Port Mann bridge traffic gets on one exit before crossing and gets off one exit after. It's why Burrard peninsula municipalities are clogged with commuters trying to cross over on side streets as it's the only way to get where they are going.

Every road and every transit system is built to go downtown where the overwhelming majority of growth (still miniscule in the region though the effort downtown is decent) is residential. The overwhelming majority of residential, office, industrial, and commercial space is in the suburbs. You freaking know this.

There are a number of options to look at. There's no smoking gun/easy to do answer though.

Road pricing

Regional tolls

Some form of tax

Congestion charges

Limiting trucks/commercial to certain hours

any combination of any of the above.

The problem is translink, municipalities and regional districts are all children of the Province. They have to go through the province to get anything approved. But the province isn't willing to engage. So it's all kinda moot until they do. Meanwhile, they plow ahead contrary to what translink, municipalities and the region are advocating for by building/expanding highways.

But doing nothing or just building more roads aren't real options. Especially with more and more information we're getting regarding lower volumes of traffic, higher gas prices, reduced gas consumption, parking rates downtown are dropping like crazy cause they can't fill them up, they can't fill them up because traffic into downtown is the same now as it was in the 1960's. Cycling mode share is up, the transit mode share is up, transit volumes are up. I mean what about any of this says build more roads

Quickly booted? The surrey mayor is the most popular person in BC politically and she's advocating for region wide tolls. You seem stuck on this mind set that politicians are afraid to do anything, and so I wonder how anything would ever get done in your world?

Anyway, like I said, this is going nowhere.

I didn't say I disagreed or don't think more inter community commuting is on the rise. But he said it is the majority (ignoring his stupid Vancouver is driving people out comment). So is it? Show me some stats. I commute from Vancouver to the suburbs every day and the line up on the Knight street bridge going into town is always really long... So does my story win?

\]

Does it matter if it's a small majority or large minority? It's a LOT either way. Ask New West or North Delta how many suburb to suburb commuters there are!

And no, your story doesn't win. How much you want to bet a lot of those people are going to Burnaby or the North shore!

And it's not a stupid comment that Vancouver is driving people out. They might not think that they are but the high cost of parking, the incredible amount of congestion, the ridiculous cost of office or residential space and the very high taxes (all of which are partially or fully attributable to city policies) go directly into the business decisions that determine office locations just as much as they go into the personal decisions people make when they choose where to live.

Quickly booted? The surrey mayor is the most popular person in BC politically and she's advocating for region wide tolls. You seem stuck on this mind set that politicians are afraid to do anything, and so I wonder how anything would ever get done in your world?

Anyway, like I said, this is going nowhere.

It's going nowhere because you refuse to use any common sense.

Of course it's popular for Ms. Watts to support a region wide tolls. I love the idea of tolling north shore bridges to pay for improvements south of the Fraser. Stack up the congestion charges downtown and put in my express bus!

Of course people in Surrey like that idea! They know they have to pay tolls anyways so why not drag everyone else along!

Watch how well that would work out if she was saying the same thing from a provincial position though! I am sure you also noted what North Van had to say about here region wide tolling idea. If not, I can give you a hit - they were less than supportive.......

Archived